The Crucible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
A couple of big things are coming into focus this week.

In a couple of hours I will go pick up my dad and take him to court for a conservatorship hearing. His mental state can change by the hour - I just hope the hearing goes smoothly and we don't need further hearings to complete this action.

Tomorrow, I fly to Seattle for dinner. The General Counsel of the company I've been interviewing wants to meet tomorrow night. In 5+ years with my current company, I've never had the opportunity to speak with the General Counsel.

After an early AM flight back on Wednesday, I hope to move my dad to a care facility.

Sounds like a nerve wracking couple of days for you.

I'll keep you (and your dad) in my thoughts.

:hug: Good luck with both. Sounds like a highly stressful week all around--hope the business meeting, at least, will prove gratifying. I'm getting the picture from your posts that conservatorship takes an excruciatingly long time to implement.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. The conservatorship hearing went very smoothly. My dad consented to the process, so the hearing only lasted a couple of minutes.

He is very ready to move out of his house (he lives alone) and wants to be around other people. Hopefully, I can move him Wednesday.

VintagePunk said:
Is your dad fully aware of what the hearing entails?

I spent quite some time explaining the conservatorship to him.

The biggest concern was that the County, through Adult Protective Services, could impliment their own conservatorship if my dad was found lost, wandering or otherwise impaired. If the County establishes a conservatorship, the family has no say in what happens. At least now we can help make the best choices for him.

It is, however, an odd paradox in the law. A person can consent to have someone make decisions for them because they do not have the capacity to make decisions for themselves. That was the first question I had for my attorney.

nbcrusader said:

I spent quite some time explaining the conservatorship to him.

The biggest concern was that the County, through Adult Protective Services, could impliment their own conservatorship if my dad was found lost, wandering or otherwise impaired. If the County establishes a conservatorship, the family has no say in what happens. At least now we can help make the best choices for him.

It is, however, an odd paradox in the law. A person can consent to have someone make decisions for them because they do not have the capacity to make decisions for themselves. That was the first question I had for my attorney.

I'm very happy to hear that things went relatively well for both you and your dad.

I'm not sure if this is the exact equivalent of a conservatorship, but here in Canada, people can appoint others to act as their Power of Attorney, making decisions for them, either in a financial or health capacity, or both. Fortunately for my family, my mom made provisions for this several years ago, so that when the time comes, I don't have to be faced with court hearings.

I hope the move goes smoothly, and that your dad adjusts well. Hopefully, he'll enjoy the companionship and stimulation of having others nearby, after living alone for so long. :)

Thank you all again.

Last night's dinner went very well. Almost three hours with the General Counsel and the attorney who would be my boss.

To be sure, your Father is very proud of his son.......

Its not easy handling matters that change the lifestyles of others especially when its a parent, my thoughts based on what happened to the BAW family last year... :|

Thank you all for the continued thoughts and prayers.

Tomorrow, I am planning on moving my dad to the care facility. Being around other people will be the best thing for him. I just got back from finalizing his room - all clean, furniture in place and some fun treats for him.

Also, on the job front, the dinner went very well. The General Counsel is an amazing lady and I can tell why everyone loves working for her. I am scheduled to meet with the business client on Monday afternoon. Hopefully, an offer will come soon thereafter.

I will keep your dad's peaceful transition and comfort in my prayers.

:up: Sounds like you've made it to the final stage of the search process then. Best of luck on Monday!

I moved my dad this morning. It went very smoothly - he is looking forward to meeting new people, engaging in group activities and walking through the neighborhood.

Thank you all again for your prayers.

What a change a couple of weeks make!

I just spoke with the director at the care facility about my dad. He had a good weekend there and today we will get him infront of the right doctor (after cleaning up the insurance matters).

My last day at my current job is this Friday. I sent out a Farwell email to a number of people I've worked with over the last few years. I've been humbled by the tide of good luck and best wishes responses.

I start my new job on the following Friday. I will be gone for about 5 weeks in the Seattle area for training.

Thank you all again! :heart:

Back
Top Bottom