That's it, I'm re-gifting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
Does it say something unseemly about you if you participate in such an act?

What if you have received certain kickbacks from work that you are not planning on using but other people would like? Say....iTunes gift cards? I'm thinking of re-gifting some of them to people for Christmas instead of hanging on to them. But if you set a certain sum for Christmas gift in advance (like say $50/person) is it then cheating if you are giving them something that is technically worth $ but you haven't expended any?

Should I hang my head in shame? :shifty:

Absolutely not. Some of our incentives at work do not appeal to everyone so I often mention how people they know would really like these things as gifts instead. I think half my staff now do their Christmas Shopping through our incentive program. Even if it's not an incentive you still had to be at work to receive it. My Dad often gives me stuff he gets from his clients. If it's useful to me I don't care how he got it and am happy to have it :shrug:

Don't worry about how much you spent or didn't spend. Isn't the point that you saw something that reminded you of that person, or that you thought they'd like and you cared enough to pass it on? My sister just sent me a pair of hand-me-down black leather cowboy boots with red flames on them and they're my new favorite wardrobe item (so tacky they're amazing). As the saying goes, it's the thought that counts.

zuropa_fit said:
Don't worry about how much you spent or didn't spend. Isn't the point that you saw something that reminded you of that person, or that you thought they'd like and you cared enough to pass it on?

Totally agree. If you're not going to use and they will, pass it on!

Think of it as recycling instead of regifting and your conscience will be clear. :wink:

Last year, my uncle gave me a DVD/VCR combo, not for Christmas, but he won it from something and didn't want it. We only have one TV, so I re-gifted it to my sis who was starting college. The same uncle ordered his son a (RED) ipod Nano, but my bratty cousin didn't want that color, so it got re-gifted to my brother. My uncle was concerned my bro would not like the color. Um, hello?! It's a FREE iPod!! One year Phil got a ton of Starbucks gift cards from his gymnastics pupils and we gave some to his parents, who live for Starbucks.

So yeah, I'm ALL for re-gifting, as long as it's not a gift you were given by the receiver, lol :wink:

Last edited:
i don't think there's anything wrong with regifting necessarily. i can't think of any bad gifts i've been given off the top of my head, but sometimes i get incentives at work and it's stuff i can't use. most recently i got a gift certificate for world market. i turned around and gave it to my mom.

Personally I would rather get regifted iTunes gift cards from my family even if they didn't technically pay for them than the crap I don't want that they usually end up buying me.

I've gotten the same kind of gift basket 3 Christmas' in a row from a former supervisor, from Bath & Body Works. while I do love the sweet pea scent, I literally can't use it all. so I've definitely passed those along or taken the basket apart and given people individual items from it. I figure if someone else can use it, I'm happy to give it to them. I do the same for candles...I asked for candles one year and I think I ended up with enough to require a warehouse. :lol: I have a "clearance" sale every few months.

I have a box I keep for emergency gifts. When I see things on sale or get things I won't use I put them in this box. This way when I need a hostess gift or an emergency birthday gift etc. I have some things there. I also gave some gift bags and tissue from the dollar store there to for wrapping.

iTunes cards are always nice tucked into another gift as well!

I see nothing wrong with regifting, especially gift cards!

I don't celebrate Christmas but my mom and I have always both loved participating in Secret Santa stuff at work. Most of my coworkers were good about not buying anything for me that had to do with Christmas. Some were even thoughful enough to buy Hanukkah stuff for me. Not the case with my mom at all. She's worked for a catholic university for at least 15 years. In that time, hardly anyone has figured out that Hanukkah and Christmas are not the same thing. So she now has a box of useless Christmas stuff. Useless to us at least. She can't regift the stuff at work but I've regifted plenty of her stuff to coworkers and friends in the past. She's done the same with the few items I've received. This year, I'm a full time student again. My classmates have been totally awesome this week with buying me Hanukkah gifts. A lot of them have been really unexpected. I can't afford to buy everyone gifts so I'm going to have to depend on my mom's Christmas box this year for a few people.

I have re-gifted.......but oddly i would be annoyed/upset if someone re-gifted something i gave them......so yes re-gift...just make sure the giver does not know you have re-gifted their gift.

:hmm: Am trying to decide if it would be tacky to re-gift a refurb ipod shuffle for a work Christmas party. Most of my coworkers would like a small music player and I've never even opened it. I think I'm more concerned about the box that says "refurbished" all over it. :shrug:

I love re-gifting:up: It runs in my family.
My Grandma used to re-gift all the time. She'd tell people she'd open it later, then take the tag off and ta-dah, instant present all wrapped up. The only downside was that she had no idea what the presents were and who gave them to her. We would get our present back sometimes without her knowing. My Mum once received some daggy hankies with Esme embroidered on them. . . . . . Mums' name is Marilyn . :lmao:

mysterious_jen said:
regifting rocks . i bloody hate christmas so any shit i can pass on to someone else and not pay for is a bonus.

Sleigh Bells ring, are you listening......wow.

I don't re-gift, per se.

What I will do is, if I get something I cannot use or do not want, but know someone else would appreciate it, I pass it on to them, but not as a gift from me....I just give it to them at some point.

But I'll not actually give someone something that was intended for me and present it as an actual holiday or birthday gift.

Liesje said:
Last year, my uncle gave me a DVD/VCR combo, not for Christmas, but he won it from something and didn't want it. We only have one TV, so I re-gifted it to my sis who was starting college. The same uncle ordered his son a (RED) ipod Nano, but my bratty cousin didn't want that color, so it got re-gifted to my brother. My uncle was concerned my bro would not like the color. Um, hello?! It's a FREE iPod!! .

Am lucky to get aknowleged by my uncle, nevermind a gift!

I have absolutely NO problem with re-gifting, why shouldn't somebody else get some enjoyment out of what you don't want or can't use???

Recycling is good, and i just see this as another way of recycling...so um...you're saving the planet too:huh:

Last edited:
neutral said:
:hmm: Am trying to decide if it would be tacky to re-gift a refurb ipod shuffle for a work Christmas party. Most of my coworkers would like a small music player and I've never even opened it. I think I'm more concerned about the box that says "refurbished" all over it. :shrug:

Dude. You could send it to me. I wouldn't give a rat's left buttcheek about the 'refurbished' part. It's an iPod.

Back
Top Bottom