Things you're really affraid of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and i used to think i was afraid of heights, but now i've realized it's more a fear of falling.

I totally get you on this. When I was 12 I fell backward off a flying fox. It was at a school camp, in the bush. I ended up in a shallow stream on my back. Ever since then I get a little petrified if up high on something 'unstable'....

I used to be petrified of bees and wasps, until I had my first sting 4yrs ago...now I'm fine! :lol:

But I still can't do Praying Mantis's, Stick Insects, Weta's, cockroaches....etc...

Ultimately it's something happening to one of my children, whether injury or death. Losing my husband (through death), or me dying young when my kids still need me...

spiders, sharks, and like Gluey said, something happening to my family - sometimes I have nightmares and wake up crying because I've dreamed my husband was sick or something happened to my parents.

Home invasion
Child being abducted
Plane crash
Death

I'll say this straight up, my list of fears is rather lengthy. I wasn't afraid of home invasion until it happened to us. The kind of fear it gives you is not like a phobia, but during it, it is a more severe physical reaction than I ever thought would be possible. You feel ill, very weak, you feel pain in your limbs, wobbly, like you are under a strobe light.. Your brain cries out as it processes everything that is happening, but it keeps shutting itself off - I suppose to stop you panicking during it. The strobe feeling returns. Everything is in collage. When you think of the fear of it happening again when it is over, this is what you think of - the feeling, your reaction to it at the time. It makes you sick. You then move onto something happening to your family. What would you do? You now know you're capable of killing someone. A lot of people 'know' they are capable of killing someone, but learning how that feels? That's a new kettle of fish.

My other fears are like yours - I hate flying, I fear leaving the ground. I hate heights. I cannot climb ladders, can't stand on chairs easily to get things out of tall cupboards. I fear spiders (though not as bad as I once did due to a phobia management course), I now fear snakes because they are everywhere in my backyard, I fear being buried alive. I fear just not being dead and then requiring an autopsy. Because of this I fear anaesthetic.

Incarceration. The thought of ever going to jail freaks me the fuck out in myriad ways. Especially if I was wrongfully imprisoned....I'd lose my mind. I'll sometimes watch one of those prison documentaries on History or NatGeo, and think to myself "That shit just scared me straight, I'm never committing a crime again", and I don't commit any fucking crimes, but it scares me straight anyway.

Haven't you read FYM? Gaol is an unworthy punishment. They get TV!!! They get their meals cooked for them!!!! It's a walk in the goddamn park, man. I don't feel one iota of sympathy for offenders, see home invasion phobia, but fuck me - people who reckon it's some idyllic existence are so far beyond stupidly naive that it's painful to read/hear/listen to.

I absolutely hate it when people sneak up behind me.
It's not that I am afraid, it's just I get really jumpy.
It has to do with constantly having to be on guard when I was a young girl.

Some people think I over-react, but I can't help it.

It's not a fear, but I def. hate it when people do that.

I'm afraid of driving. Seriously. I'm thoroughly convinced every time I take the wheel either I'm going to kill someone or someone is going to kill me. It makes me nervous like nothing else. I'm not a skilled driver, but I try to be safe. Of course being the best driver in the world can't prevent someone else from destroying you :yikes: I'm not nearly as nervous as a passenger, although if I watch other drivers too much I do get a bit antsy.

I also hate getting lost, which I am prone to because I have a terrible sense of direction. Another strike against driving.

spiders are creepy

the thought of being alone is scary in an entirely different way.

I wasn't afraid of home invasion until it happened to us. The kind of fear it gives you is not like a phobia, but during it, it is a more severe physical reaction than I ever thought would be possible. You feel ill, very weak, you feel pain in your limbs, wobbly, like you are under a strobe light.. Your brain cries out as it processes everything that is happening, but it keeps shutting itself off - I suppose to stop you panicking during it. The strobe feeling returns. Everything is in collage.

I am certain that home invasion is a thousand times more frightening but your description of it reminds me of how it felt when I was robbed at gunpoint. I remember seeing everything like you say, in collage, and all these years later the only thing I see when I think of it are my hands. My hands opening the drawers, my hands curling around the money, my hands reaching for the bag. Maybe it was because my hands were so important in those few moments as the instruments that would decide my fate? As in, if I made one wrong move with them I was toast? Who knows. It's just the strangest thing how the brain works.

I'll say this straight up, my list of fears is rather lengthy. I wasn't afraid of home invasion until it happened to us. The kind of fear it gives you is not like a phobia, but during it, it is a more severe physical reaction than I ever thought would be possible. You feel ill, very weak, you feel pain in your limbs, wobbly, like you are under a strobe light.. Your brain cries out as it processes everything that is happening, but it keeps shutting itself off - I suppose to stop you panicking during it. The strobe feeling returns. Everything is in collage. When you think of the fear of it happening again when it is over, this is what you think of - the feeling, your reaction to it at the time. It makes you sick. You then move onto something happening to your family. What would you do? You now know you're capable of killing someone. A lot of people 'know' they are capable of killing someone, but learning how that feels? That's a new kettle of fish.

My other fears are like yours - I hate flying, I fear leaving the ground. I hate heights. I cannot climb ladders, can't stand on chairs easily to get things out of tall cupboards. I fear spiders (though not as bad as I once did due to a phobia management course), I now fear snakes because they are everywhere in my backyard, I fear being buried alive. I fear just not being dead and then requiring an autopsy. Because of this I fear anaesthetic.

Haven't you read FYM? Gaol is an unworthy punishment. They get TV!!! They get their meals cooked for them!!!! It's a walk in the goddamn park, man. I don't feel one iota of sympathy for offenders, see home invasion phobia, but fuck me - people who reckon it's some idyllic existence are so far beyond stupidly naive that it's painful to read/hear/listen to.

Your description above was visceral, wow. I am sorry that you had to endure such an episode in your life. I remember that our apartment was robbed when I was a child, but we were not home. I think that I was afraid to go to sleep at night for about a week, but then it faded. I was, what, 5, I think? That's when I started sneaking into my parent's room when they were asleep to leave one of my GI Joes in their room to protect them.

As for reading FYM, why, yes ma'am, I have and still do. You're right, waltz into the right thread at the right time and you'll learn all about why jail just aint so bad at all. Some of those fuckers are so far removed from reality that it blows my mind.

Snakes
Rats
Ghosts
Psycho-killers
Plane crash/Car crash
One of my 26 girlfriends finding out that I cheat on her with 25 other women

I love spiders. :reject:

I'm afraid of whales (not Wales), the ocean/seas, big ships, and rape (one of these things is not like the others...).

This is almost exactly what I'd write. I think whales are beautiful, but really intimidating, even if they're not dangerous. My cousin went to Borneo last year or so, and on two separate occasions she found herself swimming with a shark, and also a whale. I honestly would have been more frightened by the whale.

I feel sort of bad about that, because whales are nice guys. I mean, just look at this one. Look, I'm sure he's a nice chap and all, but where the fuck are his eyes?! It tortures me! And what the hell is going on here?!

Rape is also scary.

Myself dying, that terrifies me. Although who isn't scared of that? And for some reason going blind - I've always been convinced that one day that'll happen to me.

Your description above was visceral, wow. I am sorry that you had to endure such an episode in your life. I remember that our apartment was robbed when I was a child, but we were not home. I think that I was afraid to go to sleep at night for about a week, but then it faded. I was, what, 5, I think? That's when I started sneaking into my parent's room when they were asleep to leave one of my GI Joes in their room to protect them.

You poor kid! Leaving a GI Joe for your parents was so naive and sweet. Glad you guys weren't home. I'd hate to think what it would be like for a 5 year old to experience, plus the obvious danger.

I am certain that home invasion is a thousand times more frightening but your description of it reminds me of how it felt when I was robbed at gunpoint. I remember seeing everything like you say, in collage, and all these years later the only thing I see when I think of it are my hands. My hands opening the drawers, my hands curling around the money, my hands reaching for the bag. Maybe it was because my hands were so important in those few moments as the instruments that would decide my fate? As in, if I made one wrong move with them I was toast? Who knows. It's just the strangest thing how the brain works.

:hug: mins. I know we spoke about this once before, briefly. There's consolation in "at least it wasn't..."

Flying, flying flying. With a bloody big F
and i hate it, it has screwed up so many things i've wanted to do over the last few years. I LOVE to travel and i screwed up a big trip thanks to being afraid and not getting on the plane.

But im not letting it beat me, i've book a trip to europe next feb and if i have to cry for the whole 20 fucking hours i will. If I die, then I die.

:|

I fear introducing myself to people. I could literally stand in a bar all night and not say boo to anyone. But I'm not an introvert, as far as I can tell. I just don't know what the fuck to say to introduce myself, I'm afraid I'll say something cliche or, if I'm drunk or otherwise, just plain dumb. So I stand there, drink, smile, dance, and mull it all over in my head. It's not a phobia per se, but I'm certain it does make me present as super snobby or plain dull. Once I'm introduced to someone or they make the first move, I'll gab on forever. Pretty funny.

Other than that, I have no fears of anything, I'm pretty daring. I'm sometimes over-concerned about the safety of my kids, although I think that's fairly normal.

I do think that being incarcerated (fairly or unfairly) and not being ultimately vindicated would cause me to lose my mind completely. :yikes:

Flying, flying flying. With a bloody big F
and i hate it, it has screwed up so many things i've wanted to do over the last few years. I LOVE to travel and i screwed up a big trip thanks to being afraid and not getting on the plane.

But im not letting it beat me, i've book a trip to europe next feb and if i have to cry for the whole 20 fucking hours i will. If I die, then I die.

:|

:hug: We always fear the worst but it almost never happens!

something terrible happening to my children, I cannot even begin to imagine. After my son was born I actually developed pretty bad anxiety and OCD over this. I could hardly take him outside for short walks because I was sure we'd get hit by a car..attacked by a dog/stranger, someone would try to take him...etc. The anxiety is still there alittle and I'm just getting help now..why I waited so long, I have no idea.

I'm afraid of a home invasion..but not so much now since we bough a peace maker....Make my day:evil: burgler/rapist/child abductor.

planes..I HATE flying, makes me a nervous wreck

being in a car crash and not being able to help my son or get him out of the car, this freaks me out!

Centipedes. I don't mind any other insect(from a distance), but those nasty little bugs are the only thing that would make me shriek and hit the ceiling :no:

failure.

Death doesnt bother me one bit, if it happens it happens.

Other than the usual death and losing my family, I've recently developed a fear of big dogs. A few months ago, my family and I were in my stepdad's shop. His grandmother lives next door. Two of my girls (they were ages 7, 5, and 3 at the time) needed to use the bathroom, so I told them all to go over to grandma's (they do it all the time). They were gone for several minutes, so I stepped out to go check on them. I immediately saw a WILD dog cornering them and growling, getting ready to attack them. I started screaming, and I ran towards them. The dog ran to me and started attacking my leg, and I just froze. All I could do was scream at the kids to get in the house, but they were so scared, they couldn't move. I then saw my stepdad's grandfather - who is so old, he moves at a snail's pace. I was hysterical and screaming at him to please don't let it get my babies (the dog was acting as if he were gonna run back to the kids). He somehow got the dog off of me.

Anyway, that was the one time in my life that I felt sheer terror. Since then, a loud bark is enough to scare me. Even when a familiar big dog comes up to me, I still flinch and move away.

Back
Top Bottom