Something else I need off my *well oiled, glistening in the sun* chest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEAL

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
OK.

Back in Feb07, my boss asks me if I know of any DBAs (my job title) that would be interested in working for the company. I said I had two in mind. I talk to my first choice, and he tells me he wants to wait until his next review in March to see if he gets his promotion (he does). My 2nd choice quit the team I came from at my old job, so I figured he wouldn't be that interested being he's only worked at his place for a year.

He says he'll interview and see how it goes. He nails the interview, and my boss tells me he'll make an offer. He accepts, after some whinning about not getting a ton of money added to his current salary.

Thing is about this guy, very good trainer. You need help with something, he'll do it. He's fairly bright, older than me (he's 43, I'm 28). His negatives at my old company was he didn't know when to shut up. He would complain, and lose his temper. It ended up costing him his job. He was just lucky enough to find a new one before anything real bad happened. He really had a problem with the mgmt structure.

Anyway, as I'm talking to him prior to interviews, he's telling me how he's changed. He won't mouth off anymore, and he doesn't want drama in the work place. He doesn't want to go through that all over again.

Well, it's happening here. I have no one to blame but myself, as I brought him on. He shows up late, then immediately goes and gets his BK breakfast. Takes 90-120 minute lunch breaks, and worst of all, anytime there is a problem, he freaks out.

Everything has to be about blame. Who dropped a production table? Who changed permissions on this table? Why are we doing things this way? And worst, when he gets going on a rant, he doesn't listen to reason or any one else for that matter.

I've also found that when I worked with him prior to this job, I thought his knowledge was very good. Now that I've gotten more experience under my belt, I've found he just pulls things out of his ass. He'll read an article on something, then retell it while omitting major parts, just to sound like an expert.

He's been spoken too lately about his behavior, so maybe it'll get better. I think the threat of losing his job would do the trick. Or the threat of taking $ away (which our old employer did).

I just can't believe I put myself in this mess. So for the past 5/6 months I'd come to work and hear whinning, then go home and hear it too :mad:

Is it wrong for me to wish for him to leave? Under any circumstances *puts a titty magazine under his computer*. He will work hard when a problem comes up which is great, it's just the side show that's really hard to deal with.

I just want it to go away!!!!!!!!!!!!

*edited*

I should add I have talked to my boss about his behavior recently. In fact, in my mid year review, we spent the final 10 or so minutes commenting on him. That's not a good sign. He did say he's burning a lot of bridges around here, and he wants that corrected fast.

I just can't ever win.

Last edited:
i am disappointed that i walked into this thread to find that there are no glistening pics. :grumpy:

anyway, that aside, it isn't really your fault. you recommended him, but you weren't the one who hired him. and if your boss is well aware of what is going on then he will probably get a talking-to very soon.

but...i know this guy likes to talk, a lot. but can you perhaps go out for coffee with him one night and tell him to STFU while you explain some things you've noticed? i've had friends where all they did was talk talk talk. they sucked at listening. i seriously had to say "can you please just listen to me for a minute? i have something very important to say." and it worked. not that it changed how that person communicates, but for that one moment, that person had to shut up and listen to me.

it's an option. :shrug:

unico said:
i am disappointed that i walked into this thread to find that there are no glistening pics. :grumpy:

anyway, that aside, it isn't really your fault. you recommended him, but you weren't the one who hired him. and if your boss is well aware of what is going on then he will probably get a talking-to very soon.

but...i know this guy likes to talk, a lot. but can you perhaps go out for coffee with him one night and tell him to STFU while you explain some things you've noticed? i've had friends where all they did was talk talk talk. they sucked at listening. i seriously had to say "can you please just listen to me for a minute? i have something very important to say." and it worked. not that it changed how that person communicates, but for that one moment, that person had to shut up and listen to me.

it's an option. :shrug:

I've told him he needs to cool it, and even our boss has. His reaction is that he hasnt' changed by now, he never will.

I try to just avoid him period. He does sit across from me. He used to go out to lunch with me and a few others, now we just avoid him around lunch time and make sure we eat somewhere he won't go.

WOW! I can't believe he's that....nervey ? for lack of a better word.....to mouth off, lose his temper like you said, and come in late and take an hour and a half to two hours lunch?! OMG......That would NEVER work in my field. His ass would be out the door before he knew what hit him!

At least once a week you hear a pound of the fist on his desk.

I just look at him and shake my head.

It does create great stories to tell at lunch or over some beers though.

Another positive; he's always the first to raise his hand for off hours work. If we're doing a IT upgrade, he'll say he can log on from home and validate our database servers are fine.

So there are bright spots, it's just his constant shitting his pants that gets on my nerves.

are you sure he's not an alcholic? or something along those lines? I just can't help but think that when I've seen this behavior from people before who've ended up being that way.....the late mornings, long lunch's, over tempered, and then volunteering to do work from home.....? of course he could just be lazy too.

He's lazy.

He signed up for a Weight Loss Challenge at work where they take your initial weight, and then do it again a few months later and then give the biggest "loser" a prize (usually cash).

He signed up, and has ate BK breakfast every day and always has his Honey Buns for an afternoon snack (on top of lunch of course). Says he doesnt' care, if he loses one lbs, it's a success.

I don't think he drinks too much. He has a wife and child, so we all speculate how the home life is for them. He says he goes out after they're asleep to play pool until 2/3am every morning.

It's probably why he lets out a smokers HACK every 10-15 minutes.

Sounds like a real loser there, sorry to say. Don't feel guilty, just hope he's out the door soon and work can carry on without him

:hug:

and :hug: for your other thread too, been trying to follow along, just not enough hours in the day. Have to go squeeze in my 15 minute lunch now :happy:

I'm not sure, but is he maybe a busybody?
Coming late, extending brakes (will get him attention), telling half-stories to impress, freaking out, volunteering for overtime, taking part in this weight loss challenge and talking non-stop... I get the feeling he just likes the attention he gets through all of that.

I wonder that someone who shows up late and is taking so long breaks is still working in his position. Even here in Germany where you have several protection against dismissal you would likely been shown the door by now.

he sounds a bit like my dad... always wants to be right, shouts at you if you interrupt him while he does it himself, and when he can't win an argument he'll start shouting and such...

I figured the best way to deal with it is to ignore him... but I think that doesn't apply for you.... It sounds like he won't keep his job for long if he continues to act like this, so I hope that'sthe case for you and that the loss of his job(again) will somehow knock some sense into the guy...

Vincent Vega said:
I wonder that someone who shows up late and is taking so long breaks is still working in his position. Even here in Germany where you have several protection against dismissal you would likely been shown the door by now.

A guy at a very large company where I used to work was a major slacker. He would always come in late, always leave early, and always took long lunches. Not only that, but he missed 54 days one year, and when he was finally given the boot and walked out the door the next year he had already missed over 40. He was averaging only 26 or 27 hours per week actually at work (he was salaried)! Even when he was there, he was rarely anywhere close to where he was supposed to be.

The really hilarious thing is he was furious at how the company had screwed him over when they fired him! :lol:

I think your co-worker will be shown the door sooner than the guy in my story, BEAL. It appears the writing is already on the wall for him. Just hang in there.

Its not your fault, the guy should have made the best of it considering you helped him out. He should have learned his lesson the first time but apparently he didn't. Just stay clear as much as you can and this guy will be out the door soon enough.

You really can't get fired anymore. Yes if you have p0rn or sexually advance at a co worker, then you're pretty much done.

Just seems that employers are so afraid of lawsuits that they're more forgiving on most things. Of course you can be hit in the bank account, but when said person says he's happy making what he makes now...not sure what to do.

I've never met someone who's such a pig either. Have I mentioned I live in FUCKING IOWA????? It's a farm state, there are tons of pigs around!!!! yet I don't work in the ag business, but I have to see one every day!!!

We have our team meeting today which just turns into a bitch fest. I learned a long time ago it's not what you do, but how you do it. I keep quiet and let me work speak. I just wish he could do the same, but it ain't gonna happen.

I guess I would feel kind of bad if he were fired, since he has a wife and kid. But I'm not responsible for him or his actions.

Kind of a funny side note. Every once and a while he'll put on his headphones and ROCK OUT. I was pretending to send a txt message, and instead recording him on my camera. It gets a laugh every time my buddies and I go out.

BEAL said:

Kind of a funny side note. Every once and a while he'll put on his headphones and ROCK OUT. I was pretending to send a txt message, and instead recording him on my camera. It gets a laugh every time my buddies and I go out.

POST IT!!!

:shifty:

:whistle:

BEAL said:
You really can't get fired anymore. Yes if you have p0rn or sexually advance at a co worker, then you're pretty much done.

Just seems that employers are so afraid of lawsuits that they're more forgiving on most things. Of course you can be hit in the bank account, but when said person says he's happy making what he makes now...not sure what to do.

I've never met someone who's such a pig either. Have I mentioned I live in FUCKING IOWA????? It's a farm state, there are tons of pigs around!!!! yet I don't work in the ag business, but I have to see one every day!!!

We have our team meeting today which just turns into a bitch fest. I learned a long time ago it's not what you do, but how you do it. I keep quiet and let me work speak. I just wish he could do the same, but it ain't gonna happen.

I guess I would feel kind of bad if he were fired, since he has a wife and kid. But I'm not responsible for him or his actions.

Have you ever thought of starting new in another state? Away from all these things that seem toxic to you?

JCOSTER said:

Have you ever thought of starting new in another state? Away from all these things that seem toxic to you?

:yes: YES! Leave Iowa as soon as possible. I did.

Though, I lived in a smaller town...maybe Des Moines is better. But I went there a lot so I have my doubts. Yeah, I had to get out.

About your friend. You can't blame yourself. He went through the interviews and all so others had a chance to find out about him.

Good luck. By the way, does he smell like a pig? :yuck:

I've thought about leaving, but I like it here. Big enough city for stuff to do, but not too big that traffic and pollution are a problem.

Tough to beat our cost of living as well.

I have never gotten close enough to smell the guy. Doesn't appear to be a B.O problem though.

Back
Top Bottom