Weight loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daygloeyes2

Blue Crack Addict
Me, May 2006
photo-16.jpg

Me, late January 2012

photo-10.jpg

Big difference, right? I gained around 100 lbs in between those two photos. The first 20 I gained a few months after I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and out of the "honeymoon" period. It's a common side effect of going on insulin.

The next 80 was lack of exercise and horrible eating habits. I had many stressful things happen in that six year period and I turned to food for comfort. I was always a member of the clean plate club. While I had alcohol before my 21st birthday, after that I drank more often. I never had a drinking problem and never felt dependent on alcohol, but the extra calories and the hunger from drinking booze did not help my weight at all. I always kept telling myself I'd start a diet, start going to the gym, and stick to it. I would lose 15 lbs here and there, then gain it all back. I developed problems with sciatica which were worsened by waitressing and my blood sugar levels weren't terrible, but I could never seem to get them to where they should be. I hated looking at myself in the mirror. When I went out, I always felt people were looking at me and judging me. My struggle with my weight began when I hit puberty. I always told myself "Yeah, I'm overweight, but I'll never be 100 lbs overweight or anything line that." Famous last words, right? I am not exaggerating when I say I was on pace to hit 300 lbs by the end of 2012 on January 1st.

On January 3rd, I was fired from my job. I was angry, but at the same time I hated my job so it was a blessing in disguise. Because I was terminated, I was able to collect unemployment while looking for another job. I was glad I hadn't quit as I had been tempted to do many times. Having time off gave me time to think about my life. I finally admitted to myself what I was trying to deny: that I was obese and gaining more weight every day. This couldn't continue, and changes were necessary.

Changes were made, big and small. I cut back on the drinking, cut back on going out, and started eating at home. My portions were reduced dramatically. I used fat free half and half instead of cream, got rid of the cheese on certain things, switched to egg whites instead of scrambled eggs, had two sides of veggies with meals instead of a carb and a veggie, cut back on the diet soda and drank mostly water, etc. I made myself walk at least two miles a day. When I started my new job and we were trying out all sorts of delicious and unhealthy foods they offered, I walked a couple of extra miles every day after training so the food wouldn't ruin the small amount of progress that I had made. It worked. I didn't gain any weight that week.

The first month was the toughest. I was tempted so many times to just say screw it, and go back to my old ways. What helped a lot was the healthy menu at work. There are many delicious things on there under 600 calories, but they taste awesome so you would never believe it. My restaurant is pretty big and usually steady. You're constantly walking from one end to the other. A coworker told me she brought in a pedometer and on an average shift, she walked 3-4 miles. I was working 6 days a week and that helped a lot.

photo-15.jpg

I took that picture a few hours ago. I have lost 50 lbs in 7 months. I'm halfway to my goal. If you told me that I would achieve this last year, i would have laughed at you. I was hoping to be down the full 100 by January 1st, but due to breaking my leg I think it will take a little longer. Clothes that have not fit in 2+ years fit again. My last A1C was the lowest I've had since my diagnosis. Aside from pain after a double without a break, my sciatic pain is almost non-existent.

I posted this to brag a little bit :wink:, but that isn't the only reason. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board who has struggled with my weight. I wanted to share my story to hopefully tell others they're not alone, and it is possible to lose the weight without surgery(though I understand it is needed in some cases) or doing anything drastic or giving up food. Personally, seeing my mom lose 60 lbs after struggling with her weight for 20 years and seeing friends of mine lose the weight inspired me. It showed me it was possible. Anyways, I'm proud of myself for how far I've come and I'm excited to see how far I'll go.

OK, this was pretty TL; DR so if you read this all I very much appreciate it. :lol:

Awesome! Keep fighting the good fight.

I am on a diet too. Started in February. I weighed and then decided not to weigh again until April (60 days). Cutting back certain fatty foods, cutting sugar almost totally out, cutting fast food almost to nil. Trying to do something active, every day, for an hour, sometimes two, even when it would pathetically count as exercise. But burning calories.

When I weighed in April, I had lost 19 lbs.
When I weighed again in June, I had put it all back on, short of a couple of lbs.
I had been doing the same things, only eating lots of pasta (noodles) thinking they weren't all that fatty...and a cheap way to fill your stomach. Then, I read that your body treats white pasta like sugar...Broke my heart. Although my weight has always fluctuated like that, I once lost 20 pounds and NOBODY and I mean nobody noticed (always been a big stalky dude). Now I look more like Kevin James...although my gut is not quite that big...but that's the idea. Stopping it from getting like that. Aging has not helped the belly situation.

I last weighed about a month ago, (down 5lbs from the original weight in Feb) but I feel like I've lost some more in these last few weeks. I'm hoping to be able to say I've hit 15 lbs for the year. If not, it will suck. Really crunching down on not eating late at night, etc. I am going to weigh again this Sunday. It used to be so easy to drop 10lbs or whatever, I was always active, athletic. Now I am old and boring.

FTR, I quit drinking in January, so it's been a battle to not replace alcohol with food (yes, I am an alcoholic, like beer way too much). But so far I haven't, and while I don't eat much sugar at all (never did), I still love me some salty carby foods. It's tough.

U2DMfan said:
Awesome! Keep fighting the good fight.

I am on a diet too. Started in February. I weighed and then decided not to weigh again until April (60 days). Cutting back certain fatty foods, cutting sugar almost totally out, cutting fast food almost to nil. Trying to do something active, every day, for an hour, sometimes two, even when it would pathetically count as exercise. But burning calories.

When I weighed in April, I had lost 19 lbs.
When I weighed again in June, I had put it all back on, short of a couple of lbs.
I had been doing the same things, only eating lots of pasta (noodles) thinking they weren't all that fatty...and a cheap way to fill your stomach. Then, I read that your body treats white pasta like sugar...Broke my heart.

I have weighed only once since June, (down 5lbs from the original weight in Feb) but I feel like I've lost some more in these last few months. I am going to weigh again this Sunday...if I am not further down, it will be crushing.

FTR, I quit drinking in January, so it's been a battle to not replace alcohol with food (yes, I am an alcoholic, like beer way too much). But so far I haven't, and while I don't eat much sugar at all (never did), I still love me some salty carby foods. It's tough.

First off, very glad to read you recognized you had an issue with alcohol and took steps to get help. My father's alcoholism destroyed my relationship with him, but that's a whole different fun story. I'm glad you are getting treatment for the disease and not ignoring it.

Argh, I understand your frustration. Like I said, I'd lose 15-20 lbs then get comfortable and slowly go back into my old ways. Pasta is a delicious devil. Maybe cut back to pasta once a week or once every other week? If you're eating at home, measure out the exact portions and if you're at a restaurant, ask for a to go box with the meal and pack half up right away. A cheat every once in awhile isn't going to put the weight back on overnight. Personally, I found the more I denied myself, the more I craved it until one day I fell off the wagon and stayed off. I still eat things I like such as mashed potatoes, just smaller portions.

If the scale doesn't say what you're expecting, don't let that devastate you. The scale lies sometimes. I weighed myself one week in April and according to the reading, I had only lost 10 lbs since January. A few days earlier, I was able to fit into a pair of jeans a size smaller than what I was wearing. I don't know how it is for others, but I have to lose at least 20 lbs to go down a size, so no way in hell did I only lose 10 at that point. I was disappointed, but took it with a grain of salt.

See, I have the opposite problem. Salt has never been my thing, but I love sweets. Every once in awhile I'll splurge, but most of the time I stick to fruit when I have a sugar craving. If you order something bad like a burger with everything, skip the fries and substitute it for a veggie or a salad. That's 800 less calories right there. The only thing I cannot order as a side are fries. No way I can only eat half. :lol:

Again, just my experience. I realize what works for me doesn't work for everyone. :)

A cheat every once in awhile isn't going to put the weight back on overnight. Personally, I found the more I denied myself, the more I craved it until one day I fell off the wagon and stayed off. I still eat things I like such as mashed potatoes, just smaller portions.

While I'm not on a diet, I will say I've always believed this is the best approach. Moderation not denial. And these days, when you listen to various talking heads, they seem to advocate the same approach.
Crave some chocolate? Not a problem...just have a half a bar, not a hot fudge sundae. I can't imagine how hard it is/would be to totally deny yourself foods that you've loved all your life. It is so hard to change habits like that, and mad props to those who manage to make changes, be they big or small. :up:

If the scale doesn't say what you're expecting, don't let that devastate you. The scale lies sometimes. I weighed myself one week in April and according to the reading, I had only lost 10 lbs since January. A few days earlier, I was able to fit into a pair of jeans a size smaller than what I was wearing. I don't know how it is for others, but I have to lose at least 20 lbs to go down a size, so no way in hell did I only lose 10 at that point. I was disappointed, but took it with a grain of salt.
It's remarkable how much your "weight" can fluctuate in a day.
Heh, it makes me think of a couple of my guy friends who have this obsession with weighing themselves after a meal to compare how much food they ate.
Also, my aunt was on a health kick and was exercising quite a bit (mostly long walks, etc)....and she became perturbed when her weight actually increased. But the fact was, she was simply losing fat and putting on muscle...so you have to take things like that into account too.

Anyhoo :twocents:*

*ETA
Once they eliminate the penny, does that mean my thoughts will now be worth a nickel? :hmm:

Congrats on losing weight! That is so hard to do, but it feels great when it actually happens! :applaud:

I had to go to a wedding last weekend, so I decided to not eat bread, potatoes, or pasta for the whole week before to see if anything would happen. I didn't weigh myself, but my clothes were a little baggier and I felt really great. I didn't feel really full and sleepy after a meal like I usually do and I didn't have any bloating and stomach pain, which happens to me on a regular basis.

I don't like depriving myself like that and I was getting tired of eating salad all the time. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a gluten intolerance or maybe just a problem with whole grain, so I'm going to be moderating my carb-based foods. Besides that, thyroid disease runs in my family, and I think that may be why I have trouble losing weight even though I really don't eat that much. I take kelp extract and B vitamins every day to combat thyroid problems (especially fatigue) and I think that has helped a lot. I'm not obese or anything, but I would like to be less flabby and to be able to wear all those clothes that almost fit but not quite.

One thing I did years ago was to take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar every morning. I did that in the summer of 2001 and I lost 16 pounds. It's supposed to reduce your appetite and burn fat, but I was also exercising more that summer, so that helped, too. I was really fat in 7th grade, so that summer I decided that when I went back to school, I wouldn't be the fat kid anymore.

I agree with not weighing yourself. For me I can easily get fixated on the numbers. Realistically I know when I've been eating too much-and I'm older and my metabolism just isn't what it used to be. That's not an excuse, it's just a fact. When I walk 3 miles on the treadmill or outside almost every day of the week and I'm not losing numbers on the scale it is so frustrating. But when I go by how my clothes fit then it's easier on my psyche. When the new pair of denim capris I got for the summer were way too tight on me last week, that motivated me to try to be more disciplined.

:bump:

The picture on the left I took in May. I had bought the shirt a month ago and it barely fit. It still didn't fit great in the first picture, but I knew it would only get looser, not tighter. I took the picture on the right yesterday, same place. The only difference between the two pictures is the jeans I'm wearing on the right are two sizes smaller.

Classy bar bathroom mirror pics FTW. :up:

7BD33DFB-AE60-44F7-AA81-BCE1B198E7D9-6750-000004334A93CC3A_zpsa9219632.jpg

The last 3 weeks I've been having moments where I look in the mirror and I don't recognize myself. I do a double take because I can't believe I finally look like me again. It's more than just being able to fit into old clothes again. It's about looking in the mirror and knowing I finally have control of my life back. :)

daygloeyes2, you look great! Keep it up and don't give up! :up:

Great job! I'm on my own weight loss path. I gained 83 lbs between getting married and our 3 year anniversary. A few days after our anniversary, I decided to start counting calories and have lost 32.5 lbs in 6 weeks as of this morning. And all I can be is disappointed as I haven't been working out and could have probably lost a lot more if I had been!

I'm slowly shedding the pounds. I'm down to a size 10 finally, but still have a long way to go. Serves me right that I spent weeks having only coffee in the morning and ended up noshing in the afternoon because I was so hungry. Gee, I wonder why?

But I'm back eating a full breakfast and working on time management so I could hit the gym more often.

Good for you Pearl

Not eating anything in the morning isn't good, I've tried it and it just makes me eat more at night. Eating at night is my biggest problem. Most of the time I'm not even hungry, it's just the munchies.

Way to go, tourist and Pearl! Don't be too tough on yourselves. You're making improvements and seeing the results of your efforts, and that's the most important thing.

I agree with Mrs. Springsteen. I can't skip breakfast. I always have something, even if it's just one or two pieces of fruit.

Oh I'm not! I'm super happy about this whole thing. I just know that my goals (and the incentives I've given for those goals) would be a lot closer right now if I wasn't so lazy. :D

the tourist said:
Oh I'm not! I'm super happy about this whole thing. I just know that my goals (and the incentives I've given for those goals) would be a lot closer right now if I wasn't so lazy. :D

:up: 32 lbs in 6 weeks is fantastic! It took me 4 months to lose that amount, so I'm impressed that you were able to reach that mark in less than half of that time.

those are impressive numbers

I am back up to my all time heaviest, not happy about that
I'd like to loose 20 pounds, 15 would be great

I will be doing weekly weigh ins here:

092412 = 170 pounds

:up: 32 lbs in 6 weeks is fantastic! It took me 4 months to lose that amount, so I'm impressed that you were able to reach that mark in less than half of that time.

All I'm doing is counting calories. I figured out how many calories I burn sedentary. Then I figured out what my calorie intake should be for a decent weight loss pace. I've been having 1000-1600 per day. I've figured out some amazing less than 500 calorie meals, like this:

538856_10152081548620538_516196458_n.jpg

6 servings and just under 500 calories per serving.

Also, no diet pop. Diet pop is worse for you than regular pop. Some stuff I've read says that the body can only process one of artificial sweeteners or fat and it will always process the artificial sweeteners and store the fat. So I'm actually having one regular sugar pop a day. But yeah, things like baby carrots, apples, pineapple, raisins, 100% fruit fruit snacks, peas, corn, bell peppers, etc. have been my saving grace.

:drool: That looks awesome. Calorie counting has helped me maintain my weight loss while I recover from a broken leg. I knew was barely going to be walking at all for the first month or so post-op, let alone running around on my feet waiting tables 6 days a week. I didn't need the extra energy, so I cut out 300-400 calories a day. Between July and early August, I'd force myself to do a few laps around my bedroom and hallway either on my crutches or my walker just to burn a few calories and to keep everything circulating. After I started physical therapy, it became much less of an effort to move around.

I agree on the soda. I only have it every once in awhile as a treat now. And I started keeping fruit in the house to satisfy my sweet tooth. It's helped a lot!

Deep, best of luck. :up: Look forward to reading about your progress!

I went back to Weight Watchers after a two month absence this morning....

I've lost nearly 6 pounds since my last visit!

I started off at 205 pounds last year, and now I'm down to 192 pounds! I felt like crying when I saw the numbers on the screen for my weigh-in.

I knew I had lost weight because I'm now wearing size 10 pants and I bought a new belt the other day, going from XL to L! I know I still have a long way to go. I'm supposed to get down to about 165 pounds according to my body frame. But holy crap, I'm closing than ever with less than 30 pounds to go!

I think this is mainly because I'm off medication which slowed down my metabolism a great deal. I think my body has finally adjusted to not being on the meds and now I can lose weight faster. Of course, I watch what I eat and I am hitting the gym more often which helps a lot.

OK, enough about me! I am SO happy and I'm off to do the happy dance!

:applaud: Way to go, everyone!

I went back to work last week. The pants I bought for my uniform are two sizes smaller than the ones I bought in January when I started. :)

Back
Top Bottom