The 'dont you hate it when...' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't you hate it when the cable company says "we'll be there between 1-5pm" essentially holding you hostage for the entire afternoon only to have them show up at 4:45 and leave in 10 minutes. :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

My purpose in life is to bring down the entire cable industry and victory will be mine!!!

tpsglick2424 said:
Don't you hate it when people complain about the band KISS and how they hate them..KISS is the best band in the world! (besides U2) :rockon:

Yet they could make money out of anything..:wink:

have you seen the reality show Family Jewels with gene simmons? i love that show!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I have this weird thing, and this is no offense to you Sicy it just reminded me, I hate it when adults use the word poop, unless they are in front of kids.

Do you prefer crap or shit? :wink:

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
I hate it when people who are doing customer service work are engaged in private, personal stuff when they're supposed to be working: like shirking their duties to talk to friends on the phone, or making out with their boyfriend/girlfriend. For that matter, it bugs me when they're clearly not busy and are just standing around but still don't make an effort to talk to you. Mostly, it bugs me when people don't do their job. I don't hate, however, customer service reps who are doing their job by serving customers. It bugs me to no end when people who clearly haven't worked a service job in their life get irritated with servers over stupid, petty nonsense, and chew them out publicly even though they're only making themselves look silly. Suprise, suprise, giving attention to customers is what service people do, and if a server is absorbed with providing a quality customer service experience to one customer, don't interrupt or get irritated just because they aren't addressing you: the world will keep turning and, let's face it, you probably would have wasted your extra 2 minutes anyway.

As a bartender, if anyone on the other side of the bar snaps their fingers at me, waves, shouts at me, or otherwise cuts line, I automatically serve them last. I don't care if you're in a hurry: you wait your turn like everyone else. You don't want to be smalltalked? Great, I don't want to talk to you either, but I do oblige those that do want to chat because that's part of my job. Be pushy all you like, threaten not to tip, try to bribe me, threaten to talk to my manager, I don't care. First, the presumption that you're more important than everyone else is wrong. Second, I don't want your gratuities if you're a douchebag (although, in my experience, the rude customers aren't satisfied even if you break your back for them, and rarely if ever tip anyway). Not only do I not care if you didn't have a good time, I don't want you to come back to my bar if you're a dick because the other customers don't appreciate your behaviour, and if I shirk the good customers to serve the bad ones it reflects badly on me. People going out to have a good time don't want to be surrounded by pushy assholes, they go out to get away from the stresses of their lives, not to have self-important wankers inconveniencing them by disrupting service. I'd rather leave one person inconvenienced than inconvenience the whole group. You may leave unhappy and tell 10 of your friends that my bar sucks, but all the customers I've taken the time to serve properly are going to go off and tell a few of their friends how awesome it was, and at the end of the day I get more good press from doing a good job than I do leaving one or two people unhappy.
:drool: I agree with everything you say here.

And I'd like to add...
Don't you hate it when you want to elaborate in a post but you have to go back to work? :grumpy:

I hate it when.....

* ...People don't use their blinkers because they think no one's watching.

* ...People who are going to turn right, pull forward blocking the crosswalk without looking first, even though the pedestrian has the right of way.

* ...People have these astonishingly unrealistic expectations of our levels of service (at work). Like the woman who came in and badmouthed three different people because we wouldn't give her administrative rights to use our lab computers. This woman does not work here, is not a student here, and was not attending an event here, mind you.

* ...My mom nags me for things I've already done.

* ...Friends/housemates complain that their parents didn't give them their monthly allowance on time and ask me to cover their rent/utilities. These are 22 year olds we're talking about and have never so much as paid their own cell phone bill.

Don't you hate it when you see a pregnant girl or someone handicapped on the bus or train and nobody offers a seat to her?? Pisses me off! At least have the decency to offer your seat!

Don't you hate it when you haven't heard from a friend in a while and when she decides to call she's only calling because she's broke and she needs some money!!?? :happy: :censored:

dont you hate it when you call customer service for whatever it is you need and you get placed on hold for the longest time with some lame crappy music that keeps playing over and over again?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I hate it when.....

* ...People don't use their blinkers because they think no one's watching.

In CA, its OK to drive on and on with your blinker a blinking and NOT turning yet he can get a ticket for turning WITHOUT blinking....(used layman's terms for the kids....!)

Don't you hate it when something wrong happens with your phone and you go to the phone store or call the phone place they put you on hold for 2 hours then they dont end up helping you a single bit..:mad:

night_and_day66 said:

Normally i would agree with you.
But yes, im going to get fucking irritated when i've been standing in line
for 7 mins and happen to have other things to do.
In my case it was 1 minute out of my life, waiting for this embarrassed little girl to dance... big deal,
and what could i possibly do with that minute?... its the principle of it.
You use a key word here though...ABSORBED...its rude to be so ABSORBED with one customer when 6 others are waiting for a service they are to provide to us as well.
When a transaction (lets just use this particular action) is done, they have fulfilled that customers need, the business is done.
Move it along.
I am there for one thing and one thing only...i dont need to be wined and dined ....i want to get in and get out and get it done.
Theres a fine line between them being grateful for my patronage and thanking me with a smile and quick service
(which will keep me coming back) and what that particular teller was attempting.
Maybe i wouldnt have been as irritated if she wasnt so oblivious to others waiting.

And btw, i dont know if your reply was directed to me, but i've been in customer care/service, most of my life.
I waitressed and bartended also.
Friendliness and true care is crucial to satisfaction and return customers...
but im not going to spend more time then necessary AFTER the 'job' is done and ignore or lower the quality and quantity of time
when others are WAITING for the service i am to provide to them as well.

This principle you suggest is problematic, I believe. You want good service, but the service your suggesting is purely mechanical. I agree with your principle: noone likes having their time wasted. However, the number of the people in a bank fluctuate throughout the course of the day, there are busy times (from open-10am, over lunch from 11:30-1pm, and then around 4:30-6:30 when everyone gets finished work) and there are lulls. It isn't efficient or practical to keep one service person per customer in the store, and invariably there are times when there's 20 people in line for 15 minutes despite all 12 tellers being open. If you're waiting that long anyway, what's a couple more minutes? If people wanted to do their banking as quickly as possible, most financial institutions allow you to do nearly all types of transactions at an automated machine, by drop-off envelope, over the phone, or online. If you (3rd person plural: generalization for anyone, not you in particular) go in to talk to a teller, it is likely you're (3rd p.pl) doing so because you want the chat that goes along with it, or alternatively you're not comfortable with technology (or, a third possibility: your business includes opening a new account/closing an account or negotiating an interest rate -- and in those cases, you're going to be in there for a while anyway, so 1 minute becomes irrelevant). That said, there are options available which don't require exasperation over someone doing their job. When I go into the bank, I like smiles and chatter, so I do most of my banking through a teller except when I'm quickly withdrawing cash. My girlfriend, who doesn't care for waiting in line and dealing with people, uses automated banking services 99% of the time.

Now, maybe she was too chatty, and was absorbed in one customer when she should have been keeping things moving. It just seems to me that while she doesn't have to talk to people once the transaction is over, that doing so seems like more of a genuine effort at being friendly. Since you have retail/service experience (let it be known, my response was more with the theme of the thread than an accusation, I don't know you and have no reason to make problems with you so it doesn't make sense that I'd start some) you know as well as I or anyone else here how phony retailers and service personelle can be. Most retail chains like The Gap literally have training courses that teach you how to bullshit being nice to customers. It's hard to find a 'have a nice day' that ever sounds legitimate coming from someone in a service uniform. I'd rather someone go the extra mile to make me feel like they're not just running through the motions than have someone sloughing off the same dry dialogues. Inconvenient? Maybe. Good customer service? Certainly. Now, the first thing he/she probably should have said to you was 'sorry to keep you waiting, how may I help you?' to at least have acknowledged that you were indeed waiting. Nobody's perfect. :shrug:

Anyway, no hard feelings, just thought I'd give you my thoughts just in case you felt I wasn't being fair.

Cheers.

I really hate it when people don't seem to grasp the concepts of basic internet research. like, they just don't get how to google something. :der: my mother can never find anything online because she will type in the exact question she wants to know the answer to, with unnecessary words and leaving out good key words that are helpful to the search. Then she gets mad and claims that there's no info online and is amazed when I find what she wants in 2 seconds.

I don't know why it bugs me, but it just does. It's not that hard. :angry:

Don't you hate it when... you are trying to tell someone something, and you never get to finish your thought and they seem to talk over your point and never hear a word you've said? And they assume they are right about what you were thinking or going to say, but they are totally wrong? :mad:

Don't you hate it when... you have computer issues and can't get online and you call for help, and the recorded message tries to direct you to websites to find help? :mad:

Buzz words & phrases are the fruit cake of human interaction. :grumpy:

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:

If people wanted to do their banking as quickly as possible, most financial institutions allow you to do nearly all types of transactions at an automated machine, by drop-off envelope, over the phone, or online. If you (3rd person plural: generalization for anyone, not you in particular) go in to talk to a teller, it is likely you're (3rd p.pl) doing so because you want the chat that goes along with it, or alternatively you're not comfortable with technology (or, a third possibility: your business includes opening a new account/closing an account or negotiating an interest rate -- and in those cases, you're going to be in there for a while anyway, so 1 minute becomes irrelevant). That said, there are options available which don't require exasperation over someone doing their job. When I go into the bank, I like smiles and chatter, so I do most of my banking through a teller except when I'm quickly withdrawing cash. My girlfriend, who doesn't care for waiting in line and dealing with people, uses automated banking services 99% of the time.

Since you have retail/service experience (let it be known, my response was more with the theme of the thread than an accusation, I don't know you and have no reason to make problems with you so it doesn't make sense that I'd start some)

Anyway, no hard feelings, just thought I'd give you my thoughts just in case you felt I wasn't being fair.

Cheers.

No hard feelings taken.
In a nutshell, i was depositing money into my daughters account.
We live an hour apart, i didnt have her card to use the ATM, otherwise i would have.
Like i said i before, i agree with your mentality concerning customer service...
my son is autistic and legally blind, so i deal with SSI and similar agencies on a regular basis.
There is always hours of waiting but when its my turn,
i am taken care of in such a wonderful and caring manner, that i dont mind the wait.
And i ALWAYS, ALWAYS thank such people with a profuse amount of gratitude.
I am the type of person that will ask to see the manager when i feel a person has gone out of their way to provide excellent service.
That even includes the girl at the pizza counter.
I usually dont have a lot of money to tip as well as id like to, but i hope my comments to a manager or higher up will result in praise and a possible raise for that person.

Thank you for your reply.

Because I was agreeing that I was mad and I felt for them using smiles...A picture is woth 1000 words but only 6 for you:wink:

Don't you hate it when someone tries to be cool or be in the 'it' group and pops up everywhere adding nothing to the conversion or thread. Then take something from a post in a completely different part of the site and randomly use it. And have an avatar that is digusting and disrespectful to others. I imagine this happens on every message board and forum.
:shrug: What can you do? :shrug:

shaynar said:
Don't you hate it when you want to tell a story to a friend and just as you begin she finds a way to make a tangent into a 'similar' story about herself, totally changing the conversation. And when it's all over all you've talked about is her when at first all you wanted to do was tell your friend a story and ask her advice?

Oh, yeah, this really sucks, and OMG, I know way too many who does this...

Back
Top Bottom