Well, I got the results from the vet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evillaurd

The Fly
Our dog has had a lot of breathing problems lately, especially through the nose. A month or two ago she was having persistent nosebleeds, so we took her to the vet for a check-up in case there was something there. The vet said she couldn't find anything by examining her nose, but if we came back for a scope they might find something. Now, you see, my mum loves our dogs. She feared the worst, and tried every trick in the book not to have to take her for a proper scan. Two months on, however, and she started having serious breathing problems and it was affecting her eating, so I finally took her back today.

And the results are in. The vet called, and said she has a tumor blocking her whole right nasal passage. Not only that, but it's spread to the lymph node as well. He says there's no point putting her through surgery as the survival rates are about the same as those who go untreated, but my dad's picking her up today and is going to talk through the options with the vet.

Our dogs (both sisters) have been a part of our family for nearly seven years now, and the two of them are inseperable. I honestly can't see how the other one's going to cope without her. And my mum sounded severley distressed over the phone when I told her the news. I mean, I'm leaving after the summer to go to university, and, with my sister already at uni, that leaves the house pretty much empty. It'll be even emptier with only the one dog.

Right now I'm wavering between a state of numbness and crying. I know it probably sounds silly to be this upset over a pet, but it really feels as if I'm going to be losing a part of my family in the coming months. Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. I think it helps just to get this off my chest.

I'm so sorry for the bad news :( :hug: It's NOT SILLY to be upset about a pet. Please dont even feel that way. Pets are a part of your family, your children and its completely natural and understandable that you would be upset. In fact I've been more upset over a sick or dying pet than over a human. There is just something about the innocence, and unconditional love a pet gives you that makes you hold them so close to your heart. And especially for those that dont have children, they feel like they are your kids.

There's nothing silly at all about it and don't let anyone make you feel that way, because you need to grieve your loss.

I have lost several pets and I know how painful it is :hug:

Thanks guys :hug:

She's home now. She still seems a bit groggy from the anaesthetic, but otherwise she seems fine. The vet says he recommends just letting her live with it, but when she begins to really suffer from it then we should have her put down :( I suppose it's for the best, I don't think any of us want her to suffer for longer than is necessary, but until then I want to spend as much time with her (and her sister) as possible - which will be much easier once my exams are over!

Thanks again for the words of support, they really help!

I passed through something like that a few years ago. the disease was different but we had to put him down after a while. Losing a pet is a horrible thing to happen. So hang in there :hug: Spend as much time with her as you can;)

I'm so sorry :( :hug: It's not silly at all - dogs are called man's best friend for a reason. Hopefully you will get to spend some good time with her before it progresses too far.

I had a dog for 15 yrs. We all were gutted the day she was put to sleep, but it was cruel to let her go on.
Dogs are great pals and are part of the family.................CATS ARE VERMIN THO

Sicy said:
I'm so sorry for the bad news :( :hug: It's NOT SILLY to be upset about a pet. Please dont even feel that way. Pets are a part of your family, your children and its completely natural and understandable that you would be upset. In fact I've been more upset over a sick or dying pet than over a human. There is just something about the innocence, and unconditional love a pet gives you that makes you hold them so close to your heart. And especially for those that dont have children, they feel like they are your kids.

:up: :yes:

:hug: I'm so sorry. It is very hard to lose a pet. And you are allowed to cry and grieve. It's perfectly normal and natural. I'm sure the next few months will be some of your most memorable with her. :) :hug:

My kitty is my furry son, so I can completely understand your love and attachment. I'm sorry you're having to go through this :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Losing a beloved pet is incredibly hard to face (I know -- I've done it many times). Just make the most of the time you have left and savory all the good times you have with her. :hug:

I know a lot of people don't like to think about this at such a time, but don't rule out the possibility of getting another dog or puppy. It's probably not a good time to get it while your dog is sick because it may be stressful to her, and you don't want that. But having another dog can help you, your family, and your other dog (and trust me, dogs do mourn. They may not understand the concept of death, but they know the other dog is gone and they do miss it) cope with the grief afterwards.

I forgot to mention that as for your other dog, she'll have you guys to help her cope with the loss of her friend and sister. She'll mourn, but as long as she has you guys, and perhaps some extra love and attention, she'll be alright.
My two pups were practically attached at the hip, and even now, months later I still think he misses his "brother". But now he just attaches himself to my hip instead.

Keep us updated. :hug:

I'm so sorry about your dog. I used to have a dog. She was part of the family and we were very sad when she died. I'll pray for your dog.

Back
Top Bottom