Too Paranoid To Date

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
Yesterday was my second actual date with this really amazing guy. He invited me over to his apartment for the first time. When I got there, I was so painfully skittish. I was very paranoid and nervous that he was going to do something bad to me...like rape me or kill me. I just could not get over it. The first four hours of the date were basically ruined because basically every time he'd put his arm around me, I'd start shaking like a leaf. He knew I was tense, and he would whisper compliments and sweet things to try to get me to relax, but they just made me even more uptight because I thought he was just saying those things to lull me into a false sense of security so he could strike when I least expected it. He put his hands on me from behind, and I thought he was gonna grab me and shove me in a closet or something, but all he was doing was giving me a back massage. He'd tell me I was beautiful and sweet and deserved to be happy and have a good time, and with each thing said, I would panic even more. I ended up crying in front of him. We had a big talk about it, and I could tell he was frustrated...as was I. I stayed around for another few hours, and that time seemed to go really well. He cooked dinner, we danced, and we watched a movie. It doesn't seem like he wants to see me again though. Basically, I completely blew it with a great guy because I'm too paranoid to believe that a guy can be nice to me and still have good intentions. I'm so used to guys just being jerks, and I keep having flashbacks to that guy trying to abduct me earlier this year. I just can't relax.

At this rate, I'm gonna be alone forever. I feel like a complete freak.

Last edited:
:hug:

Well, if he doesn't call you again, he's not worth it. A guy should be understanding that a girl can feel uncomfortable in that kind of situation. Everyone deserves a second chance as the little dog puppet says.

This was the second date--you made it past the first. I say don't give up hope. :) Maybe give him a call and tell him what you told us. Any guy worth the oxygen he breathes will understand where you're coming from.

not to sound overly paranoid myself but a guy giving you a massage and saying the things he did on the second date sounds rather creepy to me.

ms. bonochick,
the right fellow well come along in time. dont despair.

thane

LoveTown said:
not to sound overly paranoid myself but a guy giving you a massage and saying the things he did on the second date sounds rather creepy to me.

I agree. All on the second date? And at his place? Not to sound pessimistic, but those are all red flags in my book.

Maybe it was just too soon for such a private setting. Nothing wrong with taking it slow and sticking to public places at first.

As it were, it sounds like this guy is very patient and understanding. I think he understands the anxiety you were experiencing. Actually I think anyone would. What you went through was very tramatic. If you are interested, and would like to give back massager a try, give him a call. He may not call you first because he might think that you aren't interested in him. Call him and sort everything out. Hopefully he'll be a man about it and stay at your side :)

I think that this is my first post in ZC but I had a friend who was almost raped (she fought back and was able to get away -Thank God) just because it didn't happen did not mean that she wasn't emotionally wounded. When she related this sotry to some close friends basically they said - "how horrible, but nothing happened so you are okay" kind of essentially nothing bad really happened so get on with your life. She took a two year break from dating to give herself some time to really find herself and is now engaged to a great guy who understands and loves her - he took the time to help her lower her defenses and see that he was not going to hurt her.

the point of relating this story is this - give yourself some time to heal - the only way that you are going to be able to find a guy who is worthy of you is to feel worthy of yourself (which is no small feat)

so to sum up - you are not a freak, you will find someone who is completely worthy of you, and if this guy is really an amzing guy- he will call you back.

I'd suggest contacting a therapist. If you were truly shaking in your seat merely due to him whispering in your ear or rubbing your back, you have a problem and need to seek help from a professional. coming close to being ubducted sounds detrimental to your psyche and most likely won't get better until you get some advice or medication from a professional or healing substance.

I hope you get better, but I understand being paranoid. I'm the same way when it comes to relationships, but I usually don't even make it to a date. I end things at the first sign of a connection. You're not alone,

Back
Top Bottom