This voice in my head...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kristie said:
Do it!
I'd hate to see you regret not doing it later in life.

I met a lady yesterday who is a PhD student in the public health program here, she and her husband goes to Tanzania every summer to do AIDS work. She's trying to do an anthropological approach by combining the traditional medicine and the holy man with modern medicine. I thought it sounded awesome.

Yes, it does sound awesome. In Tanzania, they have an even split between Christians, Muslims, and traditional religions. Their greatest obstacle for implementing proper health care and health education besides lack of funds is traditional beliefs. For example, many people use a certain type of grass on the floor of their huts. I can't remember what religious/cultural significance it has, but this type of grass is popular among certain parasites, so people are continually infecting themselves and their families because of a traditional belief with no scientific value. It's important to take these beliefs into account, because people are more receptive when you say "I understand you do this and this is why it is bad and you could substitute this grass instead" rather than "You are wrong, don't do that."

indra said:

If you think it's something you will regret if you don't do...do it now.

Indra is right, but try to find your own balance, also keeping in mind the needings of your family :)

Good Luck!

I found a program that is an actual job, not a volunteer trip, and it's 3+ years initial commitment, and can put me in Tanzania. They pay, not a lot, but enough to survive (read - not default on our over $100,000 in student debt). The only problem is they typically don't accept newlyweds unless you're transferring from a similar position. I guess we'll have to wait a year and see...

^ if in a year your will to do it will be as strong as it is today, then you'll know that's what you MUST do.

If you both really want to do it, you should go for it. Definitely. As indra said, it won't be as easy to do such a drastic thing later on, and you probably won't stop thinking about it until you've tried it out.

:hatsoffforvolunteers:

Well with my background, you gotta know what I'll say. Peace Corps was a great experience for me and one that I recommend without hesitation. They give you the language and culture training that most NGOs won't...you get to interact with local people and not with other expats. You live and work in a local community and get hands-on grass-roots experience which is a bonus on your resume if you want to continue in NGO work later. Oh, and your student loans will all most likely be deferred easily. (You can also get 15% a year cancelled off any Federal Perkins loan for serving.) :up:

However, I wouldn't advise a major change like this right after your wedding. Give yourself some time to bond as a couple before subjecting yourselves to the implications of culture shock, etc. My boyfriend (from Africa) and I are dealing with all this now on our return to the States and it's not easy on a relationship.

I think you should go for it while you're young. You'll look back and regret later if you get tied down to mortgages and children without having had your opportunity. Good luck!

-sula

Yes, Peace Corps is always in the back of my mind, but, how did you deal with the financial end of things? That's the part that I keep coming back to. My Perkins Loans are just the tip of the debt iceburg, and most of my loans are from companies, not the gov't, so I have no clue how likely they are to defer. Also, what do you do when you come back or how to you pay for your house/apartment while you are away? And my cats, I'd have to find a new home for my cats and give them money to care for them (I'm not about to just dump them at some shelter).

This lady from one organization, Cross Cultural Solutions, has been calling me, but as far as I can tell, they only have short term volunteer placements.

We sort of talked about it again the other day and if things don't work in Florida, we'll probably stay here for a year or so and then try to move. I've got a professor/mentor/friend who could easily hook me up with a job with one of his many organizations or business ventures in Tanzania. I don't want to limit myself to volunteer programs because it would be great to have a job, even a crappy one, while adjusting for a year or two and then move on to something non-profit. One thing I noticed while there was that there were so many great grassroots orgs that I'd love to be a part of, but I'd never heard about here in the US.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe I brought it up and said..."Florida isn't looking good(my job interview has brought no response). If we stick around Grand Rapids for one year, let's go to Africa." :)

Though Lies definately has her passion and reasons for going, when I lie in bed thinking about this possibility, I can't sleep. Please pray for us so we can make the right decisions and find the right opportunity for us.

Ah tender moments with got philk. peace, love

LivLuv, thanks for the mention of Cross Cultural Solutions! The intern program looks just like something I was looking for and I'm checking out the Tanzania or Ghana placement :hyper: PS--thanks for the note bout student loans, my blood pressure has returned to a seminormal level now. :wink:

starsgoblue said:
LivLuv, thanks for the mention of Cross Cultural Solutions! The intern program looks just like something I was looking for and I'm checking out the Tanzania or Ghana placement :hyper: PS--thanks for the note bout student loans, my blood pressure has returned to a seminormal level now. :wink:

Thank digsy, I'm pretty sure I got the name from one of her posts. If you're interested in knowing more about Tanzania in general, I can hook you up with some people I know who are from there and/or have lived there. I didn't get to go to any other countries, but my school has a semester-long program in Ghana that I of course regret not doing. I'm going to be living vicariously through you for a few years now, huh?

Glad to hear the loans are getting sorted out. :wink:

PS. Stars, do you by chance go to a 4-1-4 term school?

Last edited:
I attend Ohio State University, they got quarters that last for 10 weeks each. From what I remember, those 10 weeks drag on forever too. :wink:

If I can go, I'll be shooting to possibly go next summer & I would definetly be interested in conversing with someone who has been there/from there!

I've had a similar voice in my head saying go on a mission trip to Africa. Yet, I'm so busy with career/mortgage payments/bills etc.., it's just not realistic right now. I promised myself to set aside time for a missions trip within the next five years. Meanwhile, I've been volunteering at a food kitchen, became a compassion international sponsor, and even drove around frantically in Washington DC traffic with "meals on wheels" to help deliver food to the elderly. Go for it now if you can, or later if you must! Just don't let that voice in your head fade away. :rockon:

sonicsmurf said:
I've had a similar voice in my head saying go on a mission trip to Africa. Yet, I'm so busy with career/mortgage payments/bills etc.., it's just not realistic right now. I promised myself to set aside time for a missions trip within the next five years. Meanwhile, I've been volunteering at a food kitchen, became a compassion international sponsor, and even drove around frantically in Washington DC traffic with "meals on wheels" to help deliver food to the elderly. Go for it now if you can, or later if you must! Just don't let that voice in your head fade away. :rockon:

Don't worry, it's not. I think about it every day. The thing is, when/if we go, I don't want it to be a mission trip or for a volunteer program, but something long-term. I want to really understand and try to be a part of a different culture. Studies show that it takes at least a year, more like two with such a drastic change, to really begin to accept yourself as part of a new culture. The one bad thing about the experience I already had was that it was so short term and even to this day I feel confused and disoriented when I try to break it all down in my head.

I'm 30, and just trying to go on a short term mission trip. And, it's super difficult with all my strings and obligations... Your just starting out. =) I say try your best to make it happen as it really sounds like it could be something very rewarding. Now is the time.

A lot of organizations offer tons of help with student loan deferrments.

I was qualified to do a stint with MSF (Doctors Without Borders) as a laboratory scientist and I know that they pay you a monthly stiped (not huge, maybe $1K or so) plus a per diem. They will also have your student loans deferred and will pay the interest on your student loans for 6 months after you have completed your placement. They're one of the better organizations to get involved with in terms of things like this and I found it very attractive for that reason.

anitram said:

I was qualified to do a stint with MSF (Doctors Without Borders) as a laboratory scientist and I know that they pay you a monthly stiped (not huge, maybe $1K or so) plus a per diem. They will also have your student loans deferred and will pay the interest on your student loans for 6 months after you have completed your placement. They're one of the better organizations to get involved with in terms of things like this and I found it very attractive for that reason.

They will pay your interest? :drool: If only I was in the medical field :sigh:

I was reading this and worrying, what's going to happen to all your critters if you go off to another country? You took them all in and their lives are in your hands. I hope you wouldn't just give them to the pound or something. If you have a nagging need to do charity work, there are also plenty of poor and suffering folk right in your own city, you could help them too. Of course you could always do short term work abroad, but don't forget the happy tails waiting for you at home. Good luck on your marriage and graduation and future.

I actually have thought that through and my roommate asked me about it today. I've decided it would be too stressful for them to travel. Posh takes 2-3 weeks to adjust to a new person in the home. A new house with a completely new environment in an area where it would be difficult to find proper veterinary care would be very unfair for her. Beckham is fine with new people and places, but he has an issue with puking and pretty much anything out of the norm upsets his stomach.

What I would do is place them myself with a family I choose. I'd give them money for the vet bills and other stuff and the agreement would be that they could not give the cats up (I'd have a backup plan, like my parents) and that I would probably have to turn them over forever because after 2-5 years, the cats would bond with new people and the people would bond with the cats.

Sad for me, but that's what is best for them. I feel it's a responsible way of looking at it. To take them along is unfair to them, and I'd NEVER NEVER give them to a rescue or shelter. Sometimes you just gotta make sacrifices.

I know there's lots of local orgs that need help, but like I said before, we want to move because we want to live there. It would not be volunteer work, but hopefully work work for an organization whose mission involves helping people in some way or another.

Well I sure hope it doesn't come to that. I know there's no way you could take them with you, I was just thinking surely she's not just going to run off and leave them after establishing a home with them. You know it's not easy to 'place' pets with people, everyone says no, that's why the pounds are full. Me personally, I believe pets are LIFETIME commitment, and no one should take them just for fun and then tire of them, or decide they want to leave the country and then just ditch them. If you wanted to be free, then why get pets? It's not fair to them now. They all have strong attachments to us, and it's devastating for them. I have never understood how anyone could just push them aside. I really REALLY hope your 'little voice' tells you to stay and take care of them. There is plenty of charity and good you can do here, too. I must say, I am actually deeply disturbed you'd even consider leaving them, and it prompted me to post again after I swore myself off this site. I hope and pray you don't leave them. It's not fair to them now. Animals are not cars or furniture to be cast aside when they no longer fit your life. They are living things. Sorry, but I'm heartbroken over this, and I had to say it.

Sorry you feel that way. I know several missionary families who have left children behind as they went abroad for several years. People leave behind parents and friends every day. Sometimes the right and most responsible thing to do isn't the thing you want to do. My cats have always lived with four other people, because I've always lived with these people since I got my cats and are equally attached to them (just as they are attached to our cats). Since these people are my best friends, the cats would stay with one of them.

I'm offended that you think that leaving my pets with people who they are already attached to equates to "ditching" them.

What's "not fair" for them is putting them on two 10 hour flights and forcing them to adjust to living in a totally new environment without the other people and cats that they're used to seeing every day and without access to proper vet care.

If I lived alone in a small apartment, it would be one thing, but all four of our cats (two are mine) have had free range of a house I share with 3 housemates and usually Phil. I missed them every day when I went to Africa before, but they were fine since they are fed and cared for by all five of us.

If I took Posh, I really think she would die because she is so sensitive. Any new thing upsets her so much she will hide for weeks and not eat. I can't take Beckham and not take Posh because they're inseperable. The best is to leave them together at their home with my friends family and their two other cat friends. If something happens to my friend, they'll go to my parents because they've lived in my parents house before and know that house and the people.

Anyway, that's my decision and I don't need to waste any more space defending it.

I agree with you on the cat thing Lies. When I moved just across the country I didn't think it would be fair to my cat to make her travel so far and get used to an entirely different environment. Especially turning her into a house cat :yikes:

Aside from that, when you weigh the value of going abroad and helping other human beings with staying home for your cats it seems obvious which one to choose :shrug:

I'm an animal lover myself but I agree here with Lies and Tara. Besides, Lies isn't concerned with "charity" but being part of a solution to a problem that stems much deeper than that. This is a career choice she is considering here not a whim of fancy and she has had prior experience with needing to travel before and has had what seems to be an experience that didn't jepordize the health of anyone. At this point it seems nothing is close to being finalized anyways other than just 'dreaming out loud', which I could never find fault in doing.

I never, never said anything about taking them with you. I never thought you would, that's why I was going on the 'ditching' thing. If you have actual friends you know personally who will take them, that's great, but if you don't, and they are left to an uncertain future or being 'put down' that's what upsets me. I know your parents dislike animals and won't take them, you have told us several times how you were never allowed to have a dog or cat growing up because they didn't want them, so you know they won't want them now. I just really hate to see anyone get a pet and then get rid of it like they would a toy they were done playing with, or a couch or a car that no longer fit their lifestyle.

And as far as leaving kids behind, that's different, no one is going to put them to sleep or get rid of them, somebody will always take care of them. Can't say that for animals.

Aside from that, when you weigh the value of going abroad and helping other human beings with staying home for your cats it seems obvious which one to choose

Oh, I was wondering how long it was going to be before someone took the old pious 'humans over animals' route. I really hope anyone with this attitude ever even gets a pet. If you think 'it's just an animal', get yourself a toy instead. It won't feel the pain when you tire of it.

I can't understand how anyone could make a 'life decision' disregarding the life of their pets. I'd never go anywhere they weren't welcome.(other than a short vacation of course) Pets are part of the family and they should always be considered as such. Animals are living things, they are not toys and out of style clothes or old apartments to be cast aside when you 'move on.'If you aren't going to take them for life, don't take them. Once you have, look out for them. Too many creatures have suffered because of our disposable society.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the more I learn about people, the more I prefer animals!

Last edited:
u2bonogirl said:
Aside from that, when you weigh the value of going abroad and helping other human beings with staying home for your cats it seems obvious which one to choose :shrug: [/B]

This is really arrogant. I'm sorry, it is. Who are you to make judgements on how people want to spend their lives?

sulawesigirl4 said:
Well with my background, you gotta know what I'll say. Peace Corps was a great experience for me and one that I recommend without hesitation. They give you the language and culture training that most NGOs won't...you get to interact with local people and not with other expats. You live and work in a local community and get hands-on grass-roots experience which is a bonus on your resume if you want to continue in NGO work later. Oh, and your student loans will all most likely be deferred easily. (You can also get 15% a year cancelled off any Federal Perkins loan for serving.) :up:

However, I wouldn't advise a major change like this right after your wedding. Give yourself some time to bond as a couple before subjecting yourselves to the implications of culture shock, etc. My boyfriend (from Africa) and I are dealing with all this now on our return to the States and it's not easy on a relationship.

I think you should go for it while you're young. You'll look back and regret later if you get tied down to mortgages and children without having had your opportunity. Good luck!

-sula

sula,
This is great information you provided there. I am interested in working in an NGO but want the experience that something like the peacecorp will offer. I may contact you outside of this forum to discuss your experiences.

Back
Top Bottom