Things I hate part 360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blatant grammar mistakes in a major metropolitan daily newspaper!!! :mad:

1c913ab6.jpg

Nope it's the writer's mistake. They only use sic when they're copying something from a note or facebook or email etc. The writer then quotes him "could have" in the very next sentence.

I know 99% of people won't notice, but please, a little care for the people that do?!

Just had a muscle biopsy done :no:

I hate having sore legs :angry:

:( Muscle biopsy does not sound like fun.

I have to stand up from 9-3 in painting class, or my teacher flips out. And I have an assignment due before I can even get paint. And the supplies are about $500, and then I'll need to get drawing stuff too.

Gahhhh this is not good.

I hate that the right decisions are often the hardest ones to make.
Absolute truth. But you always feel better in the end. Always.

group assignments :scream:

yes. i have been slack and a bit lazy. but that's because, in the grand scheme of things, it's not really a big deal. this bitch that i've been lumped in with has sent me emails that read like a tightarse teacher. i'm certainly not blameless, but fuck. chill out.

again, i'd rather take all the work and just do it myself.
Why is it that group assignments always go horribly wrong? ALWAYS. Ah, memories.

:( Muscle biopsy does not sound like fun.
I knooooow... they take a needle and thrust it into my leg, scraping off tiny tissues of muscle. I almost :faint:

I have to stand up from 9-3 in painting class, or my teacher flips out. And I have an assignment due before I can even get paint. And the supplies are about $500, and then I'll need to get drawing stuff too.

Gahhhh this is not good.
FIVE-HUNDRED DOLLARS?!! Oh no, I'd have to drop that class...

And standing up for 6 hours? For painting? Why can't you guys use a stool or something?? That teacher needs to chill out.

EDIT: And I, too, always hated group assignments :down: Teachers just clump a bunch of people together with different schedules, different ways of doing things, varying degrees of work ethic... and expect things to go well?
I much prefer to do my own work on my time (I lucubrate), without the exasperating need to rely on others for a decent grade.

...nevertheless, gotta do what you gotta do...

Ow. :( And I'd probably have to spend that much for art eventually anyway...gahhh...this is just crazy. Apparently standing improves the creative flow or something. Fuck that, my feet are terrible.

never before have i had professors so dead-set on not letting me use my study break as best as possible. i have three classes this semester, and of course they all have some paper due roughly mid-way through the semester involving research, etc. one is due in a week, no big deal. but the other two aren't due for another month which sounds awesome, buuuuuuut. all i know about them is that i have an essay to write basically about what the class is teaching. for one, i know it's a "word history essay" and for the other, i know a bit more details but the data i need for it won't be compiled until the end of break and we haven't had the tutorial covering the essay yet.

i like being able to slack off, sure, but i like getting essays out of the way when i don't have classes and thus don't have any mini-assignments due throughout the semester, no readings, etc. :grumpy:

I hate that the power at my house has been out since Saturday. You'd think they'd have gotten it fixed by now. My grandma's house has power though, and we live kinda close to each other.

Whatever I do, it's NEVER right. Even when I do what you fucking told me last time, this time it's wrong. Well let me tell you one thing jackass. It's NOT me. It's YOU. :|

I hate it when people ask rude, inappropriate, insensitive or all of the above questions (especially strangers, but I don't quite know what's worse..strangers or not). I want to tell them to f off but I can only do it in my own mind, unfortunately.

It should be a goal of mine to really do it :D

All this homework.
:doh:
Whoever told me art school had less work and that's why I should go, kindly fuck off.

I hate it when people ask rude, inappropriate, insensitive or all of the above questions (especially strangers, but I don't quite know what's worse..strangers or not). I want to tell them to f off but I can only do it in my own mind, unfortunately.

Say it in a nice way! :D

My painting teacher. He's an evil little motherfucker. I want to squish him with a pencil.

Anyway. My reasons for disliking this man, strongly disliking: he wants us to buy the most expensive stuff we can. Or in my case, can't. He also wants us to buy it from in the middle of town, though hauling that stuff back is impossible. I chose the smart thing to do, which is buy stuff online, but the shipping is failing and sending things to my old address...so I'm screwed and he'll yell at me and be more of a prick.

ughhhh.

yessss!! the summer i had two foot surgeries really got me. i had total strangers coming up to me and asking me what happened, like it was any of their business. then they'd let doors slam in front of me - which anyone who's ever been on crutches can tell you are so fun to open.

Wholly online subjects. No classes, no contact hours. Everything done online. Pain in the ass.

This is the assignment that's due monday.

This assignment relates to Topics 5–7: Cultural Studies, The Toronto School and Critical Theory.
Question
The setting – eConference: ‘Media and the War in Iraq’

The setting for this assignment is a virtual academic conference, set up in a learning module in the DSO site for this unit, where scholars will present their work and where you and other conference attendees will form groups to discuss and question the presentations.

The ̳keynote address‘ of the conference is the video documentary Weapons of Mass Deception, provided as part of the unit materials on DSO.

The three topics under study (Topics 5, 6 and 7) will be covered in three ̳sessions‘ of this virtual conference, where you should consider the readings for each topic as ̳conference papers‘ presented by various learned scholars. Therefore, the sessions are:
Session A: Topic 5, Cultural Studies—Reading 5.1, John Fiske (1992) Session B: Topic 6, The Toronto School—Textbook Chapter 12, Glenn Sparks (2009) and
Reading 6.1, Marshall McLuhan (1969)
Session C: Topic 7, Critical Theory—Reading 7.1, Lawrence Grossberg (1991) and Reading 7.2, Kevin Kawamoto (2003).

DSO Discussion
Once you have ̳attended‘ the keynote address and all three sessions (ie watched the video and read the papers), you should sign up for a discussion group in DSO. You should use your group‘s discussion area to examine the issues relating to media effects on audiences and society both raised in and evident in the keynote address, and answer the question ̳how does the keynote address fall or not fall under each of the three paradigms presented in the three sessions?‘

That is:  Cultural Studies: How does the keynote address fall/not fall under the cultural studies
paradigm? Discuss the issues with reference to story telling and master narratives; dominant and subordinate groups; hegemony, polysemy (provide examples); dominant (preferred), negotiated and resistant (oppositional) reading of the video content (you may select one scene from the video for this part of the analysis); social power; the nature and role of ideological social apparatuses. Provide examples to illustrate how these concepts are embedded in the keynote address.

 The Toronto School: How does the keynote address fall/not fall under the Toronto School paradigm? Discuss the issues related to technological determinism; the ̳global village‘; globalisation; use of the mass media by politicians and others and for propaganda. Provide examples to illustrate how these concepts are embedded in the keynote address.

 Critical Theory: How does the keynote address fall/not fall under the Critical Theory paradigm? What is the dominant ideology embedded in the mainstream media coverage of the Iraq War as discussed in the keynote speech and how does it affect audiences and society? What alternative ideologies or explanations can be proposed? Discuss the issues related to war coverage by the mainstream media as infotainment or part of popular culture; the advocacy role of the keynote speaker and others featured in the speech; the political agendas of various social groups embedded in, as well as exposed by, the keynote address; how the new media technologies empower and liberate as well as dis-empower and oppress various powerless groups in society; how these new technologies challenge as well as reinforce the status quo. What abuses of power and violations of rights are discussed in the keynote address? How would media policy-making and regulations affect the media coverage of the Iraq War? Provide examples to illustrate how these concepts are embedded in the keynote address.

Examples of topics you could consider in your discussions are:  mainstream media coverage of the war in Iraq  alternative media coverage of the Iraq war  the media and patriotism after September 11, 2001  media cheerleading of the US involvement in Iraq  mainstream and alternative media coverage of anti-war protests  the Fox News Effect
 embedded journalism  government power and media control  media censorship/self-censorship during the Iraq War  war coverage as infotainment  communication technologies used in the reporting of the Gulf War  misinformation during the Gulf War  Changes to the mainstream media‘s coverage of the war since 2006; within the context
of the 2008 US Presidential campaign; and since President Barack Obama took office in
2009.  Changes to how we receive information about the war with new media technologies
such as social networking sites, blogs, Wikileaks etc. in recent times.

You should use the keynote address and session papers as a starting point for your discussions, but you are free to agree or disagree with the keynote speaker or other presenters, and draw on any other sources of information when arguing a point. However, your arguments need to be supported by evidence, factually accurate, based on official figures and statistics, and valid from the point of view of the discipline of communication studies. For example, the arguments should be based on the basic concept that the media in democratic nations should be free, and journalists have a responsibility to society as members of the fourth estate.

Your ‘e-conference debrief’ paper
Your final task is to write a formal, 1500-word ̳e-conference debrief‘ paper for a journal, analysing the keynote address in terms of the approaches described in the three sessions. You are required to quote 200 words of your own and 200 words of other students‘ postings to DSO as you develop your arguments.

Electronic submission of your ‘e-conference debrief’ paper
Your ̳e-conference debrief‘ paper should be submitted electronically via the assignment submission tool in the e-conference learning tool in the DSO site for this unit by the due date. Your unit chair, with
help from other ̳reviewers‘ (assignment markers), will review your paper and provide ratings (marks and grades) for the following aspects:
 Fulfilment of overall task intent  use of information (including evidence and examples)  application of theories and/or concepts dealt within the unit  structure and organisation of the essay  language use.
You will also be given feedback (marker‘s comments) for improving the paper for publication in the journal.

what is this i dont even :scream:

seriously.

i also hate how apparently no professor here seems to like the essays i write. i'd say maybe there really is some difference as to what they expect in america vs. here, but i had people from australia and nz look at an essay beforehand, as in people who are professors, and they thought it was good. then i get a really bad grade. it's not making me very confident in my essay-writing this semester.

I hate when you miss people that mean so much to you. I'm at a place where I am missing some family that has passed (my grandma in particular, since it is almost her birthday), and friends that for one reason or another I am not close to anymore, and despite my efforts, I just can't fix it. I know it is life, and I am for the most part ok with it, but some days, it just creeps up on you. :sigh:

Hate that I won't have a day off until maybe... Sept. 10th, if I'm lucky. I have to work on the 11th too, so it'll be 8/29-9/10. And OT every night so far, and more to come. Sure the money will be great, but only if I survive. :yawn: :crack: Off to shower, go too an appt., have lunch with my daughter, and then go back to work today. Tomorrow. Monday....

Ironically, we were supposed to have Friday AND Monday off paid. Well, I'll still get paid for the holidays, but I think I'd rather have my sanity.

:sigh:

\vent

The funeral yesterday morning and the party last night were yet another reminder that I'm the only sucker in this world that's incapable of finding someone that actually has any romantic interest in me at all. :sigh:

I hate ironic twist of fate.
My friend's uncle was defibrillated and right after his heart started beating again for a while the device's battery discharged and the rescuers didn't have a spare one :ohmy: He died eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom