Ticks, Twitches and other bad habits.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a weird one: If I turn one way, say to get something behind me, I need to re-turn back the opposite way. So if i go clockwise, I need to turn back counter clockwise. It bothers me if I make a circle.

When I public speak, I forget everything I had planned and just end up winging it, and it usually goes real bad. Like "my boss looks mortified" bad.

Another thing I noticed recently that I do a LOT is tapping my right thumb whenever I'm at the computer, and am holding the mouse.

It's usually to the beat of whatever song I'm listening to, or whatever is stuck in my head. But I am constantly tapping my thumb.

UberBeaver said:
Here's a weird one: If I turn one way, say to get something behind me, I need to re-turn back the opposite way. So if i go clockwise, I need to turn back counter clockwise. It bothers me if I make a circle.

I do this too. It's like I have to 'unwind' myself or I get a really uneasy feeling. I can do a full circle but I have to go back the other way.:confused:
When I'm sitting in the car or at the computer I'll push my knees together so that my back cracks. This can be distracting to others who just see me kinda squirm and then hear a rumbly noise!!
I crack my knuckles and constantly tuck my hair behind my ears. I have to put pins in my hair otherwise I do it all day.
When deep in thought I'll rub my chin as if I have a beard. I'm a girl so hopefully no chance of that ever happening.

cinnaminson said:

I do this too. It's like I have to 'unwind' myself or I get a really uneasy feeling. I can do a full circle but I have to go back the other way.:confused:

Really? Wow, I thought I was the only weirdo. :hi5: But yes, that feeling like you need to rewind, exactly. WTF is that about?

I think stuff from past lives gets stuck in our DNA, and causes us to have these weird notions and inklings, like your beard rubbing thing. I dunno. Could be, right?

And Happy Birthday!

I pick/peel my fingernails. I've never understood biting nails - when I've tried it, it feels like such a foreign concept, I can't even see how that works.

I also click my back teeth together a lot, especially if I'm listening to music. I have to keep a beat. :wink: But I also do it to some invisible rhythm in my head when there's no music playing. It makes my jaw hurt sometimes.

I understand the rewinding thing too. depends on whether I'm going through a "bad" (haha) phase with it, but sometimes anything that happens to one side of my body I have to do to the other side to like restore balance or something. like, if I stubbed my right toe I'd feel the compulsion to stub my left toe. but then if I stubbed my left toe harder than the right I'd have to do the right a little more to even it out.

yeah that's not a bad habit
that's just crrrrazy
it's a good thing I don't tell anyone in my real life that I actually care about the extent of my craziness :wink:

I also do the knee bouncing
and if I'm feeling nervous uncomfortable anxious or sad I will rub my hands a lot and push really hard on one palm with my thumb from my other hand.

:coocoo:

And Happy Birthday! [/B][/QUOTE]

Thankyou, I feel very special now. I tidied up my house for the parade of wellwishers and ....... no-one. Oh well, I did go to my Mums for tea and we had party food. yahooo. My husband was very classy and said,"now you're in your 30's it's your sexual prime". He then stood and waited for it to kick in, I was tempted to kick him in . . . . .

I kept myself busy spinning and beard rubbing.

UberBeaver said:
I'm also a tad superstitious. Not sure is that's a bad habit, but I avoid certain numbers.

Also if I'm watching a sporting event, and the team I like is doing good, I won't move or change the channel so long as they continue to do so. It's a burden controlling the universe in such a manner, but we all have our lots in life.

FYI: This strategy has only worked once. In 2004. I'm a Red Sox fan.

You and I are kindred spirits. I feel for Mrs beaver. I reckon I must be a pain to live with. I twirl my hair, write lists, doodle on paper, rub/stick my finger into a dent I have on my hairline in the middle of my forehead (which is unnoticeable but one I discovered a few years ago and have not left alone since)...

I am fully convinced that I am not supposed to live in houses which are addressed at an uneven number, such as 47, the one we are in now. I am seeking an even numbered address for our next place. I even picked apart a house we looked at to buy based on it being number 73. I also don't like long streets. I think there is more advantage in shorter streets. 20 or so houses at most. Cul-de-sacs :drool: I don't actually like uneven numbers anyway; evens are better. Neater. And it's always tails when flipping a coin. I cannot say heads. It's not right.

... Ok, so maybe we aren't alike. I'm just a little mental.
:(

Let's see, I pick my fingernails all the time and crack my knuckles constantly, I have a tendency to clench my jaw too much (to the point that my jaw muscles get sore), if I'm bored or restless I'll start tapping out a rhythm on the desk/my legs/whatever is close with my fingers, and if I'm reaaally bored or restless I'll start playing an imaginary piano. :lol:

Diemen said:
Let's see, I pick my fingernails all the time

Admit it ... this habit started while you were a young 'un taking piano lessons, with the teacher threatening to clip your fingernails at every lesson because they were too long! :wink:

i pull my hair. although i don't just like yank it out, i dunno, it's hard to describe. but it annoys even me and yet i can't stop doing it. plus sometimes i'll check my hair for split ends and then rip them off if they are.

also, i tap my foot.

Angela Harlem said:

You and I are kindred spirits. I feel for Mrs beaver. I reckon I must be a pain to live with. I twirl my hair, write lists, doodle on paper, rub/stick my finger into a dent I have on my hairline in the middle of my forehead (which is unnoticeable but one I discovered a few years ago and have not left alone since)...

I am fully convinced that I am not supposed to live in houses which are addressed at an uneven number, such as 47, the one we are in now. I am seeking an even numbered address for our next place. I even picked apart a house we looked at to buy based on it being number 73. I also don't like long streets. I think there is more advantage in shorter streets. 20 or so houses at most. Cul-de-sacs :drool: I don't actually like uneven numbers anyway; evens are better. Neater. And it's always tails when flipping a coin. I cannot say heads. It's not right.

... Ok, so maybe we aren't alike. I'm just a little mental.
:(

I don't have a problem with odd numbers, per se, but for me 47 is bad because it's 13 from 60, which would mean, for example, 2:47 would be a bad time to do anything. I would wait until 2:48 or probably 2:49 to be safe.

Every now and then I try to explain this to someone, but really, I need to stop doing that cause it just makes me look nuts. But it just seems to make sense, rather it feels like it makes sense. It just furthers my theory that none of this is "real", and we've done it countless times before.

UberBeaver said:

But it just seems to make sense, rather it feels like it makes sense. It just furthers my theory that none of this is "real", and we've done it countless times before.

I have a lot of things that just "are". I couldn't even begin to explain why, they just are the way I work, absolutely lacking in logic.

Exactly. And man, I hate that uncomfortable feeling when your world collides with the world of people that just don't get it.

"So why do I have to wait 2 minutes?"
"Cause it's 2:47."
"I don't follow."
"Just to be safe."
"Huh?"
"Don't worry about it."
"But I want to go in now."
"Just wait a minute."
"Why?"
:sigh:
"You're fucking nuts."
"Nah, you're the one that thinks this is real. You're nuts."
"What?"
"C'mon, it's time to go."

I get something similar with 11 seconds or minutes. The time is so frequently 11 past the hour when I check the clock, the timer on the microwave and oven are always something like 2:11, or 5:11. I wake up at 11 past 6 or 7 very often. I began noticing this after 9/11 when the clocks said 9:11, or 8:11 and I'd either link the date or say to myself 'one hour off'. If it weren't 6 years on and still occurring with regular frequency then I'd be thinking it's just a mad coincidence. Now, though, it happens all times of day and with all kinds of clocks and counters. I notice the 11. It follows me.

corianderstem said:

Admit it ... this habit started while you were a young 'un taking piano lessons, with the teacher threatening to clip your fingernails at every lesson because they were too long! :wink:

Nope. I didn't really have lessons as a young'un. :) I started lessons at 15, well after I'd been picking my nails. Maybe I was subconsciously preparing myself for piano when I first started picking at 'em. :wink:

UberBeaver said:
Exactly. And man, I hate that uncomfortable feeling when your world collides with the world of people that just don't get it.

"So why do I have to wait 2 minutes?"
"Cause it's 2:47."
"I don't follow."
"Just to be safe."
"Huh?"
"Don't worry about it."
"But I want to go in now."
"Just wait a minute."
"Why?"
"You're fucking nuts."
"Nah, you're the one that thinks this is real. You're nuts."
"What?"
"C'mon, it's time to go."

early last week:

"I don't need to be walked to my car."
"oh no worries, I'll just walk you"
"no, no it's fine thanks"
"well why don't I just walk you"
"I walk slow, go ahead, really it's fine"
"I've seen you walk, you speed walk, what are you talking about"
" I walk slow in the rain, just please go ahead"
"why do you walk slow in the rain"
"I just do"
"why"
" I have to watch for worms, it's takes me longer to walk to my car in the rain because I have to look for worms, so I can avoid them, and in the dark it takes even longer, now can you just. please. leave. me ALONE???"
"worms?"
"really? worms?"
"yes"
"why?"
"I have no clue, I know they are fantastic for the environment, natures rototiller if you will, but I can't touch them, please don't tell anyone or make fun of me"
"alright, I'll still walk you and won't say a word about it"

almost every night since:
"I'll walk you to your car, I know it's not raining now, but it might start and I can help, you know, looking for those things"

:killintheface: :mad:

When I am walking home, for example, and need to cross the road I always like walking on the opposite side of the pavement until the very last moment I can cross.

It really bothers me when someone crosses the road at the top of the street and not closer to the destination.

I also prefer numbers that can be divided by 2 & 5, I'm not a fan of anything with a 3 in it.

VertigoGal said:
the time 11:19 follows me around.
at least 1 + 1 + 1 = 3, which cubed is 9.
otherwise we might have some serious problems.

I follow this logic completely. 9 is an awesome number. It's a cube, which means it's tight. Complete like. No worries with 9. And it's purple. :cute: <--- looks like 9 to me.

Angela Harlem said:
I get something similar with 11 seconds or minutes. .... I notice the 11. It follows me.

I've noticed that it's often 11 past. It's also seeming always 47 past. Yet it's never 32 past, you ever notice that? WTF? I like 11. I think he's a cool number.

Lara Mullen said:

I also prefer numbers that can be divided by 2 & 5, I'm not a fan of anything with a 3 in it.

As a kid I hated the #3. But it's just so prevelant I forced myself to accept it, and to this day I have a somewhat reluctant acceptance of it. I hate 6. I won't stop reading a book on any page ending in 6 , 18 (6x3)or 13. Because of proximity, I also don't stop on 5, 7, 12, or 14, and generally to be safe I try to get to 8 or 15. All the other numbers I like, 2 and 7 being my favorites. 8 seems nice too. 4 is a wiseass, but I like it anyway.

snowbunny00774 said:

early last week:

"I don't need to be walked to my car."
"oh no worries, I'll just walk you"
"no, no it's fine thanks"
"well why don't I just walk you"
"I walk slow, go ahead, really it's fine"
"I've seen you walk, you speed walk, what are you talking about"
" I walk slow in the rain, just please go ahead"
"why do you walk slow in the rain"
"I just do"
"why"
" I have to watch for worms, it's takes me longer to walk to my car in the rain because I have to look for worms, so I can avoid them, and in the dark it takes even longer, now can you just. please. leave. me ALONE???"
"worms?"
"really? worms?"
"yes"
"why?"
"I have no clue, I know they are fantastic for the environment, natures rototiller if you will, but I can't touch them, please don't tell anyone or make fun of me"
"alright, I'll still walk you and won't say a word about it"

almost every night since:
"I'll walk you to your car, I know it's not raining now, but it might start and I can help, you know, looking for those things"

:killintheface: :mad:
:cute: Aww...He likes you. :D

I hate worms, but not as much as I hate slugs. Snails though, they're all right with me. :hi5: snails! One thing about cars that drive me crazy, if I need to open the passenger door for someone, which is really polite after all, I face a dilemna each time on whether to go around the back of the car, or around the front. I generally choose the back, but sometimes it just doesn't feel right. I am amazed that I able to function normally in society. I am also amazed and relieved to find that there are others that have these strange, inexplicable goings on too. WTF?

:shh: I think we're advanced mentally. I just read Born on a Blue Day, it was written by an autistic savant. He has a weird relationship with numbers too. I was reading it and every now and I then I'd be like, "YES! I get that!" Maybe I'm slightly autistic or something. That would explain a lot. I could never pay attention. I count things for no reason. I sort of have routines that I enjoy. I get nervous going to new places, but I'm fine once I get there. I dunno. I'm not right either way.

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:

I don't have a problem with odd numbers, per se, but for me 47 is bad because it's 13 from 60, which would mean, for example, 2:47 would be a bad time to do anything. I would wait until 2:48 or probably 2:49 to be safe.

Every now and then I try to explain this to someone, but really, I need to stop doing that cause it just makes me look nuts. But it just seems to make sense, rather it feels like it makes sense. It just furthers my theory that none of this is "real", and we've done it countless times before.

I can totally relate to this. For me 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 11 and 12 are bad numbers because of the position of the sun at those hours. I've also noticed what Angela Harlem was talking about with the time. Whenever I look at the clock, the minute hand is on the 29. Inside noon and midnight the time is almost always on 12:29 (which is my birthday.) I can also relate to trying to make people understand this. They ask you why you do it when the only answer is that it just is. For me it's worse because it extends to colors, the position of shadows and how other objects are moving. I'd dismiss it as an overactive imagination if not for this stuff proving useful and in one case lifesaving.

this might sound a bit weird but i move my fingers profusely when I'm really nervous. i scrape my thumbs from my last finger to my first over and over and over

UberBeaver said:

I follow this logic completely. 9 is an awesome number. It's a cube, which means it's tight. Complete like. No worries with 9. And it's purple. :cute: <--- looks like 9 to me.

I've noticed that it's often 11 past. It's also seeming always 47 past. Yet it's never 32 past, you ever notice that? WTF? I like 11. I think he's a cool number.

As a kid I hated the #3. But it's just so prevelant I forced myself to accept it, and to this day I have a somewhat reluctant acceptance of it. I hate 6. I won't stop reading a book on any page ending in 6 , 18 (6x3)or 13. Because of proximity, I also don't stop on 5, 7, 12, or 14, and generally to be safe I try to get to 8 or 15. All the other numbers I like, 2 and 7 being my favorites. 8 seems nice too. 4 is a wiseass, but I like it anyway.

:cute: Aww...He likes you. :D

I hate worms, but not as much as I hate slugs. Snails though, they're all right with me. :hi5: snails! One thing about cars that drive me crazy, if I need to open the passenger door for someone, which is really polite after all, I face a dilemna each time on whether to go around the back of the car, or around the front. I generally choose the back, but sometimes it just doesn't feel right. I am amazed that I able to function normally in society. I am also amazed and relieved to find that there are others that have these strange, inexplicable goings on too. WTF?

:shh: I think we're advanced mentally. I just read Born on a Blue Day, it was written by an autistic savant. He has a weird relationship with numbers too. I was reading it and every now and I then I'd be like, "YES! I get that!" Maybe I'm slightly autistic or something. That would explain a lot. I could never pay attention. I count things for no reason. I sort of have routines that I enjoy. I get nervous going to new places, but I'm fine once I get there. I dunno. I'm not right either way.

And Mrs.Beav still married you? :wink:
And you wonder why the cat is after you!

We had to write a paper on idiosyncrisies in high school. It was a tough one at the time, cuz when put on the spot, I couldn't think of anything. Though today when I play solitaire, I have to play the 2-3 versions I know, and usually til I win or are very close to it. And there was a card game for two when I was a kid called Spit. Since I have no one to play it with, I play by myself. So I have this routine of Spit, solitaire1, solitaire2, and if I win/do well on these, maybe solitaire 3. :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom