SOOOOOO relieved!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I'm so relieved right now, I feel high! :hyper: After a year and a half of applying and re-applying and RE-applying, I FINALLY was approved for a student loan!!! I'm set to leave for Africa in exactly two months and as of yesterday, had absolutely no way of paying for the class after being denied the loan again in August. I thought, what the hell, and applied AGAIN and it took WAY longer than usual for the credit check. When I saw the e-mail this morning I just sat there, crossing my fingers and BINGO "Congratulations, L. Rosema! Your application for a CitiAssist(R) Loan has been conditionally credit approved." These loans are such a pain in the ass!!! I mean, the POINT of a loan is because you don't have enough money during school right? Well, it's not very helpful at all when you keep getting denied. Thank God it finally went through!

Major Congrats, my calvinist friend. Go kick some arse in Africa.

P.S. Did you get my email with the support raising information?

Aaron and Doug,

Yes I did get both of your information and thanks very much! I did compose a letter and had my business writing Prof read it over. Thanks to both of you since I really had NO clue where to begin!

There's still $600 not covered by this loan and I applied for a grant from the school to cover it, but if that's denied, I'll definitely be putting those support letters to use!

Stars and HipHop, we're going to Tanzania, starting in Arusha and moving west. This is the "official" description of the course, IDIS W32 The Church's Influence on Development:

The course takes place in Tanzania, historic heart of humankind, home of Mt. Kilimanjaro and the famous Serengeti National Park, and one of the most peaceful and stable nations in Africa. The main objective of this course is to study how Church and Christian Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) are facilitating development through culturally informed theater in education among other methods of information dissemination. Other objectives include experiencing first-hand what life is like for Christians in Tanzania by interacting with them, reflecting on how students’ gifts, talents and Christian calling might be applied to the Tanzanian context, and gaining an understanding of how Christianity has affected the lives of Tanzanian people and influenced their creative arts in particular.

These objectives are approached from a historical, economical, societal and political perspective. Students participate in experiential learning through visits to rural villages of selected communities (such as the Maasai) and development programs, visits to museums, and also by attending cultural performances.

Students meet with church and NGO leaders and visit selected development projects including income generating activities, micro enterprise, health, and agriculture. Students attend class sessions conducted by class professors and guest speakers, covering Tanzanian culture, performing and creative arts, history, politics, current events, and the role of the Church and Christian NGOs in the development process.

Lastly, students experience the “Safari on the Northern Circuit” to have a closer look at the great animals of Africa, which includes visiting the famous Lake Manyara and Serengeti National Parks, Oldupai Gorge (a world famous archeological site), and the gorgeous Ngorongoro Crater (one of the natural wonders of the world).

Now that the financial burden is gone, I'm PUMPED!!! I even sold my beloved computer that I slaved to buy and got a nice camera instead.

Congratulations! Sounds like a great course too.

as a non-religious public administration student, that sounds awesome. congrats:up:

dandy, we'll be there for a month. This is my first time out of the country and second time on a plane. Actually, I haven't been on a plane yet, but I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks that my bf's mom insisted I go to so she got me the ticket.

wow, that is so exciting, liv. i'm sure it's going to be an amazing experience for you.

if you're freaked out about the plane (not everyone loves flying as much as i do :wink:), you might want to have some gravol with you just in case.

best of luck!

dandy said:
wow, that is so exciting, liv. i'm sure it's going to be an amazing experience for you.

if you're freaked out about the plane (not everyone loves flying as much as i do :wink:), you might want to have some gravol with you just in case.

best of luck!

Thanks, lol, I think I'll be OK. I've been on my share of 30+hr road trips with guys that are starting to smell so I think a plane ride with my own seat and not 20 pounds of stuff heaped on my lap will be just fine.

Have a great time in Africa!

I'm thinking about going next fall. :)

Back
Top Bottom