tough week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
This past week my brother was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Things are just beginning to slowly settle down. It's been hectic trying to stay on top of monitoring his blood sugar levels, analyzing them, phoning in the information, etc. He's still getting blurred vision from time to time as a result, and thus has yet to return to playing baseball.

My brother was not exactly the happiest person around before this, so it's a big blow for him. He always had self pity before, and I'm a little worried now that he actually has a legitimate thing to pity over. Because the cause of type 1 diabetes is uncertain, he claims that he could've done something to cause it. Which is not a great attitude when you need some mental strength to fight off the tough situation he's in already.

I'm hoping things settle into routine, which is what it sounds like it will lead to. I am glad that we caught it early and he had no other complications from it.

Im sorry about your brother :hug: The positive side is that it was caught early! Hopefully as time passes by your brother's determination will stregthen and he will get back to the things that he loves. Being sick sucks but having the will to fight it will take you a long way!

I am going through this with a good friend right now. Stay strong for your brother and be patient. It will get easier to deal with in time. You are lucky to have caught it early. :hug:

4.gif

My brother has type 1 diabetes too, and he's had it for a long time now. He's had a few issues and scary situations, but generally he has managed very well. That type is generally hereditary/genetic, as far as I know. It runs in my family. He didn't cause it, but he can take control over it with proper diet and insulin/medication. It takes work and dedication and it certainly is tough sometimes but it can be done. It causes emotional issues too, so the best thing you can do for him is let him know you support him and that you want him to take the best possible care of himself. Help him with good eating and with properly monitoring himself, but try to have a balance with that so that he doesn't feel overly monitored and hovered over and as if all he is is a diabetic, if you know what I mean. It's hard to find that balance, but with time it gets easier. It will settle into more of a routine with time.

The good news is that there are constant advances in diabetes care and research. There are great books and other resources out there too, one is the American Diabetes Association. Also the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). Also the Joslin Diabetes Center. They all have web sites.

I hope for the best for your brother

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. The main thing that you can do for him is just be there and listen. He's going to have good days and bad days, and if he needs to complain, just let him. I've had a chronic disease for a little over a year now, since I was 16, and the best thing that people can do for me is to just hear me out. It might sound like such a simple gesture, but it truly does mean the world to me, and I'm sure it will to your brother as well.

Sorry to hear, buddy.

I know people with it, and with some diligence and hard work, they live normal lives. So long as he watches what he eats, he'l be fine. And you and your family can give him some help by really looking into dietary options to make him at meals and eating them as well. Good luck!

Sorry to hear about your brother. Just be there for him :hug:

My niece was diagnosed with diabetes, but I don't recall which type she has. She was in the 4th grade at the time (she's gonna be 17 this summer). At first it was quite difficult to deal with for her & her family. Monitoring and regulating were a bit of trial & error at first, and giving the shots was not easy (for her mom). With age and advances in medicine, she no longer needs shots but has something hooked to her that she can control what she needs, and she's been really doing well for a long time. I believe she's at Disneyland as we speak. :wink:

:hug:

It makes sense that your brother is upset now, but hopefully he'll be able to settle into a routine, like you said. I'd say the best thing you can do is just be there for him and encourage him to take care of himself. It's good that he plays baseball, but during the off-season maybe you can offer to exercise with him. If he's making changes to his diet, try to change yours when you eat with him. There are so many more sugar-free products than there used to be, so he can still have treats once in awhile.

Diabetes runs in both sides of my family, so I've seen quite a few family members have to deal with it. Most have been able to manage it through diet and exercise, or with only one medication. Then there's my aunt. My mom's sister is very overweight and has been diabetic for as long as I can remember. She's one of those people who always needs to be the center of attention. Instead of being more careful about what she eats and trying to drink more water and less soda (she drinks diet, but that's all she drinks, 24 hours a day :crack: ), she let her diabetes get to the point that she has to give herself insulin shots. She never had to let it get that bad, but it seems like she did just so she can have something else to complain about
:huh:

Thanks for the replies, guys.

It doesn't run in my family at all, so it was a bit unexpected.

He plays baseball and basketball, so he's constantly exercising for those, but his diet's never been great. He's adjusted pretty well so far to having balanced meals, and if he keeps it up, he'll honestly be much healthier with the diabetes than he was without!

So far nothing out of the ordinary has happened, but with Type 1 it's very, very unbalanced, so the first couple of incidents will be tough to deal with. Again, it's all about us all getting used to fixing his problems and trying our best to avoid them.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 two years ago when I was 19. It can be scary and nervewracking at first, but within a couple months everything just becomes routine. You control it. It doesn't control you. If your brother faces it with the right mentality he can accomplish and do anything he wants to, including sports. It's all a learning process and will take time fine tuning everything but it shouldn't stop him from living. If there's one good thing about having Diabetes, it's that we live in a time where technological and medical advancements get better and better everyday, so there's a variety of insulin treatment options available.

As for the blurry vision, I experienced it too when I was first diagnosed. Definitely annoying when you're trying to fill a syringe or rattle off blood sugars to your doctor over the phone and can't see them lol, but it should go away soon once his blood sugars start leveling out. :)

How old's your brother by the way?

I hope he gets to feeling better soon :hug:

Last edited:
Aw, tough age. But at least he's old enough to where he'll be able to manage it on his own for the most part. The anxiety and newness of it all will eventually ease up a bit and he'll start feeling more comfortable.

If he ever feels isolated, the American Diabetes Association has a pretty cool website with message boards, one specifically for teenagers and young adults where he can talk to people his own age about it and relate to. Might be nice. There's generally some other athletes around there too that might be encouraging. ADA Link

He probably already knows this but if not, there are quite a few Pro athletes out there with T1. Adam Morrison who plays basketball for the Charlotte Bobcats, probably the most well known at the moment. Also, Olympic swimmer Gary Hall Jr. Baseball player Dan Reichert. Oh yeah, the number one cross-country skier in the country Kris Freeman. There's a great interview here with him about how he handles it during competitions etc. So, it is very possible for your bro to continue kicking everyone's butt in sports :wink:

AngelofHarlem01 said:
Aw, tough age. But at least he's old enough to where he'll be able to manage it on his own for the most part. The anxiety and newness of it all will eventually ease up a bit and he'll start feeling more comfortable.

If he ever feels isolated, the American Diabetes Association has a pretty cool website with message boards, one specifically for teenagers and young adults where he can talk to people his own age about it and relate to. Might be nice. There's generally some other athletes around there too that might be encouraging. ADA Link

He probably already knows this but if not, there are quite a few Pro athletes out there with T1. Adam Morrison who plays basketball for the Charlotte Bobcats, probably the most well known at the moment. Also, Olympic swimmer Gary Hall Jr. Baseball player Dan Reichert. Oh yeah, the number one cross-country skier in the country Kris Freeman. There's a great interview here with him about how he handles it during competitions etc. So, it is very possible for your bro to continue kicking everyone's butt in sports :wink:

He bought an Adam Morrison jersey within a week of the diagnosis. :lol:

Sorry to hear about your brother. My family has a history of Diabetes.

I hope all turns out well.

Back
Top Bottom