Sometimes I imbue...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elizabeth

New Yorker
posts with a tone. Does anyone else? Sometimes I pick the wrong tone and misunderstand people.

I remember in grad school a professor once chewed out a colleague of mine for a certain email that the professor felt had an "inappropriate and aggressive tone."

It's hard to find the tone in written things. Remember doing that in literature clasess?

It's all up to interpretation. Just think of "Tess of the D'Ubervilles" had smilies. Then we would be able to judge its tone a lot easier.

That's what smilies are for!

But yeah I know what you mean. It's hard to know how people are saying things some times.

------------------
My Lair

Originally posted by elizabeth:
posts with a tone. Does anyone else? Sometimes I pick the wrong tone and misunderstand people.

I remember in grad school a professor once chewed out a colleague of mine for a certain email that the professor felt had an "inappropriate and aggressive tone."

It's hard to find the tone in written things. Remember doing that in literature clasess?

It's all up to interpretation. Just think of "Tess of the D'Ubervilles" had smilies. Then we would be able to judge its tone a lot easier.

What I'd like to know is why people stick angry faces on the simplest of posts, like 'what's your favourite U2 single? (psycho red-faced scowl)'. And not just occasionaly - all the time!

Judging the tone of the post is a matter of instinct, I think. You'll know when I'm angry, that's for damn sure.

------------------
"It wouldn't be a cry from the heart
or a high, hurtin' wail
we could look down and laugh now
I'd be all together
I'd be totally removed..."

Originally posted by Sicy:
That's what smilies are for!

i don't think you've sold me on the smiley's to the point where i'll be emailing them to my profs sicy.

------------------
you can stuff your sorries in a sack mister

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
What I'd like to know is why people stick angry faces on the simplest of posts, like 'what's your favourite U2 single? (psycho red-faced scowl)'. And not just occasionaly - all the time!
I don't think we'll ever know why

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

i really really wanted to put this feeling i had somewhere and i think this is as good a place as any to get it out of my system while simultaneously tucking it away where it probably won't be read by anyone other than the extrememly bored.

I don't think people need to be saved from homosexuality! I don't have a problem with homosexuality, as long as partners treat each other with respect as all human beings should treat all human beings.

there. said and said.

and i love the thread that was started in PLEBA, just not the title. that's all.

because I infer meaning from things that other people might not actually have implied.
so by writing a certain thing, the author might not have meant exactly what i am inferring, and i did not want to attack, merely comment.

and i am also not sure what the general receptiveness is to homosexuality around here, and on a broader scale, what the general receptiveness is regarding people bringing in their political agendas.

i know how i would feel if someone came in touting racist groups, so it is probably best if i limit my political agenda to side threads and private discussions.

WHEW.

getting all that out, well, that just feels great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sort of felt the title was badly worded too, but then, in general, I read WAY too much into everything. It could've just been an attempt to have a more interesting title than "HOT BAND PICS!!!" or something totally benign and apolitical like that.
Anyway, I think everyone brings their cultural/religious/personal baggage into all their readings of everything, from post titles to Tess of the D'Ubervilles, to the lyrics for "One". Or even viewings of the pants, the sarongs, or the fly shades. My grandmother would've had a heart attack if she'd seen Bono wearing a rosary around his neck on leno, but then she's ninety and a practicing Catholic, all of which would inform her viewpoint. I had an awesome teacher once who loved to say "The show always looks different depending on where your seat is"
*sigh* I'm not making any sense, time for bed.
Dude, I'm glad you feel better and good luck finding the pants
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom