Things I Hate Part 720 - Hating Full Circle, Twice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my supervisor assigned us all to read this book concerning argumentation and asked our opinions about it. Everyone was generally vague w/ their praise, but I actually had a few legitimate criticisms of the work (it wasn't all bad, but I mentioned how I felt the beginning seemed like pseudo-edifying pedagogy, there were sections I felt were contradictory of other sections, etc.,)... so what is my supervisor's response?

"Well, Ryan, these publishers are Stanford graduates and highly respected in their field. How many books have you published?"

:|

How is that at all relevant to what I had to say? What I really wanted to respond with was how I didn't think ad hominems were mentioned anywhere in the book, so maybe you should utilize a legitimate form of rebuttal.

:rant:

Oh god yes that's so annoying. You cant' have an opinion on something if you don't have done the same thing? What utter bullshite.

I know, right? That comment really pissed me off - which surprised me, 'cause stuff like this doesn't usually get to me.

But even with that egregiously misinformed "Stanford graduate" point, it's not like experts, or acclaimed persons in a particular field, are incapable of a few missteps (listen to Lou Reed's latest w/ Metallica :down:).

gah, the whole thing just really bugged me :angry:

And at least you gave the whole thing thought, you carefully articulated your opinion with arguments and everything. That kind of behaviour should be encouraged, not punished with rudeness. :tsk:

Would they rather have braindead people just agreeing with everything?

I opened a Christmas card today, and it made me cry. I'm missing a few people so much, it actually hurts. :sigh:

And at least you gave the whole thing thought, you carefully articulated your opinion with arguments and everything. That kind of behaviour should be encouraged, not punished with rudeness. :tsk:

Would they rather have braindead people just agreeing with everything?
THANK YOU!

That was also a big thing with me - I actually made a point to annotate certain points throughout the book, and was actually kinda looking forward to the discussion (yep, I'm a big ol' :nerd:). But nope. Apparently all Dr. B wanted was a group of sycophantic drones in the discussion...

If you weren't already on my friend's list, you'd be receiving a notification right now!

:D I know the feeling. I love myself a good argument. We had a Science Philosophy class, together with some... lesser bright students, shall we say. They do a study with a bit of Chemistry, bit of Biology, shit like that. So yeah, that was fun. I have my way with words to get my point across. Needless to say they didn't like me as they always lost any argument. :wink: Teacher asked me to refrain from commenting at a certain point to give them a chance.

I got a 8/10 grade though. :D

Rant warning!

I am sad beyond words. As I have mentioned before, I work at a daycare, and I absolutely love it. Something has been going on that has made me super angry. Some of the children we take care of are in foster families. In some cases, it is clearly for the money. There is this one little boy, who has FAS, that I have rocked to sleep as he screamed, hugged him when he didn't want to leave, and corrected him when he called me mommy (which, because of his life, he calls any woman that treats him nicely.) I adore him. :heart: We find out that his foster family wanted respite, FOR CHRISTMAS!!! :| Who does that??? This 2 year old would have been with a family he doesn't know on the most wonderful day of the year. What happens after being in respite? He screams whenever one of us are out of his sight.

What do we do? We try to see what is needed to become foster parents so one of us staff can foster him for those 2 weeks. :cute: I must say I work with an amazing group of people. Unfortunately, there isn't enough time to do everything needed, but one lady is going to get everything in place so she can take care of him from now on when respite is needed. I would have, but I didn't have an extra bedroom.

As it turns out, I guess the family felt guilty, so they are keeping him for Christmas day. To have a job where you feel that you make a difference every single day is so rewarding! (but that belongs in the love thread:sexywink:)

Rant warning!

I am sad beyond words. As I have mentioned before, I work at a daycare, and I absolutely love it. Something has been going on that has made me super angry. Some of the children we take care of are in foster families. In some cases, it is clearly for the money. There is this one little boy, who has FAS, that I have rocked to sleep as he screamed, hugged him when he didn't want to leave, and corrected him when he called me mommy (which, because of his life, he calls any woman that treats him nicely.) I adore him. :heart: We find out that his foster family wanted respite, FOR CHRISTMAS!!! :| Who does that??? This 2 year old would have been with a family he doesn't know on the most wonderful day of the year. What happens after being in respite? He screams whenever one of us are out of his sight.

What do we do? We try to see what is needed to become foster parents so one of us staff can foster him for those 2 weeks. :cute: I must say I work with an amazing group of people. Unfortunately, there isn't enough time to do everything needed, but one lady is going to get everything in place so she can take care of him from now on when respite is needed. I would have, but I didn't have an extra bedroom.

As it turns out, I guess the family felt guilty, so they are keeping him for Christmas day. To have a job where you feel that you make a difference every single day is so rewarding! (but that belongs in the love thread:sexywink:)

That's so sad when things like that happen to innocent children.

I'm glad he'll be with the family for Christmas.

Can I ask why you do? :wink:

I looked back, and I am not the only person who doesn't. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I guess it depends on how fast I am typing. :shifty:

Now you have made me all paranoid! :lol:

So my supervisor assigned us all to read this book concerning argumentation and asked our opinions about it. Everyone was generally vague w/ their praise, but I actually had a few legitimate criticisms of the work (it wasn't all bad, but I mentioned how I felt the beginning seemed like pseudo-edifying pedagogy, there were sections I felt were contradictory of other sections, etc.,)... so what is my supervisor's response?

"Well, Ryan, these publishers are Stanford graduates and highly respected in their field. How many books have you published?"

:|

How is that at all relevant to what I had to say? What I really wanted to respond with was how I didn't think ad hominems were mentioned anywhere in the book, so maybe you should utilize a legitimate form of rebuttal.

:rant:
i would've just replied with "you smell" and said "well if you're going to resort to these useless attacks of my character, i figured i might as well get it all out in the open".

hee, just kidding. but yeah, that's just not at all helpful and it's just pointless. was the author really well-known? if not, maybe it's a friend of theirs or something, or even if not maybe it's a book they really love and they see criticism of the book as criticism of them. that's totally ridiculous, but some people just take that stuff really personally.

but yeah, if i gave students or whoever a book to read and everyone said yep, they loved it and agreed with it, i'd be shocked. so you all mean to tell me if you could've, you all would've basically written this yourselves? you agree with every word? surely there's something everyone would disagree with. discussion leads to greater understanding of new concepts and ideas rather than just reading and listening to stuff. that's why i hate classes when you're expected to just sit and listen.

I hate driving long distances on interstate highways when there is a horrendous crosswind--by the time I get where I'm going, my hands and arms hurt from holding onto the steering wheel so hard for so long, just to keep the car from getting blown off of the road! :down:

Knowing someone that I care about is going through a rough time, and there is nothing I can do to help.

Getting another devastating phone call. I can't take this anymore. It's like last Christmas on repeat.

:hug: Amy & U2Mama :hug:

:hug: for everyone, too :hug:

Catman - could you have replied to the supervisor asking if he was a graduate of Stanford or was he published as well? :banghead:

I hate that a friend who's been fighting addiction issues is in the midst of a big relapse. I hate that she's in so much pain and that she's causing so much pain to so many people that love her and that she loves. I fear this is going to be a life-long battle for her, with no happy ending. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom