Therapy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
its taken me a long time to ask for help, but i am a little hesitant in talking to someone i dont know about my issues.

in general, has it helped you? any good, or negative experiences?

It's brilliant. I think everyone should go to at least one session a year, regardless of need. very healthy process to speak to someone you don't know about stuff troubling you - less regard for consequence so it can be truly therapeutic.

It helped me get through my divorce. And it helped me deal with my son when he was a nasty teen on drugs. Make sure the therapist is a good fit as it sometimes can take seeing a couple of them before you know that one is right for you. The ones I've had have been life-savers. I learned so much about why I felt the emotions I did and what to do with my anxiety and anger. I also learned how to deal with issues that other people have. Not everyone feels they need therapy, but I also feel it can do wonders for us at various points in our lives and that everyone should and could benefit from it. The world might just be a much better place if that were to happen. :up:

I had a kind of anxiety disorder thing. In Year 8, I developed this problem where I couldn't fall asleep at night till 2am in the morning because something would pop into my head like, "I wonder what time the sun rose today" and then I would think about it over and over till it bugged me and I had to write it down to remind myself to check the next morning, though I never would. It was hell, but with my counsellor I no longer have this problem. :) And though I started seeing her for that issue, I still see her now, four years later, for other little things, and just to have a talk. I agree with snowbunny that it can be really good just to go and chat to a counsellor every now and then, even if you have no obvious problems. And remember, you can bring up anything.

If you feel like you need some help, these people are trained to help you and not judge, as long as you find one you like, like everyone else said. I saw one for a few months when I was going through a rough patch and he really helped, mainly listening and offering a few very helpful insights and suggestions. Try it. What's the worst that could happen?

Depends on the therapist and the therapeutical method, but if you find the right one for you, it can really do wonders. It helped me a lot do deal with my complicated youth and family situation. I've been in therapy for years. Progress is often slow, so you need patience. You need to find someone you feel really comfortable with. That's why serious therapists offer a number of "testing" sessions, where you can just check the chemistry between the both of you and have time to decide whether you really want to take a longer therapy with this person. The good thing about therapists is that they are professionally trained to help you out of a crisis or difficult situation and that they are objective, because they are not related to you or personally close to you, thus they are able to look at your problems from a more objective point of view. They can show you ways and perspectives that you won't find out yourself, because you are usually too caught up in your personal stuff. I can definitely recommend therapy, but it's important to find the right therapist. Just do some research or talk to people who are or were in therapy, maybe they can recommend someone.

I was seeing a therapist for about a year and a half, until quite recently to help me deal with anxiety, perfectionism, loyalty issues, and so much more. She taught me how to become a more confident person and cope with my issues through positive thinking, distraction, journaling, exercise, taking time for myself, and appreciating life in general.

Sometimes talking to someone who you don't know and who doesn't know you is the best outlet. :)

well i had my first session last night. it wasnt what i expected, i was pleasantly surprised. i think im going to keep at this.

That's awesome! :up:

I've been to therapy several times over the years, and like everyone's said, it's definitely worthwhile to get an outsider's perspective. The first one I saw did more harm than good, so that put me off of therapy for a while, until I found someone else who was able to truly help me deal with my issues, and not just prescribe medication at the first appointment. I've definitely benefited greatly from her insights and challenges to me, and learned and grew a lot in the few years that I was seeing her on a regular basis.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom