that crush thing again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travu2

The Fly
I still really want to know who it was that sent me those emails through the "crush" webistes.

I posted something about this in the lemonade stand a while ago. Basically, someone just used 2 services, crushlink.com and hugecrush.com, to anonymously let me know they have a crush on me. In that other post, I said I wasn't going to use the sites to figure out who it was. Well, the pressure was too great
tongue.gif
so I tried to figure out who it was.
With crushlink.com, I had to enter the email addresses of the people who I thought it might be in order to get clues. I had to enter 3 addresses for the first clue and then 5 addresses for every clue after that. I know exactly 0 addresses of people who I thought it might be. Also, whatever addresses you enter will also get an email saying that someone has a crush on them, so I decided to just create about 18 email addresses of my own and use those. I got some clues, but they're just things like how many letters are in the person's first name.
After the 3rd clue, I got to a point where I had to fill out this form from one of the company's sponsors in order to get another clue. I did it, but then it wouldn't let me go any further. I tried it a second time with the same result, so that was a dead end.

With hugecrush.com, you can send in $5.00 and they tell you who the crush is. It turns out you also have to enter 2 email addresses. So I entered 2 of the email addresses I had created, and then I sent them five bucks. It then told me my crush was one of the email addresses I had just entered! One of my own addresses that I had recently created! I sent them an email explaining what happened and asking if I could get a refund, but I have never received a response.

Since people receive an email even if they are just a guess from someone else, I suppose that could be what happened here; someone received one of these emails and then entered my address as a guess. I don't think that's very likely though, because I got these emails from 2 different websites within a short period of time, and I don't interact with people online nearly often enough for anyone to think that I have a crush on them.

Anyway, if that person is reading this I would really like to know who you are.
smile.gif

------------------
"Sweetheart, you're so cruel."

[This message has been edited by travu2 (edited 11-17-2001).]

I know what you mean. I thought the same thing too, but someone who I feel I can definitely trust told me they had experience with one of those sites and it turned out to be legitimate. I also looked them over pretty thoroughly before using them, and they do seem legit.. but I guess you never know.

Do you get them from those same websites, Amanda? Blaaaaaaahhh... I feel stupid.

Yeah, Judge Judy would put 'em in their place.

*shakes fist in the air*
mad.gif

I have gotten 2 from crushlink in the past. I checked out the site and thought they must be crazy! Me guessing who sent it! bah yeah right! I'm not sure if it's a scam... it could be legit... but it sure is annoying! So yeah I know how you're feeling somewhat travu2. That site should be destroyed!
biggrin.gif

I only get them from crushlink
Im sure its some mean person trying to mess with my head.
But I do get them a fair bit. Ive never heard of the other one.
I just always delete it.

It prolly could be legit though trav. you need to get a mate to help you. Send your friend one and then they can type in your email and see what happens. You never know..

It's not always a scam because I received one of those once and the girl who sent it actually admitted it.

Yeah, DrTeeth, you were the guy I was referring to when I said "someone I can definitely trust," so I know that particular site is real. I do believe you. I just don't know why neither site would let me find out who it was after I got passed a certain point.

It's really no big deal though. I'm just gonna forget about it, but I'll always wonder who it was.

trav...

I would ignore it and not think about it. Likely, no one used those sites to say that they had a crush on you. Likely, your e-mail address got into a spam list, which can just happen from maliciously crafted code from sites you visit. My firewall caught it once, but couldn't block it, and, the next day, I got a spam e-mail. Luckily, I never got any more after that, and, whatever you do, don't open the spam mail if your e-mail client reads HTML mail, because, often, they put in code that sends the sender information that you exist and you indeed opened this mail, and they will send you more. Luckily, I use a telnet client for my mail. CrushLink and HugeCrush could also have likely sold their information to each other, which is a common practice actually in business, whereas you originally got in their system from some malicious coding. So, possibly, no one posted that they had a crush on you via these sites.

Honestly, if someone does have a crush on you, are they really worth it if they use the two most corrupt and cryptic dot-coms I can think of? Ignore it, and you'll be better off.
smile.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Oh and regarding that HugeCrush.com scam, I would turn it in to both the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and the attorney general.

Here's a little info I dug up on who hosts this site:

Crystaltech WebHosting Inc. (NETBLK-CRYSTALTECH-BLK-1)
2432 W. Peoria Ave. Suite 1261
PHX AZ 85029
US

Netname: CRYSTALTECH-BLK-1
Netblock: 216.119.64.0 - 216.119.127.255
Maintainer: CRTW

Coordinator:
Margalit, Tal (TM1063-ARIN) tuzzanti@crystaltech.com
602-371-0686

Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

WEBTERMINATOR1.CRYSTALTECH.COM 207.254.115.2
WEBTERMINATOR2.CRYSTALTECH.COM 207.254.115.3

ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

Record last updated on 13-Jun-2001.
Database last updated on 18-Nov-2001 19:53:59 EDT.

Happy battles!

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Thank you, melon. I really appreciate you getting that info for me.
smile.gif

Yeah, I think I will report that hugecrush site. It's only 5.00, but this sort of thing is pretty low. If enough people report it, then maybe something will be done. I'm just gonna leave it alone after that, though.

------------------
"Have you seen her come around?
My crush.. with eyeliner."
rem

Back
Top Bottom