The Net Kills U2 Excitement...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Being online a lot visiting sites like this one, going to all the u2 sites regularly kinda gives me u2 burnout.
i remember when i first used to go and use the net while at uni, it was like opening up a whole new world of wwonderful u2ness that id never experienced before. we dont get a lot of u2 news here in australia.
so for me it was actually exciting to get on the net and read wire or go to atu2.com just to see the cool u2 quotes up the top of the page.
now...
its not exciting at all.
Does being this big of a fan mean that we drown ourselves so much that we no longer can be excited by silly things like that?
I see U2 pics all over PLEBA and its like "meh..another pic of bono"
once i would have loved looking at them all!

i know the answer to the problem,...get off the net!
However i think its too late and im wondering if im the only one that thinks in this immature screwy way.
taking u2 for granted...

:slant:

I agree.

I kind of regret even d/l the mp3's of the new songs, and listening to the streams of remixes on U2.com. The last Best Of that came out, I heard Sweetest Thing for the first time on the radio coming home from work. It was such a cool surprise at the end of a mundane day. Now I hear ES on the radio and go, "Oh, yea, heard it." :shrug: I know I'll do the same as soon as "Hands" starts being played, too. Not only have I already heard the song a million times, it's been "picked" to death by other fans.

Last year during the tour it was great, but now I hardly even go into the forums directly related to the band. :scratch: Too much other stuff to explore, I guess.

I'm kinda suffering from U2 burnout.......mainly because now I'm so interested in Ryan's stuff now. U2 has kinda been taking a backseat...I've always take my Ryan CD's with me...even when I just go from my room to the living room or something...cuz I always wanna listen. I have no U2 CD's with me. :reject:

I know how you feel manda...it's like there is no anticipation for the new stuff...no waiting and pacing for the mail to come....in about 4 minutes or less (depending on your modem) you can have the new songs.

Even here...I've been spending less time in EYKIW and no time in pleba (the whole "meh, another pic of bono whoopie :|" )

It happens...once the new material comes out...you'll get unburnt.

ahh Manda, funny you should post this now. i have big-time U2 burnout, however I fear it is more from overplaying the songs for 2 years straight. After all I talk a lot more about things other than U2 than U2 themselves on this board.
I suppose the net can lead to U2 burnout, i just wish internet burn out happened too!! well actually it does, but then you always get sucked back in...
one day....

I am really loving Hands right now though, and I just downloaded Wild Irish Rose which is gorgeous. that is helping a bit. right now I find their early 80s stuff (like UF and before) a lot more intriuging than anything else.

I'm so burned out on U2 that I still haven't even heard Electrical Storm :silent: and don't even care, although I will look for it today when I go pick up the new Tori Amos. Thing is, even though I am suffering from U2 burnout and am listening to everyone but them, I still haven't heard anything new that I love with the passion and intensity that I have for U2 when I'm not in burnout mode.

the only new song i listened to early was "electrical storm." i listened to the new "discoteque" too but got mad with it ( :mad: where are my damn boom chas?).

at any rate ~ u2 burnout is something i suffer from but it's only cos i need some new material to hear. like have the disc in my hands and listen.

:shrug: until then, they remain my favorite band, but i'm still going to listen to other music - if anything it makes me appreciate them more.

Lilly said:
the only new song i listened to early was "electrical storm." i listened to the new "discoteque" too but got mad with it ( :mad: where are my damn boom chas?).

there are no boom chas?! see how out of it I am :reject:
boom cha is why I like the song :mad:

i agree guys.. the net takes away a lot of the excitement. i haven't downloaded any of the remixes so i'll have at least some of the surprise left, but it still isn't the same. I've been going through a bit of a burn-out too, but i think that's due in part to the non-stop U2 craze for over a year, like B_A. i've stopped reading eykiw as much too..

another thing is the whole "picking apart" thing that April mentioned. i hear so much of the crap people spew over and over again about this song and that album, and while i try to ignore it and form my own opinions, sometimes i feel as though that crap rubs off on me and sticks in my mind. so i'll end up thinking about it next time i listen to that song.... see? i don't know if that makes sense. it's not as though i'm letting people ruin U2 for me, it just seems as though i'm involuntarily influenced by it all at times..

i know what you all mean. to be honest, i have been burned out on u2 for over a year now. there music just excite me anymore. dont get me wrong, i really like the two new songs, but after atyclb they just dont hold my interest.

when someone on the radio comes on saying coming up we have the new u2, or whatever, my ears still perk up, but its just blah.

its frustrating really. i want to be into them. i really think that they were a cool band (before 2000) and i just wish i could be obsessed with them again. maybe the new album next year will help with that?

i dont know. i just wish i wasnt burnt out on them anymore.

diamond said:
Overexposure of anything leads to burn-out:

DB9

Well put. I'm sort of a newbie to the whole U2 online community though, so I'm a bit luckier, but I'm sure I'll eventually feel the burnout. I just hope it takes a while to get here. :yes:

I agree with almost everything y'all have written here. I have yet to hear "Hands" or any of the remixes, and I'd like to keep it that way until I purchase the album. Other people's nitpicking of the songs definitely wears off on you. I've been avoiding most of the threads about new songs or new remixes so that I can appreciate them when the time comes in my own way.

I also think my U2 burnout comes from the massive negativity happening in EYKIW lately. I honestly think there is more criticism of the band than usual. I realize that not everyone will like everything, and criticism is okay, but when that's all there is...I've just gotten tired of reading the same crap from the same people about what they hate about U2. Even the threads that start out in praise of X song or X album end up full of people bitching about it. The reason I've always loved coming here is to share excitement and love, not negativity.

Whoa. Guess I needed to get that off my chest!

I've been pretty burnt out on U2 for about a year now. It reached a zenith with the Baltimore concert, and since then just went down down down... but I downloaded the new mixes and songs, and was like meh. But when I loaded all the other songs and played them together in the (originally disappointing) tracklisting for 90-2000, it was really really good. And I really really got into it. But I haven't really listened to any U2 albums but Zooropa and once or twice AB for the last year. So hearing all this stuff was like hearing it for the first time, and the flow is really good, despite the long string of slow-mid-tempo songs in the middle. One-Miss Sarajevo-Stay is mindblowing. And I never liked the idea of Staring-Numb-First Time to end the album. But the new mix of Numb has so much more energy that it works. I'm really excited about the new best of, and I must say it feels REALLY good to be in love with U2 again. Peace.

I get sick of this place and of all the other stuff that goes with loving their music, but not the music itself. Probably like the rest of you i have U2 net, U2 news, U2 analysis, collecting U2 etc etc etc burnout.
I could never get sick of the music though - really thats what it's all about.

I have the new "Best Of" on order from Amazon, and am debating getting another copy at Best Buy the date of release. I can always give the other copy as a Christmas gift or some such.

But when the pictures inside the album were posted on the Net...I looked at them, liked some better than others, but also wished I hadn't seen them at all. That surprise, that initial first look at the photos once I opened the CD...that thrill is gone.

When U2 was between albums, I used to listen to "Achtung Baby" and not really think about them much until the next record came out. Now that I've discovered the wonders of U2 on the Internet, well...I'm at this site a few times a day and check out a couple of other sites on a daily basis. And there have been times lately that too much is quite enough, thank you!

Still, when I see a great new picture, or watch Bono on "Oprah," or see the "Electrical Storm" video, I get happy all over again. And I am glad sites like Interference exist, because it reassures me that I am not alone in being so very fond of this band.

Diane

I think it's U2 overkill. It's true. At one point, I would have been THRILLED beyond thrilled to see U2 on TV, hear an interview, or for the love of god, just listen to them on the radio.

But now, it's like: okay, been there, heard that.

You know its bad when "One," your fav song, loses it's hold on you.

I think I need to go somewhere and 'dream it all up again.'

Back
Top Bottom