Sorry Country Fans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Philk?

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
So tonight, I went to this beautiful concert that my little sister sang in. It was in this very old, accoustically perfect, just beautiful church and really, it was very moving.

Now I have come home, I have sat at my computer and my housemate down the hall is blasting his country music. I am sorry if this offends anyone in any way, but seriously, the lyrics in the song repeat, "Son, you're a double XL" :der:

Ok, sorry. I'm done. Thank you for your time. :)
Phil

I'm with ya. I can't take country music. I remember listening to a song about fishing once. I was driving in Columbus GA and was remember thinking, "WTF is this?" It was like a commercial, only 3 minutes and no products mentioned. Weird.

i can't get into it either....it's one notch below elevator muzak...but at least there are positives w/ elevator muzak, it can calm you...Country music just makes you want to shove hot pokers in your ears.

when I filled out my housing form for living on-campus years back....in the "comments" field, I specified that I could not live with someone that listened to country music. :|

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
when I filled out my housing form for living on-campus years back....in the "comments" field, I specified that I could not live with someone that listened to country music. :|

Did they oblige this request?

Numb1075 said:

Did they oblige this request?

yeah, well, I ended up living w/ my friend who also hates country w/ the fire of a thousand burning suns, so it was all good :D Our sweetmates and floormates however.....:mad:

financeguy said:
You guys should listen to some Gram Parsons and EmmyLou Harris.

I don't actually consider them country. ...or maybe I should say I don't consider them "that evil, incredibly annoying crap that passes for country."

indra said:

I don't actually consider them country. ...or maybe I should say I don't consider them "that evil, incredibly annoying crap that passes for country."

I suppose is is a matter of how broadly country is defined, in a similar vein I like some Irish traditional music but I really hate the way the Corrs are probably viewed internationally as 'trad' particularly because the Corrs actually have genuine talent but obviously chose to go the radio friendly bland let's sell loads of records route a long time ago. They are not a band I would recommend if I wanted to introduce someone to trad.

^yeah very true. And it pisses me off to no end when people confuse the horrible whining noise that is today's country with folk or bluegrass as you mentioned. Arlo Guthrie is NOT country (at least not in it's modern form). And there's a lot of good southern rock, like the Allman Bros.

But yeah, the country crap that they play on the radio, the "its 5 o clock somewhere" "the statue of liberty started shakin her fist" "my girl she gone and left me" stuff. It's awful :barf:

ps- financeguy is right that emmylou harris is great, alison krauss is awesome too...the o brother where art thou soundtrack deserved everything it got, everyone should own it. yeah.

Last edited:
There is some real crap out there but there is also some great country. I say that as a former country basher myself:)

Alison Krauss :heart:
maria mckee
even lots of the Dixie Chicks songs have great lyrics (not the radio played ones but others)
Emmylou Harris
Nanci Griffith

i know i'm leaving some out

oh and the worst lyric ever goes to....."there's a Bar B Q stain on my white tee shirt" :tsk:

haha, yeah I bought my dad this great Alison Krauss compilation for his birthday because he loves her...but I listen to it more than him since he's old, cynical, lost the youthful passion for music, etc. :tsk:

just wanted to add that some of the older stuff, carter family stuff, is really awesome as well. I used to bash any and all country too redkat, til I watched some PBS special on them and saw the light.

I think the country Phil is referring to is what is "country western". Not true/good country like the bluegrass/folk stuff (Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, etc).

I live in a small town in Iowa, so I'm surrounded by people who loooooove crappy country music. In college I had a roomate who loved it. Later on I got a job where the radio was always tuned to the country station. And you never know when you are going to go into a store or restaurant and be assaulted by it being played over the P.A. system. And of course it's never Johnny Cash or Allison Krauss or Steve Earle, or anyone else who is actually worth listening to. It's always Kenny Chesney or some other crap.

wow, now i gotta ask. What small town? I grew up in Iowa for 5 years, before I left for college, in a small town called Pella. Too many pick-up driving wanna be cowboys in my school. But that life is over...PHEW!

Back to the main thing. I agree. Bluegrass is great. I actually like Allison Krause alot. Nickle Creek is one of my favorite groups too(tho they're more of a pop bluegrass I hear from true bluegrass peeps). But see, that has some musical value to it. :) Its just that "Kenny Chesney, lyrically horrible, I'm stupider after hearing this song" type of country I can't stand.

i like country music. even some of the shittier stuff. i'm not offended by your post. i don't even understand what would offend anyone.

Got Philk? said:

Exactly... "She was killin me with that mini skirrrrrrrrrrrrt."
:mad: :mad: :mad:

sorry for the double post.

hahaha, i love that song. i even went to see tim mcgraw in concert when he played at my campus in september. it was fun :up:

Real country music is brilliant. Stuff that's been mentioned like Alison Krauss and Emmylou is just amazing. Willie Nelson is fabulous too (Bono and Edge say so!) and of course Johnny Cash. But the thing is this is proper music, not rubbish like Shania or whatever. That's about as country as I am.

chickadee said:
Real country music is brilliant. Stuff that's been mentioned like Alison Krauss and Emmylou is just amazing. Willie Nelson is fabulous too (Bono and Edge say so!) and of course Johnny Cash. But the thing is this is proper music, not rubbish like Shania or whatever. That's about as country as I am.

Exactly. Real country music can be great, it is the Nashville scene that really sucks. The so called country radio stations are just shitty pop music with a twang and atrocious lyrics.

You know who drives me nutz, that guy on the Ford commercials. :crack: Is that Toby Keith?
"I'm a Ford truck Man, That's all ah driiiiieeeve.":crack:

Oh, and I didn't think I'd offend anyone really, just thought I'd start off on a more sincere note. :wink:

Got Philk? said:
You know who drives me nutz, that guy on the Ford commercials. :crack: Is that Toby Keith?
"I'm a Ford truck Man, That's all ah driiiiieeeve.":crack:

Oh, and I didn't think I'd offend anyone really, just thought I'd start off on a more sincere note. :wink:

Oh lord my mom and i have to plug our ears anytime that one comes on. It's HORRIBLE :yuck:

IAmBored said:

yeah, but they've been known to tell a few whoppers in their day!

Bono and Edge never lie:no:

J/K:giggle:

On topic: Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson:up:
country music in general

:down:

Back
Top Bottom