Weight loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Started weight watchers this week in preparation for my wedding in August. There are 6 of us doing it together (3 guys, 3 girls), with weekly weigh ins. Hopefully should be good!

Definitely feeling hungry every day but that's to be expected after all the holiday food. It's why we started in January - I knew that there would be almost no point having people try to comply at Christmas.

Thanks, anitram! I hope yours goes well too!

That's great!

What's your plan once you reach your target weight? Maintain at x cals per day?

Exactly. Once I get to where I want to be, I'll just stick with the estimated calories burned for my age, height, and weight when sedentary. And if I exercise, that's a bonus. I plan to keep this up forever and have no idea why I didn't think of it sooner since I'm very much a numbers person.

I tend to go in these 4-5 year cycles of lose a ton of weight, slowly gaining it back, rinse, repeat. Five years ago I lost over 25lbs in about 5 months. It's time for another weight loss cycle so Phil and I are having a contest :) We have until May and whoever loses the highest percentage of their original weight wins an iPad (or Nexus or Surface, haven't decided yet). We compared our goal weights and though they are different, because of our size difference (Phil is 8 inches taller than me) the percentages were only .5% off. I have to lose almost 25lbs. I do best when I'm working for prizes, lol, so I have some other stuff for myself along the way. Like when I get to 15lbs off I'll find a new hair stylist (I've been trimming and layering my own hair for a few years but I want it colored). Phil does a lot of different activities but I do best just counting calories and doing 45-60 mins of cardio 5-6 times a week. Right now it will be 5 times a week since I have two dog training commitments each week and won't have time to work out those days (but one of those is flyball which basically involves me running sprints). After a few weeks and my body is used to working out again I'll add in some conditioning/strength. Three days in and I feel skinnier already. Oh and I've overslept two days in a row!

OK. The holidays are over, and so are the excuses.

Last January, I started watching my weight again, and I went from 190 pounds to 161 in 3 months.

This is significant, because, mathematically, if I reach 158 pounds, I finally move out of "Obese" and just in to overweight. This is important to me, though it probably shouldn't be.

Regardless, since last April, I'm back at 171, which, while I'm not happy about it, it's better than what I did the last time I lost twenty pounds (which was to gain 30).

So, the goals:

158 LBs - I'll buy myself something undetermined at this point
136 LBs (the outside range of a healthy BMI for my height) - I'll buy myself an electronic drum set
119 LBs (the outside range of a healthy weight for my build) - I'll buy myself the thing I've always wanted: A synthesizer.

So, those are the goals. Once I Get to 119 (like that will ever happen), I may try to get down to 110 and then stay there, but let's see if I can even get to 158 :lol:

Good luck all!

I am similar to Lies - I will drop about 30 lbs, get super toned by weight training too and then slowly put it back on over 3-4 years.

I weighed myself just before the end of 2012, after all the holiday gorging, which I am treating as my week zero. I started WW at the beginning of January. Thus far:

Week 0 - 162.2 lbs
Week 1 - 160.0 lbs

Week 2 weigh in is on Saturday morning!

Ugh I seriously gained almost 10 lbs from summer until now alone! We had a fabulous holiday season, got to meet up with many friends from high school and college and lots of relatives I only see every several years. We went out almost every day, sometimes twice a day. I found myself craving bland salads.

Week 0 for me is this week and I weighed in at 150.4 on Sunday. My goal weight for our contest is 127 (we have until May). My real goal weight is more like 124 but it's easier to reach and maintain that over the summer when there's actual daylight and I'm active all evening and working my dogs all weekend (plus I'll hopefully be getting a puppy in July). Anything below that and I start to look scrawny which I don't like. I'm not a marathon runner and no one in my family is super lanky. To put pressure on myself I don't allow myself to buy any new clothes or get my hair done until I've made significant progress.

I'd like to lose about 25 lbs. The thinnest I've been was when I was about 19/20 but I was doing physical labour in the summers and working out like crazy. That was 125-127 lbs and I'll never be at that weight again, due to metabolism and due to me choosing to do weight training which actually makes for a much nicer, more toned body, but it does add mass. So I'd be happy at about 135.

I'm 5'8 so a lot of people look at me and say that I can't possibly lose 25 lbs and not be skeletal, but it's really not true. I know the weight at which I feel the best and for me it's not even so much that I hate where I am now but I don't like where it's going so time to get into action!

It gets annoying when people keep saying I'm crazy. Why can't people understand that I have *no* emotional attachment to my weight? I was 118lb in high school and was not underweight but at that time was training gymnastics 3 hours a day, so that's completely unrealistic for me at this point. For me to say "I'm 25lb overweight" is not some way to put myself down or plea for someone to tell me I'm fine, it's a statement of fact, lol. I had my bloodwork done the last time I got into shape an every single one of my numbers fell in the optimal ranges and I have never been underweight or in danger of it.

The thinnest I ever got was 6 1/2 years ago. Back then, I wore size 6 and some size 4 pants and skirts. The heaviest I got was size 16.

Nowadays, I'm mostly size 10 and can wear some size 8s. I still have the pants and skirts I had during my slimmer days and I am aiming to wear them again by this summer the earliest - year's end the latest!

I was never stick thin. I always had love handles and big thighs, but those flaws got seriously worse when I gained weight. I'd love to get rid of my flat tire and finally have a waist. Maybe this year I can!

When I started Weight Watchers, I was 207.5. I am now 188. Wow, I just realized lost nearly 20 pounds! Holy crap! But according to my body frame, I need to weigh about 165, so I need to keep going.

But damn, I'm getting there! :hyper:

I've gone from a size 40 waist being tight to a size 36 being relatively loose. Gone from large t-shirts being skin tight to medium t-shirts being loose. I'm 6'2" and 201 lbs. I was 271 lbs on August 12th. Gone from a BMI of 34.8 to 25.8 in 5 months. Here's to the next 30-40 lbs! Reached 3 incentives on January 1st: Guitar pedal on April 1st if I maintain, and Disneyland and Hawaii both sometime in the next 15 months.

Week 0 - 162.2 lbs
Week 1 - 160.0 lbs
Week 2 - 156.8 lbs

Woohoo! I know these two weeks were basically water weight and now the real fat burning starts, but still very happy about my progress!

I'm doing OK with changing my diet but working out has been hard. I have headaches almost every day. I thought getting in better shape might help, but it's kind of a vicious cycle. I'm not really in the mood to work my ass off when I'm already dizzy and nauseous. I'm thinking of calling my Dr. to get antibiotics because I suspect I've had a sinus infection since before Christmas. I'm not getting the migraines I'm used to, which I suppose is good, except this headache only temporarily responds to my migraine cocktail.

I'm sure you've probably already thought of this, but could it be from dehydration? I used to get massive headaches from dehydration.

No, because I have pain in the roots of my teeth that comes and goes and have been stuffy/runny nose as well, I just hate taking the antibiotics and thought I'd try to ride it out. That was easy enough over the holidays but now working all day again and then wanting to do cardio for an hour at a time, it's not happening. I want a pillow over my head by 3pm. However I do tend to associate getting auras with migraines when I'm dehydrated (but auras for me are painless, more of a harbinger).

I still need to lose ten pounds and get fit. People say I don't need to lose weight because I'm small or what-have-you but the truth is that my resting heart rate has gone up by almost 30BPM since I gained weight and I've been feeling ill nonstop. My body fat percentage is also still too high. It annoys me when people try to butt in to that when I have a doctor already approving my decision.

Though once I had a doctor who insisted that I was underweight and too thin even though I wasn't and I was perfectly healthy. He was annoying. I was 5'5 and 118lbs. Now I'm more like 132. I was 128 over the summer but, alas, I am a sucker for fall food.

Working out is the hardest for me. I'm at the barn all day and I HATE running. Hate it. Hate the elliptical too. I basically hate anything that's overly repetitive and boing, haha. That's been my biggest downfall because I can lift weights and ride horses and do all this great stuff to get fit but the second I get to cardio I fall flat, and that's where my health needs me the most right now. :(

Week 0 - 162.2
Week 1 - 160.0
Week 2 - 156.8
Week 3 - 155.4

Back
Top Bottom