This only proves my point....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, I guess now we have established that the issue isn't that you took it seriously

I guess at this point what is so astounding to me is the continued silence on the issue, combined with closing threads that anyone opens to discuss the issue. That's causing more damage here than the original issue, IMO.

I have tried not to get involved in this whole thing, but I just want to get some things off my chest.

I am a public relations professional in my "real" life. I have delt with "crisis" situations and trained clients to respond to crisis situations. One of the first things you teach people is that you have to be frank and honest about the situation--transparency is key to preserving your reputation.

Unfortunately I don't thing we have seen that from the administrator or staff of this forum. When "The Edge" first started posted, we were simply told that it really was The Edge, because that Interference staff had confirmed it and had “contact” with The Edge and other “connections.” End of story.

That’s one way of explaining the situation, but an explanation that any first year public relations student would recommend. As a professional who’s been in the trenches, I think it would have been helpful to go a step further, particularly when the accusations started flying around, questioning the authenticity of the poster known as “The Edge.” How cool would it have been for us to hear the story of how “The Edge” began posting here. It would have given credibility to the situation. Instead more questions were asked than answers given. I understand the need to protect the privacy of the band and of posters, but I think there are ways the story could have been shared without compromising anyone’s privacy.

In this day and age, we’re well aware of how people can be deceived on the internet—plenty of people say they’re one thing and in fact are really something else. Say we had been given a more complete picture of how the relationship with U2 developed (not every single little detail, but a clearer picture) … say we had a better understanding from the beginning. I don’t think we would be facing the turmoil we’re facing now (bickering between members, accusations, etc) and we would not be questioning the credibility of Joel and his staff.

As a professional communicator, this latest round of accusations (the ones made yesterday afternoon) about Joel being completely deceived into thinking that it was really The Edge posting here really made me want to post something.

Say we did have that clearer picture of how The Edge came to post here and these latest accusations were made. Don’t you think we would be a bit more understanding of Joel and the staff? We would be a bit more patient and supportive of Joel’s efforts to get to the bottom of things and find out if indeed this entire community was deceived?

I feel absolutely horrible for the mods of this form … they do so much wonderful work every single day because of their love for U2. They are being put in an awkward position caught between the staff and the members of this forum. And for most, if not all of them, they know just about as much as us, the members, of this forum know.

I feel terrible that we are losing members over this and other recent situations … the reason I enjoy this place has become less about my love for U2 and more about my love for the great people I have met here. In fact, it’s rare that I even post about U2 anymore … though I do still keep up with all of the latest news and gossip :wink:

I think this is a great message board (one of the best I have seen and participated in), but that is because of the people here.

I hope we can find a way to resolve all of these questions and turmoil and get back to better times … hey, we’ve got an album due out in less than a month and a tour in 2005. I would hope we can go into this exciting new chapter of the U2 story as a united group of fans.

Jessica

JessicaAnn said:

I am a public relations professional in my "real" life. I have delt with "crisis" situations and trained clients to respond to crisis situations. One of the first things you teach people is that you have to be frank and honest about the situation--transparency is key to preserving your reputation.

:up:

I really think my 14 year old sister could've done a more mature job handling this situation.

JessicaAnn said:
Don’t you think we would be a bit more understanding of Joel and the staff? We would be a bit more patient and supportive of Joel’s efforts to get to the bottom of things and find out if indeed this entire community was deceived?
which brings us back to the question why Joel simply dismissed (for starters) every comment from people in his staff that all of this seemed to be bogus weeks ago

steps should already have been taken back then to figure out what was going on instead of maintaining that this is definitely The Edge and ignoring/eliminating the ones who tried to warn you

this all could have very easily been prevented and yet it wasn't
and I don't think we will ever find out why

Salome said:
which brings us back to the question why Joel simply dismissed (for starters) every comment from people in his staff that all of this seemed to be bogus weeks ago

steps should already have been taken back then to figure out what was going on instead of maintaining that this is definitely The Edge and ignoring/eliminating the ones who tried to warn you

this all could have very easily been prevented and yet it wasn't
and I don't think we will ever find out why

Which is exactly why I started that paragraph by saying:

Say we did have that clearer picture of how The Edge came to post here and these latest accusations were made. Don’t you think we would be a bit more understanding of Joel and the staff? We would be a bit more patient and supportive of Joel’s efforts to get to the bottom of things and find out if indeed this entire community was deceived?

If Joel would have been forthright with both the mods and members from the beginning, the whole ugly path we have gone down (including what happened to you and AH) could have been prevented.

But, as they say, hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to say what should have been done, or could have been done.

But the situation is what it is and unfortunately it will be very difficult to fix.

my only issue... why are we so inclined to believe this person's one random post over Joel? Right now, I don't really know who to believe. The person who posted on the @u2 forum used the name DSmith... one of the mods on interference uses the name DSmith... but the interference dsmith has stated that she is NOT the @u2 DSmith. So frankly, why am i more inclined to trust a post of a person who posts once under a name that turns out to be bogus and never posts again? What's the deal with that?

I don't know exactly who to believe now... Joel would not allow me to post the U2 spain clips on The Office of U2 Security because of the potential legal problems with the band it could cause. Why would he then go and purposely decieve the people of this forum into believing that the edge was actually posting, knowing the potential legal problems that would cause. :shrug: it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever that he would do that.

I don't F'ing know anymore. i've never believed people who come in here and say they are the band, know the band, know relatives of the band, etc. etc. The only reason why i believed this was because it came from the staff themselves. If it is indeed not true :tsk: it would be like finding out Santa Claus doesn't exist all over again, and I only found that out yesterday! :sad:

Last edited:
JessicaAnn said:
But, as they say, hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to say what should have been done, or could have been done.
there is no hindsight involved in this
there was sufficient reason to believe that this wasn't Edge, people expressed their concern and instead of taking actions to verify this these people were just ignored (when lucky)

what should have been done is communicating what lead you to believe that this really is The Edge - which can easily be done without any personal info being revealed - when people started providing you with grounded suspicions on why according to them this was a fake weeks ago (this still hasn't happened btw)

even now no one has a single clue why this site thinks/thought this really is The Edge
I guess I could trust Joel when he has some sort of story next week
but so far he done everything wrong while having people telling him to do this differently

I can't accept all of that being a result of bad communication

Salome said:
what should have been done is communicating what lead you to believe that this really is The Edge - which can easily be done without any personal info being revealed -

This was the point I was trying to make ... perhaps the point got lost in my rather long-winded post.

And this explanation should have been done immediately when "The Edge" (or whomever it is) started posting--even before accusations were made.

Last edited:

I am sure I could have handled things better and take fault in that.Open and Honest yes however they still try and look after the clients interest in every situation. Perhaps I have worked with government a bit too long, but sad as the reality is the music industry PR and publicity machine works the same way,untill your in the belly of that beast you should have your eyes wide open. I have no clue what staff came to Joel with what information or what he did with it.

and meegannie if you would like to come to my work and critic what I actually do you might find that a better example then a little forum posting,which I do not pay much attention to as it regards my sentence structure.

Last edited:
JessicaAnn said:

This was the point I was trying to make ... perhaps the point got lost in my rather long-winded post.
your post wasn't long-winded and we do indeed agree with the total lack of communication as what is damaging to this forum

the difference is that you seem to think of the poor communication tactics as the problem, while I tend to see the poor communication tactics as a result of either being so blind to reality + wrapped up in your own ego that you don't want to deal with sane discussion or that all of this fits ones purpose so well that he/she would rather milk it for all its worth

Katey said:

I am sure I could have handled things better and take fault in that.Open and Honest yes however they still try and look after the clients interest in every situation. Perhaps I have worked with government a bit too long, but sad as the reality is the music industry PR and publicity machine works the same way,untill your in the belly of that beast you should have your eyes wide open. I have no clue what staff came to Joel with what information or what he did with it.

Katey,

I don't think this is totally your fault. I guess my thoughts were thoughts that I had about communication from the staff to the members in general.

As for what you said about looking out for your client's best interests ...

A good PR person is the one who is supposed to provide the voice of reason. Working at a PR agency has allowed me to work with a variety of industries, including government, health care, F&B, hospitality, non-profit and a bit with entertainment. Having that variety of experience has taught me that every industry has their own “belly of the beast.” I agree it is tough to rise above it, but it’s our job to do so. To provide that voice of reason in the midst of the chaos—to balance the needs of the client with those of the public. Sometimes the solution you offer to your client, at first glance, may not always appear to be in their best interest of the client, but you have to help them see how it will help them in the end.

Sal: :hug: Whatever the reason for the poor communication, the bottom line is that this whole situation sucks.

Ugh, did anyone else get an e-mail from Joel about two free months of Premium Membership? Sorry, my trust and respect cannot be bought.....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Ugh, did anyone else get an e-mail from Joel about two free months of Premium Membership? Sorry, my trust and respect cannot be bought.....

:tsk: I got one and I agree with your point.

Thanks for being supportive?? Does that mean thanks for not having voiced your opinion?? Because I haven't since I don't find the topic so upsetting.

But this pisses me off big time. This is a new low. :mad:

I won't be upset which ever the truth is as long as they give us the truth. I mean come one we have all fucked up sometime but I cannot stand dishonest people.

And btw Resolving things??? that sounds like bovine poo to me!

Last edited:

:tsk: :down:

yeah I got that too..wooptidy do...like that'll change anything.

To provide that voice of reason in the midst of the chaos—to balance the needs of the client with those of the public. Sometimes the solution you offer to your client, at first glance, may not always appear to be in their best interest of the client, but you have to help them see how it will help them in the end.

Hey JessicaAnn, you are very right and I know you understand how that works and that many times the behind the scenes stuff and problem solving stays just where it should. And yes every industry does have it's own belly sometimes the non profit can be as bad as any LOL. This was not a decision easily made by anyone and was certainly unique to anything I have seen before or hope to ever see again. You do the best you can with what you have, it's always easier to look back and say geez I should have done this or should have said that.But we are where we are and so we have to take responsibility for that and deal with it. Looking from the outside in that might seem simple, it is not.

Last edited:
ThatGuy said:

That is disgusting.

more like pityful If this is the measures that are taken to keep the members that are leaving interference by the numbers then I don't know if we should laugh or cry.

But this is a trust issue that will take long time to repair.

Last edited:
Lemonboy said:

Thanks for being supportive?? Does that mean thanks for not having voiced your opinion??

The ironic thing is that I've been quite open with the fact that I am completely disgusted with Joel. He can take my premium membership and shove it up his ass :shrug:

The ironic thing is that I've been quite open with the fact that I am completely disgusted with Joel. He can take my premium membership and shove it up his ass :shrug:

Yeah those lines really rubbed me the wrong way because it is having their tongues so far up the asses of the members that it is unbelieveable.:|

OzAurora said:
It makes me wonder if this place is turning into a totalitarian state- you may only have one view point and that is whatever Elvis deems to be the 'truth', anything other than that will be deemed a 'spin off' thread and CLOSED!!!!

In one of the many threads in the past sevearl weeks that have asked questions about the authenticity of THE Edge's posts here, someone suggested that the interview and his posts be deleted and we all go back to being how it was before.

I thought that idea would have George Orwell spinning in his grave, it was very Big Brother 1984ish. Erase the past, people have short memories and are easily manipulated.
I wanted it to be the Edge and despite continual reassurance by those in charge here ( and in the know I had presumed) that it verifiably was The Edge, I still smelled a rat. I had always imagined Edge to be extremely intelligent and eloquent. The Fake Edge that was let loose here was certainly neither of those things.
For me this Fake Edge scam was just the final straw. This site has been drifting for some time imho, further and further from the original reason we are all here, the love of and belief in U2.

so many good people have left the building :sad: shame shame shame

Its interesting, last night I made out a check to become a premium member. But this morning I forgot to place it in the mailbox. And then I get to work and see this.

What a coincidence :|

EDIT TO ADD: I've always wanted to be a premium, and me almost sending my $12 in wasn't because "The Edge" was "supposedly" posting

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom