to shy to sing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarlet Lady

The Fly
im not a shy person but i am when it comes to singing in front of just about anybody.
i really want to be in the music world(art not celebrity), ive wrote lyrics sinse i was 14 im 22 now.still i havnt done anything with them.
lyric writing is my life and i would love to be able to front them aspart of a band..but there is this huge barrior.i couldnt just be a songwriter, i know i wouldnt be furfilled enough..i want to be out there like the b man interacting and capturing people with poetry.
any advice,please
:(

hola scarletlady
I suffered from a similar problem for many years, I was a closet singer until I found myself in the company of a few musicians. Being part of a subculture where passionate singing is the norm helps considerably. A friend of mine in this group just sort of threw me into a situation one evening - et voila, I was cured for life.

From what I read, you are describing passionate singing, not ordinary singing/humming - there are certain cultures that seem predisposed to such things. Pilipinos all seem to love singing, so do the Chinese and Goans. The Asians are very heavy on "KTV" or karaoke, which is a very good place for shy folk like us to make a start. Mostly though, if you've got an intimate friend in your life, start by singing in their ear. Sing with all your heart, blow the person away. When you see that look in their eyes, it'll be all you require.

Last edited:
I've written "lyrics" since I was about 14 too. But to be honest with stuff from that age, I just can't tell if it's touching lyrics or bad high school/adolescent poetry. :shrug:

alcohol. :wink: lol, no seriously, id love to sing, (i cant but id still love to, lol) and i couldnt give a speech in front of my class never mind sing. :|

i think in theory itd be easier singing to a bunch of people you dont know, like its easier to take to people you dont know about stuff. :hmm:

try just recording your singing, or if you get the courage, busk. :)

could you sing to a friend?

You might try singing karaoke in a small local bar and/or ask your doctor about meds to reduce anxiety for certain occasions - I think it's beta blockers people will take before they have to give speeches or go on stage?

bonosloveslave said:
You might try singing karaoke in a small local bar and/or ask your doctor about meds to reduce anxiety for certain occasions - I think it's beta blockers people will take before they have to give speeches or go on stage?

:hmm:

i think an artist needs stage anxiety
it is a special energy
i like it, even if i can be very nervous.. but it is a good energy, and the negative side is blown away as soon as you´re onstage, or after the first, second song when you´re beginning to relax because you´re at it.

i would not recommend pills. if you don´t want to be onstage, just don´t do it, don´t try to fake something.

Scarlet Lady said:
im not a shy person but i am when it comes to singing in front of just about anybody.
i really want to be in the music world(art not celebrity), ive wrote lyrics sinse i was 14 im 22 now.still i havnt done anything with them.
lyric writing is my life and i would love to be able to front them aspart of a band..but there is this huge barrior.i couldnt just be a songwriter, i know i wouldnt be furfilled enough..i want to be out there like the b man interacting and capturing people with poetry.
any advice,please
:(

The best advice I can give you is to do, do, do something with the lyrics you have written. When you say lyric writing is your life, why can´t you be "just" a songwriter?

Ok, some people are artists and songwriters, but you need to remember that only the very best, outgoing performers manage to have a career.

You are 22, so you´re still young enough for a (female singer) career, but you of all people should know its hard and there are 17-yr-olds who will blow you away at auditions.

Focus on the things you´re good at. You can´t do everything.

Maybe my advice will not be very encouraging, but having worked in the periphery of this shallow industry.. I would really recommend that you invest your energy in things you´re already good at.

So if you are a good songwriter, why not offer your songs to artists and publishers? I know, songwriters have to pitch and promote their songs too.. if your song is not going to generate more income for the artist than putting one of his own songs on his album, why should he decide for yours?

If you have concentrated on your songwriting skills for the past 8 years, you should definitely try to work with that - not to waste your time trying to be as "capturing" as Bono. Also keep in mind that he has 20+ years of experience. He does know how to entertain a crowd. Compare this to a small, new band with an unknown singer.

Also, if this is just about stage fright, why don´t you start with studio jobs. Call the studios and media and ask them if they need a singer.

There are literally tens of thousands of musicians who are not in the spotlight.

Either you just overcome your fear and hop on stage (and believe me, you get comfortable with that) or it is really about time to define your preferences.

I have a hard time writting lyrics, but I've come to find I enjoy singing a lot. Hopefully if it is really something you want to do, you will build up what it takes to overcome a small fear. This is one of those things, though, where the benefits far outweigh the costs, andif you set your mind to it you can overcome.

I also assume that this is one thing that can definitely get better overtime

I was in the same shoes at one time in my life. I waited far too long, to actually sing. I knew I had it in me, but I was scared. One of the biggest regrets in my life was waiting so long.

Just do it. Put your heart on the line, that's the only way you'll ever know. Put an ad out for a band, or answer one, whatever...

I used to be just like you, and now I'm playing at least once a week and honestly couldn't live without it.

im looking forward to the stage..im a part time model who is 5.5 ill never get a catwalk so i really truely im looking forward to a stage that will allow me on it.
i spoke to a bass player i know last night and last year she really wanted me to be her singer just from my lyrics,personality,speaking voice and looks..i said no because well i couldnt bercause of college.LIE.last night i told her the truth and she said just think of what will happen when you get over it..think of the rewards of being on the stage.
i recorded my voice this morning and its sweet, alittle weak but im going to do this,im going to work on it.
thanx for all the advice.

Scarlet Lady said:
im looking forward to the stage..im a part time model who is 5.5 ill never get a catwalk so i really truely im looking forward to a stage that will allow me on it.

i recorded my voice this morning and its sweet, alittle weak but im going to do this,im going to work on it.
thanx for all the advice.

that sounds very good! just do it :up:

any chance to listen to your songs? let me know when you got an mp3 ready!

I don't know the modeling world, but being 5'5'' (or less) in my opinion doesn't make anyone less inclined to have good modeling qualities. But like I said, I'm not in the business :shrug:

Anyhow...

working things out is always good

:up:

I'm not shy to sing, but rather perform in front of others.

I play guitar and write poetry but when my friends ask me to play or read to them, I get really nervous and can never perform well enough.
My hands get clammy and it makes me screw up on guitar, etc.

But what I've been doing to help me is record myself playing or reading my poetry and try to improve from there.
Or I just perform/read in front of a really close friend who I'm open to criticism and tips from.

But it sounds like you're already on your road to succession :up:
Good luck :)

I hate performing by myself but in a band or even a duet type of thing i'm fine. I hate walking on stage though you feel so defenceless its the worst feeling in the world after a couple of songs though its the most fun i've ever had

You know what? All you have to do is believe in yourself.

You don’t have to be a great musician.

You don’t have to have a wondrous way with words.

You don’t need to be surrounded by sycophants.

You just need to believe in your own ability.

And never ever become as bitter as I am even if you believe as I do that your bitterness is justified.

Get out there and take a chance, get out there and take all of the opportunities that head your way.

Just do it.

maybe it's different, because i'm in a band, but the first few times i had to sing it was really hard. but i was the lead singer, and i had to sing, so i was forced to, and eventually i got used to the sound of my own voice. now i sing whenever i can (in the car, alone at home, in the shower :shifty: ) and it's so much easier to sing in front of other people.

Back
Top Bottom