The obligatory "i'm so sick of my life" post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
I keep wondering where it all went wrong--where did my happiness go? The last time I can remember being truly happy was when I was 21 years old...soon I'll be 25. I find joy in small things, but lately, I feel like just existing on this planet is a downer.

This year, I hoped that things would turn around but they've only gotten worse: I was kicked out of grad school, I watched my grandfather die a horrible death and I struggle daily dealing with alcoholism in my own house. I used to love my job, but lately being there is also very draining. We're going through a lot of stressful changes right now, everyone is on edge, plus I'm getting sick of my co-workers being catty. I went through high school once--I really can't take it again, but I suppose that's what happens when you work primarily with women. I'm starting to resent even being there.

So I'm stuck--in debt, living at home, looking for a new job, wanting to get far the hell away from here but being terrified of doing that at the same time, trying to decide what to do with a career, if I should go back to school, etc. The only things that seem to bring me joy now are music and going to shows, but being broke gives me less and less of these small pleasures. I feel so worn down, not knowing where to turn. The thought of doing something "ordinary" has become so stifling to me, but at the same time I feel like i have no marketable skills.

Blah blah blah, I feel so self-indulgent and whiny right now. Who else has been in a life rut like this and how in the hell did you get out of it?

Oh? Why did you get kicked out of grad school? That sucks, regardless. I'm still in a rut myself, but I feel like I could possibly maybe be close to getting out of it. :huh:

Melon

Sweetie, it makes me so sad to see you going through this. :( I can relate to a lot of it, and I wish I could tell you how I got out of my rut but truth is, I've still got one foot firmly stuck in it. :slant:

You're an awesome friend, and a wonderful person. You're very talented and if you decide to go back to school you'll kick ass at it, I just know it. If you decide to do something else, you'll kick ass at that as well.

I'm always here for you, girl. Give me a holler if you EVER need anything, 'k? You know I mean it. :hug:

:hug: :hug:

I have been through this and what worked for me was taking a step back and realizing that I could sit around and mope and do nothing about it, or take charge of things and start making some changes. So that is what I did. I also took a big trip which helped immensely....change of scenery is great and travelling by yourself is empowering. Even if you don't have much money or time, sometimes a weekend away can really give you perspective and time to think and see the positive things.

Thinking of you :hug:

melon said:
Oh? Why did you get kicked out of grad school? That sucks, regardless. I'm still in a rut myself, but I feel like I could possibly maybe be close to getting out of it. :huh:

Melon

I like to say I was kicked out cos it makes me feel like a rebel :sexywink: Actually, I had a rough first semester, and one of my classes was only 9 weeks long. I wasn't ready for getting into things so intensely again, plus the one hour commute didn't help either. I was supposed to have a 3.0 in my 'core classes' and I ended gettting a C in the shortened class, thus resulting in my dismissal from the program. Yay me.

I was definitely there in a rut around 23-24. It was the worst. I always knew I was prone to depression, but this was something else. Nothing made me happy. I couldn't even joy going out with friends. I didn't want to see anyone. I stopped wearing makeup and caring about my appearance.

One day I woke up and realized that many things were NOT going to change around me. My panic attacks continued to get worse. My periods of chemical imbalance grew longer. I was lashing out at my boyfriend and I absolutely hated my job. My anorexia came back and I found myself drunk most nights.

The truth is, somethings aren't always going to get better -- but you can. You can remove yourself from some situations if you choose to really push. I realized after months of taking a long, hard look in the mirror that a change of scenery was the only thing that was going to save my life from spiralling completely.

I realize moving might not be in the cards for you, or even a possibility. But if you have the means to move in with a good friend or family member somewhere else, anywhere else away from all that is bringing you down, please, examine that route. I've met you, and I know you are a wonderful, vibrant young lady, you just need to believe that about yourself enough to save yourself.

As for what you want to do with your life, I've always told people to look at things they truly enjoy and go with that. If you love music, consider working as a promoter for a music venue in your city or a radio station. If you love to read, consider a management position at a book store. If you love to delegate, consider pursuing things that might allow you to manage others. Once you think long and hard about things you have always been good at paired with things you love to do, you might just find your answer.

In the meantime, you'll be in my thoughts. Most of you already are anyway. :hug:

HelloAngel said:

I realize moving might not be in the cards for you, or even a possibility. But if you have the means to move in with a good friend or family member somewhere else, anywhere else away from all that is bringing you down, please, examine that route. I've met you, and I know you are a wonderful, vibrant young lady, you just need to believe that about yourself enough to save yourself.

Thanks Carrie...I appreciate that. Right now I am giving some consideration to moving to Honolulu...my aunt and uncle live there, and I could stay with them for a semester or so until I get things straigtened out (that is if I can get accepted to the MLIS program at UH). It's tempting, but at the same time...so damn far away. Maybe that would be good for me though.

:hug: Sorry to hear things have been so difficult lately, LL. Others have offerend sound adivce here- but as far as deciding whether to go to UH or not, why not just apply first and see what happens? That way that option exists for you and you can decide in the meantime.

I hope things start turning up for you soon. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom