Tainted Vision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripThruUreWires

I serve MacPhisto
So, um, yeah, it turns out my eyes aren't in as good shape as I believed them to be. My vision has become increasingly wonky over the years, and so my loved ones recently staged an intervention forcing me to finally do something about it. I suppose they're sick and tired of seeing my nose pressed up against print and computer screens; even I'm starting to feel "out of control", which I suppose is why I'm willing to put aside my pride and acknowledge that I have a problem *cue The Fray's "How to Save a Life"*.

I'm too damn lazy to deal with contact lenses on a daily basis, so I'm opting for frames. However, I'm pretty clueless about what type of frames might actually look good on me (based on my age, face shape, hair style, coloring, etc.). Not to mention, I'm oblivious to trends in general. Without any outside input, I'll probably end up with a pair like this one:

glasses.jpg

:nerd:

A little help, please. Any suggestions? Recommendations? Words of wisdom? Is there a life coach amongst us? :sexywink::help:

I've worn glasses for the last 37 years and I just go out to the optician's section of the eye doctor's office and spend 30 minutes of so trying on frames. Sure, I have get really really close to the mirror to see what the hell they look like, but I like to think I end up with a pair that makes me look foxy every time.

I love glasses . . . admittedly I don't actually need any yet (but my time will come I know it . . . ) and I've often thought about just buying the frames just because there are so many pretty ones out there . . .. have you got a trusted buddy you can take?

Good luck . . . pst . . .once you've found some would love to see 'em . . . . post a piccie of em here :pray:

:wave:

The people I go to for my glasses are very helpful and honest when you pick out glasses. :)

They usually tell you if they look odd on you, and you can just go in and look, and try them on, even come back another day to get them. Dont even have to buy them from the place you got tested. (in the UK anyway)

I use my glasses 60% to see better, 40% to hide my face when I cant be arsed putting makeup on. :up:

It might be worth you looking on the net for a design you have in mind before you go in, but be aware, what you like the look of may not necessaraly suit you. ;)

I have contacts, but when I wear my glasses people say that I look cute.

Definitely take the advice of the sales people. They look for things that us normal folk have no idea about.
When I first had my glasses I thought that the screens at the movies had been updated....nope.....I could just see them clearly :reject:

I have contacts, but also wear frames to bed, in the morning, when I'm sick, etc. My eyes worsen every year (sometimes I change prescriptions twice a year). Last time I got new glasses as well since my others were 3 prescriptions behind. My only criteria was that they did not look like Sarah Palin!

I agree with Martha, just go into the office and try everything on. I sort of knew what I wanted, but I still tried on almost 25 different pairs of the same type, some looked horrible and some were great.

These are pretty similar. They look kinda nerdy in the pic but I like them! They are Calvin Klein dark brown tortoiseshell with pink on the inside (I chose the pink ones b/c they give my skin more color).
http://www.daisyeyewear.com/syssite/home/shop/1/pic_upload/Calvin_Klein_6001_54-16-135_C3_BLK-2.jpg

I've always been an admirer of a woman in glasses...you, my dear, will look fantastic...:wink:

Gee, thanks. :flirt:

Good luck . . . pst . . .once you've found some would love to see 'em . . . . post a piccie of em here :pray:

:wave:

Sure, I'll post a pic here as soon as I get the chance :)

It might be worth you looking on the net for a design you have in mind before you go in, but be aware, what you like the look of may not necessaraly suit you. ;)

Yeah, I've been scouring the net, checking out different styles. I found several prospective designs, but, like you said, I'm not sure as to whether they'll look good on me. I do like several of the plastic frames. In terms of color, I like the tortoiseshell and brown hues.

When I first had my glasses I thought that the screens at the movies had been updated....nope.....I could just see them clearly :reject:

:lol: I'm sort of nervous about what I'll be able to see with a pair of glasses on :uhoh: :wink:

I have contacts, but when I wear my glasses people say that I look cute.

I wouldn't mind that, as long as it didn't involve cheek pinching :grumpy:

I have contacts, but also wear frames to bed, in the morning, when I'm sick, etc. My eyes worsen every year (sometimes I change prescriptions twice a year). Last time I got new glasses as well since my others were 3 prescriptions behind. My only criteria was that they did not look like Sarah Palin!

I agree with Martha, just go into the office and try everything on. I sort of knew what I wanted, but I still tried on almost 25 different pairs of the same type, some looked horrible and some were great.

These are pretty similar. They look kinda nerdy in the pic but I like them! They are Calvin Klein dark brown tortoiseshell with pink on the inside (I chose the pink ones b/c they give my skin more color).
http://www.daisyeyewear.com/syssite/home/shop/1/pic_upload/Calvin_Klein_6001_54-16-135_C3_BLK-2.jpg

Yeah, hopefully my eyesight doesn't deteriorate too badly once I get my prescription glasses; otherwise, I'll definitely end up on the same boat as you.

I'll probably spend several hours at the office trying on every pair, deliberating, debating, and second-guessing. I suppose it's inevitable if you're purchasing frames for the first time, unless of course you're purely pragmatic and, therefore, could care less about aesthetics.

Those Calvin Klein glasses are lovely--the pink inside is a really nice touch.

It turns out I have astigmatism and slight myopia. According to the Dr., my astigmatism requires that I ought to wear corrective lenses at virtually all times. Oh, joy. :grumpy: The likelihood is that I'll probably just wear my glasses while driving (you know, because I'd hate to put myself and others in danger because of my wonky vision).

I ended up dragging a friend along to my appointment, and after an hour and a half or so of trying on nearly every frame available, I settled on a pair. It is a plastic frame in a dark brown tortoiseshell hue. Lo and behold, the glasses I chose were under the "mens" section! :| I had no idea of this until after I had my eye measurements taken and checked out (when I finally noticed the sign above the selections!). Turns out my friend knew this all along, but didn't say anything (great friend, right?), but to her defense, she felt that ladies could look just as good in "mens" eyewear and that the frames I settled on actually looked the best on me. Oh well, go figure.

I'll post a pic next week, once I pick up the glasses.

Yeah when I picked out mine I just told the lady what style I wanted and she pulled them out b/c I wasn't even sure which ones were mens.

I've been wearing glasses for 17 years. I got my first pair when I was 19. As the years went by, my vision got worse. I'm near sighted so I have to wear them most of the time. Whenever someone takes a picture of me, I usually remove my glasses. I've been wearing the same pair now for the last 6 years, so its pretty much time to get new ones. I don't like contacts either, so I don't wear them. Anyway, good luck with your glasses. I'm sure you'll look great.

The coolest kids always do. :sexywink:

if only i had known this way back when :wink:

I've been wearing glasses for 17 years. I got my first pair when I was 19. As the years went by, my vision got worse. I'm near sighted so I have to wear them most of the time. Whenever someone takes a picture of me, I usually remove my glasses. I've been wearing the same pair now for the last 6 years, so its pretty much time to get new ones. I don't like contacts either, so I don't wear them. Anyway, good luck with your glasses. I'm sure you'll look great.

I'll likely be wearing the pair I just purchased for the next decade, if not longer :|

Sure. :shifty:

Once the eyes start to go, they usually don't stop.

You may end up with a new pair every two years or so. :happy:

oh, no no. you don't understand. see, my eyes and I had a lil' chat to straighten this matter out. they know i'm already fuming at them for dropping the ball this time around ... they're keenly aware that if it happens again, i'll have no choice but to gouge them out. some things just call for the use of threats.

oh, no no. you don't understand. see, my eyes and I had a lil' chat to straighten this matter out. they know i'm already fuming at them for dropping the ball this time around ... they're keenly aware that if it happens again, i'll have no choice but to gouge them out. some things just call for the use of threats.

Does your 3rd nipple impact your vision?

:lol:

I'm seeing the eye doctor on Tuesday. I've had the same pair of glasses way too long, like 5-9 years I think :crack: Wonder how much my eyes have deteriorated :reject: Anything close up now I usually look at above or below the lens. I don't want to hear the word "bifocals" :sad: But looking forward to new frames. :up:

:lol:

I'm seeing the eye doctor on Tuesday. I've had the same pair of glasses way too long, like 5-9 years I think :crack: Wonder how much my eyes have deteriorated :reject: Anything close up now I usually look at above or below the lens. I don't want to hear the word "bifocals" :sad: But looking forward to new frames. :up:

You're not THAT old...the sense of Bifocals is old school; today, glasses are called "progressives"..you can't tell the difference between close and far..honestly, take a look at my glasses...those are 4-focals...all blended in...that's where its come in the past "5 to 9 years"...you'll look stylish, honest.

What Mr BAW says....trust us older folks. I've been wearing the progressive lenses for more than 5-9 years now and only when reading or on computer, i.e. "close up" detail work. At my age I'd think my eyes would be worse but guess I'm lucky. Once I get insurance again I'll be in need of a new prescription and frames though.

Back
Top Bottom