The prospect of marriage scares me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Learn to just nod and smile at nosy relatives. Its never good enough for people with too much time on their hands.

I was one of those girls that was living in a bad home situation and figured a knight in shining armor was my ticket to freedom and a great life! I was barely 21 when we got hitched. Bad! Bad! Bad idea!!!!! :no: You should marry someone when your ready too, because it feels right to you. Because you love them and want to be with them for them. Not what they can do for you or give to you aka kids. I've learned the hard way and I only say this stuff out of love and concern for other young women. Its okay to be single or to wait till your ready. Remember its no one elses life, but your own. And at the end of it, you must be happy with the choices you have made.

I'm not against marriage, just more for making sure its right for you and in your own timing. :heart: I'm lucky that I shacked up with a guy who turned out to really be a good friend and someone I could count on. We've talked over the years and alot recently, cuz we were considering getting divorced and we realize alot of our problems stem from marrying way to young.

As for keeping the love alive, its a ton of work, but like someone else mentioned it becomes more about the little things. I have an auto immune disease that can be a real bitch and he is great about showing compassion and giving me lots of hugs when I don't feel well. Or little things like bringing me home bubble gum that I love that I never got to have when I was a kid. We have what we call "hang out dates", cuz we have two little kids so we can't get out as much. We make a time after the kids go to bed to hang out and talk and do something fun together. The main thing is just making a point to keep them as an important part of your life and not letting things get stale. Marriage is definetly work, but it can be so worth it with the right person. :love:

Wise words Rusty :heart:

I've been with my boyf, coming up 5 years now. We've lived together for 3. I definately want to get married, but is it bad if i don't 100% sure know its to him? I love him so so much, and definately don't want to break up with him, but i know i really dont want to marry him now, and what worries me is, if i dont want to marry him now after almost 5 years....will i ever? :(

You don't have anything to be afraid of.

When you meet the right one, the fears of marriage will go away.

To be replaced by a completely different set of fears...but you won't be afraid of spending the rest of your life with someone, because you will have found the right someone to spend the rest of your life with.

i'm not afraid of marriage at all. but in the same sense i'm not in a huge hurry to do it either. i just want a stable long term loving relationship whether that be marriage or not in the near future.

my friends are starting to get married off now (i'm 27 so that's a fairly reasonable age to be doing so) and even though that doesn't really bother me per se the thought of still being single/in the dating scene in 5-10 years time makes me want to vomit. not that there is anything wrong with that...i just would prefer to be settle down by then. the single life is definately not the life for me. that being said...i am not willing to just settle for anyone just to say that i'm not single anymore. if i wanted to do that i would probably be currently married to my ex. i want to meet the right person for me.

The problem with marriage is that the longer you are with that person, the more likely your interest in that person fades. Marriage is like a job. The longer you are in the same job, the more likely you will get tired of your job and you'll want a new job. If you are not married, you have the option of dumping that person with no problems. But if you are married with kids, then it gets messy if you want to end the marriage.

So what's my point.

I have no fucking idea.

Just don't get married, K?

Windmilllane said:
The problem with marriage is that the longer you are with that person, the more likely your interest in that person fades. Marriage is like a job. The longer you are in the same job, the more likely you will get tired of your job and you'll want a new job. If you are not married, you have the option of dumping that person with no problems. But if you are married with kids, then it gets messy if you want to end the marriage.

Have lots of experience do ya?

Windmilllane said:

Oh honestly...

Windmilllane said:

So what's my point.

I have no fucking idea.

Just don't get married, K?

Um wha?!? :huh:

Imagine being in the same job for one year, then two years, then five years, then 10 years. Pretty soon, you're going to get sick of the same boring job. You then want to look for a new exciting job.

The same thing goes for a marriage. You'll get sick of your spouse, and you're going to want to find a new fling.
So don't get married. Why waste so much money on a wedding. I'd rather spend it on a nice car.

Windmilllane said:
Imagine being in the same job for one year, then two years, then five years, then 10 years. Pretty soon, you're going to get sick of the same boring job. You then want to look for a new exciting job.

Sounds like you need a new career...:|

My husband and I were together for 6 years before we got married (last February). We already had 3 kids together by that stage, so marriage didn't seem scarey at all. We never really looked at marriage as a necessary thing to do, but in the end, we just wanted to legally make that committment to each other.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being a bit scared of marriage. You will come to a point where it will just feel 'right' to get married and you will wonder what you were ever worried about!

dazzlingamy said:
if i dont want to marry him now after almost 5 years....will i ever? :(

I've been with my bf and living with him for 7 years. I know we'll get married one day, but there's no rush and it has nothing to do with being worried we'll never want to. It's just that we don't want to right now.

Also, I know I'm with the right one, and the fear of marriage did not go away. I come from a broken family with 3 marriages to everyone's credit, and to be honest, I'm soured on the idea of marriage. So I wouldn't necessarily agree that being with the"right one" makes fear of marriage go away. :shrug:

Windmilllane said:

The same thing goes for a marriage. You'll get sick of your spouse, and you're going to want to find a new fling.
So don't get married. Why waste so much money on a wedding. I'd rather spend it on a nice car.

Please! You have such a warped sense of reality it's ridiculous.

In any kind of relationship it's all about communication, love, honesty, trust, etc etc.

When you get married you work at it. If you truly love the person you will work at it. It takes alot of work. True, some people aren't meant for marriages but I believe in it and being with one person for the rest of my life. As much as that scares me right now, it's definitely what I want for the future. If you love the person so much and you are willing to do whatever is necessary for the marriage, you will not get sick of your spouse.

I don't even know what I'm saying is registering any effect on you or makes sense to anyone else. Obviously with that damn attitude you have, you won't get anyone and noone will give you a chance any time soon.

**I'm sorry mods, if that sounds harsh. I apologize**

I know what you mean. Marriage is still significative for a lot of people. It's a commitement, signing papers and telling hundred of people you'll be this man's wife until your death.
That's what stress me a bit about marriage. Am I going to be able to spend all the rest of my life with the same man ? What if we get bored of each other ? If I have to get married someday, it won't be before a while.

When I was younger I almost dreamed of marriage... But now it doesn't mean a lot to me, except some kind of chain that I'd clip around my neck, even if I know I'll always be loyal to my boyfriend.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
my wife isn't born yet

seriously, i plan to get married when im 50, to a 20 year old. that way if i die when im 80 then the oldest id ever see her is 50, though that could still be too old :hmm: maybe ill marry a 20 year old when im 60, yeah thats the ticket.

seriously, i plan to get married when im 50, to a 20 year old. that way if i die when im 80 then the oldest id ever see her is 50, though that could still be too old maybe ill marry a 20 year old when im 60, yeah thats the ticket.

Rofl goodluck with that one! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom