Trying to kick cigarettes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desert Dog

War Child
Well the now month long battle continues - I'm back on the nicotine gum today and I am gonna kick those nasty fucking things

anyone got any good advice on stopping smoking?

and please no snide ass replies please

Good luck... hope it works. I've not managed it yet. Will see if I can find any useful online info for you, if you like?

drink lots of water and keep yourself busy. everyone i know who quit says keeping their fingers otherwise occupied was the key to success.

best of luck. you can do it!

:up:

My best advice has to do with how you view the process of quitting. For a long time when I'd try to quit I'd go a few days or even a week, and then I'd break down and have one at which point I would think "I have failed" and the psychological impact would spiral me into full on smoking within a day or so. It was only when I started looking at quiting as a "moment by moment" sort of thing that I was able to stop. Every moment that I didn't have one was a small victory in and of itself, and so If I had a cig it wasn't a sort of "ending my streak" but simply one moment when I succumbed to a human failing, and as such I would think "So what, I had one cigarette in th past three days, I'm still doing real good." It kept those moments when I broke down from dominating the process.

At any given moment the battle is not "To Quit Smoking Forever!" the battle is to simply not have a cigarette right now.

Hope it helps, Good luck

You're talking to the Coldest Turkey yet....3-pack a day......pffft...

Nothing to it...stopped nearly 15-years ago....... cold-fucking-turkey and never looked back..................you can do it! :applaud:

MichaelM said:

At any given moment the battle is not "To Quit Smoking Forever!" the battle is to simply not have a cigarette right now.

Hope it helps, Good luck

I like that advice...
If you know the reasons you have ciggies it helps too..
I would use them as breaks, so I'd try to have other 'break' activities instead. EVery time you feel like you'd have a ciggie and instead do something else, you realize you didn't really *need* that smoke as much as you thought you did, and that's empowering.

I swear I also got a lot of help from drinking sparkling water...the bubbles provided that throat stimulation I'd get from smoking (more throat irritation really). I still have to have bubbly water around or I get nervous. But, if I'm going to be addicted to something that's surely better than ciggies!
It would also help even if I just quit for a little while to start...then you get that life goes on without cigarettes pretty well.
Aromatherapy can be helpful too I think...relaxing smells, if you generally smoke to relax, or focusing smells if you generally smoke while trying to solve a problem, or invigorating smells if you need smokes to wake yourself up.

good luck!

48 hours smokefree and counting - and I just just ran out of nicotine gum but I am drinking lots of water

thanks to all for your support and advice

Here's some incentive other than the obvious health reasons...I don't even know what a pack costs nowadays but I estimated....

$4.75 a pack X 365 days = $1,733.75.

Hoping there's some willpower in that....good luck!

(I never looked back..I can sit in a room full of smokers and not want for myself!)

Mr. BAW said:
You're talking to the Coldest Turkey yet....3-pack a day......pffft...

Nothing to it...stopped nearly 15-years ago....... cold-fucking-turkey and never looked back..................you can do it! :applaud:

Homer Simpson trying to stop smoking marijuana: Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds!

haha....good luck though!:up:

First of all, congratulations on deciding to quit. :up:

Secondly, everyone I know who has successfully quit has gone cold turkey, which must suck (I've never smoked myself, so I don't know), so that must be the best way to do it. Ewen is celebrating 7 weeks without a cigarette today and he managed it cold turkey--I think he ate a lot of chocolate in the meantime :wink:, but it can be done.

I wish you the very best of luck! Think what a good investment this is in yourself.

I quit 9 years ago. It was hard and I fell off the wagon a couple times. I just kept thinking about the positive things not smoking would bring into my life.
For examlpe: I smell better, have more money, and my workout is easier because I can breathe.
Also drinking orangejuice and eating jellybeans helps.
Keep it up!! You can do it.:up:

You could go see U2 a lot more with all the extra money!

I think going for quick runs would help you. When I was quitting I would go for like a mile run just to get my heart really pounding. This seemed to really help reduce the cravings. Even pushups would help when I was having a craving. Maybe sounds dumb but it helped me.

2 things distinguished all my failed attempts at quitting and my one successful attempt.

1. I was so disgusted by my dependence on it and wanted to quit for ME. Not for girlfriends, family, work or to impress others.

2. Whenever I felt stressed or tempted to go and seek out a fix, I looked up and prayed to God for help.

13 years of tobacco swept away. It'll be 3 years on Thanksgiving.

Oh and I used the Patch while I was going through it. I had used it unsuccessfully in the past, but that's because the patch is only designed to take away the physical craving, it can't solve the mental one which was solved by 1 and 2 listed above.

Good luck :up:

Quit and maybe Cigs won't kill you, but something will. You're gonna die. Can't escape it. Is the time you give up smoking worth living a little longer just to die from something else?

theblazer said:
Quit and maybe Cigs won't kill you, but something will. You're gonna die. Can't escape it. Is the time you give up smoking worth living a little longer just to die from something else?
After witnessing the misery my grandfather went through on his deathbed after a lifetime of smoking cancer sticks, on 14 different medications, dozens of illnesses, I think there are less painless ways to pass. The second half of your life is much happier tobacco free.

I quit in 1994 and found the biggest thing frustrating me was the lack of something to fiddle with, the hand-to-mouth activity. Mint flavored toothpicks help me a lot. It's 2005 now and I still nicfit sometimes but the dumb toothpicks help me a lot. Good luck man, believe in yourself....

Back
Top Bottom