some advice :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_girlie_2002

War Child
Hi everyone :) I pop in here from time to time to neb, but I'm not a frequent poster. :) I'm in need of some advice. I'm a college student who is a believer and my English professor is...well...I've been in her class for a little less than a week and to me seems very...well, I don't want to say totally anti-God, but she's sending some questionable messages. For example, her views on abortion and things of that nature, plus she apparently has a belief in reincarnation and such and how she says she doesn't believe there is a hell. It just makes me feel really weird hearing all this. I was just wondering, how does one deal with someone who seems to be so strongly against what you believe. Even though in not so many words they have done so...
Does that all make sense? lol...I just feel a little opposition, that's all. Any thoughts?

xx

according to the Interference forum guidelines, The Goal Is Soul is not to be used for religious debates or discussion outside of its relation to U2, their lyrics and their spirituality.

the guidelines say that questions such as this should be asked for discussion in Free Your Mind (FYM).

just wanted you to know. :wink:

Well..lets rearrange around U2 then.

What would Bono say?

Well, Bono (me) would say stay true to your convictions, perhaps she is disillusioned, disappointed and needs to vent her doubts and frustrations to you because she can identify as a believer. Perhaps she is looking for answers...Her presentation of her "liberal" views is like a roll-call of her own internal process..issues she has to deal with.

Or perhaps the reason she is there is to make you question your own beliefs. If your beliefs are strong you will come up for the reasons for your faith. You should also realize that there are many people who do not believe in God or the Devil, so she is not alone. Bono doesn't seem to have a problem with people who believe differently than he does. He seems to believe that compassion and love are the most important things, not judgement and righteousness.

Jamila said:
according to the Interference forum guidelines, The Goal Is Soul is not to be used for religious debates or discussion outside of its relation to U2, their lyrics and their spirituality.

the guidelines say that questions such as this should be asked for discussion in Free Your Mind (FYM).

just wanted you to know. :wink:

lol, sorry :) :wink:

but, thanks, you guys for your thoughts :) I do agree with everything said. I've been praying about it and I know God will help it through this semester. :)

Last edited:
I deal with them all the time, they're called fundamentalist christians... some of them are people I care about and speak to quite frequently...
and I deal with them via the principles of this country - they have the freedom to believe what they believe, and so do I, and as long as we're staying out of one another's personal spaces with it, fine. you're against abortion? don't have one. she's pro-choice? she can get one if she chooses to. see? groovy.

Last edited:
I think it's healthy to have someone challenge your views. If you find yourself keeping them afterwards, they'll be stronger because of it. But the flipside is if things do get pulled out from under you, it can be devastating. I still haven't recovered from my freshman year in college, in many ways. But I'm comfortable with that now. Like I said though, the fear of exposure to others' perspectives can make your own weaker, because if something does come up on you suddenly, it could really mess things up. Take it as an opportunity to learn more about yourself

u2_girlie_2002 said:
my English professor is...well...I've been in her class for a little less than a week and to me seems very...well, I don't want to say totally anti-God, but she's sending some questionable messages.

plus she apparently has a belief in reincarnation and such and how she says she doesn't believe there is a hell.

Those things does not mean that she is anti-God or a non-believer, only that she believes in something different, or a different deity than you do.

6 billion people in the world, with vastly different personalities and histories and cultures. You don't have to share them all, but it's a wonderful thing to realize they are there.

I'm not sure really what else to say.

u2_girlie_2002 said:
Hi everyone :) I pop in here from time to time to neb, but I'm not a frequent poster. :) I'm in need of some advice. I'm a college student who is a believer and my English professor is...well...I've been in her class for a little less than a week and to me seems very...well, I don't want to say totally anti-God, but she's sending some questionable messages. For example, her views on abortion and things of that nature, plus she apparently has a belief in reincarnation and such and how she says she doesn't believe there is a hell. It just makes me feel really weird hearing all this. I was just wondering, how does one deal with someone who seems to be so strongly against what you believe. Even though in not so many words they have done so...
Does that all make sense? lol...I just feel a little opposition, that's all. Any thoughts?

xx

I'm surprised that you seem to have never encountered someone who holds different views before. I grew up amongst people -- mostly churchie types (not The Church as in the band either ;) ) -- who held vastly different beliefs than I did. Part of being a grownup is learning to accept that other people hold different views and beliefs, and that those views do not make them bad people.

I suggest you listen to what your prof has to say, maybe even do a bit of reading on the various views which differ from your own. If your faith is right for you (it won't be for everyone, I'll tell you that now), then you will keep it, if it's not, you will find what does work. College isn't merely vocational school, it's also a great place to learn about things and people which are outside your comfort zone (as this prof clearly is). To me those are the most important lessons you will learn in college.

Last edited:
Why is this a problem? If it makes you challenge your own beliefs, then that's fine. It can only strengthen yours or make you adapt them to fit yourself more in the long run. Forget what Bono would think, or the teacher. If you're sure, then that's all that matters.

WWBD
:huh:

Angela Harlem said:
Why is this a problem? If it makes you challenge your own beliefs, then that's fine. It can only strengthen yours or make you adapt them to fit yourself more in the long run. Forget what Bono would think, or the teacher. If you're sure, then that's all that matters.

WWBD
:huh:

I didn't understand why this was a problem either. :slant: You have to accept that people will have different views from you. That's life.

lol, didn't realize this was moved :)
Anywho, thanks for all your thoughts. :) Its nice getting some different views on things. (that's why I posted :)) I feel a little better now about everything.

I think its good to hear different views. How boring would life be if everyone thought the same thing all the time? Sounds kind of Orwellian. This could be a good learning experience for you.

I remember the professor for an Intro to Political Science class in college. I am a true blue liberal and this professor was at the opposite end of the political spectrum. In fact I was one of the few liberals in the class.

Let's just say it made for some interesting in-class debates. Even though our beliefs clashed, things always remained civil and respectful. I think he really respected the fact that I was able to stand up for my beliefs and debate them intelligently.

I did well in the class and even though I only had the one class with him, he always rememberd me and stopped to say hello when he saw me.

It was a good class.

Hey lady, never mind these bollocks who tell you this isn't an issue, or, better yet, to enjoy being challenged. These are the same folks that wouldn't stand for it if you were discussing a racial issue or killing seals for fur. 'Abortion is CHOICE'? 'But please don't chop down the Redwood Trees.'

Their Fast Cars do them no good. They are the same folks that get on and off the U2 bandwagon when they feel like it, not true fans, rather simply they enjoy carrying the picture in their lockets. They have no soul and they know it. He gives you something you can FeeeeEEEEEEl, moreover, sometimes you have to know what you believe in and simply stick to it. Don't let your professor challenge you. Be glad however, that she is being honest with you. She's simply not used to 'talking to a body in the body.'

Ciao

Totally agree with what most people have said above. May be that you are there to challenge what your Professor believes? Either way, at least this class won't be dull and you will get the chance to really look at what you believe and why. Sometimes we can become complacent with our lives and then something will pop up to make us re-evaluate how we are living. Should make for an interesting time!

I didn't realize i have no soul. Considering i'm a christian with 3 ministers in my family (dad, sister, brother in law). Gee, thanks for enlightening me that i'm a horrible person because i enjoy diverse opinions.

Paliughi said:
Hey lady, never mind these bollocks who tell you this isn't an issue, or, better yet, to enjoy being challenged. These are the same folks that wouldn't stand for it if you were discussing a racial issue or killing seals for fur. 'Abortion is CHOICE'? 'But please don't chop down the Redwood Trees.'

Their Fast Cars do them no good. They are the same folks that get on and off the U2 bandwagon when they feel like it, not true fans, rather simply they enjoy carrying the picture in their lockets. They have no soul and they know it. He gives you something you can FeeeeEEEEEEl, moreover, sometimes you have to know what you believe in and simply stick to it. Don't let your professor challenge you. Be glad however, that she is being honest with you. She's simply not used to 'talking to a body in the body.'

What does being a U2 fan have to do with this? :|

Everyday I meet people with diferent belief's from me, it's never been an issue, I find it very interesting when people tell me why they believe in certain things and challenge what I think.

I love how you take the moral highground here, what's christian about you calling people who think this isn't an issue "these bollocks" and judging them saying they "have no souls"?

Others have different views on things, if you can't accept that without criticising, that's quite sad.

Paliughi said:

Ciao

Please don't attack people or call them names in posts here. Thanks.

Wasn't the origional poster chided for her question? I repeatedly recall others chastising her for considering her situation a "problem." In all of your relativistic logic that many of you use, you should be tolerant to one's perception of a problem. Moreover, you should be tolerant to lanaguage. I would just bet that many who are offended @ being called a bollock just love 'ol Mr. Stern. Complete and utter hypocrisy. It's funny the dispersions that are cast upon folks who claim to be Christians. I haven't read any posts chastising the bollock who single-handedly categorized "fundementalist christians." The folks who are offened by God should live in fear, which I assume is exactly the rational for your critisims. This perception that nobody can tell me what to do, and furthermore, here is the right way to live is not in line with how we should live. I'm not sorry if I offended anyone, if you are offended, you should be.

Passion or belief in U2 has everything to do with faith, your either on the bus or off it & as Mr. Reed says, 'You need a bussload of faith to get by." I'm glad the fellow who is from a family of faith recognizes the error in his ways. Find your souls friends.

Last edited:
Paliughi said:
Wasn't the origional poster chided for her question? I repeatedly recall others chastising her for considering her situation a "problem." In all of your relativistic logic that many of you use, you should be tolerant to one's perception of a problem. Moreover, you should be tolerant to lanaguage. I would just bet that many who are offended @ being called a bollock just love 'ol Mr. Stern. Complete and utter hypocrisy. It's funny the dispersions that are cast upon folks who claim to be Christians. I haven't read any posts chastising the bollock who single-handedly categorized "fundementalist christians." The folks who are offened by God should live in fear, which I assume is exactly the rational for your critisims. This perception that nobody can tell me what to do, and furthermore, here is the right way to live is not in line with how we should live. I'm not sorry if I offended anyone, if you are offended, you should be.

Passion or belief in U2 has everything to do with faith, your either on the bus or off it & as Mr. Reed says, 'You need a bussload of faith to get by." I'm glad the fellow who is from a family of faith recognizes the error in his ways. Find your souls friends.

Seriously, the only person coming off like a hypocrite here is you. I think wolfeden was telling the original poster that just because someone else has a different view it shouldn't be a problem. You are coming here judging everyone else, telling other people that they should live in fear if they are offended by God. The point I made in my original post to this poster was that everyone has different views and that is something you will have to accept in life.

If you wanted to make a point in your post you should have been more articulate, calling people a "bollock" isn't going to make anyone listen or really care about what you have to say. I also don't see anyone else getting angry in here, u2_girlie was very gracious about everyone's different replies.

Christian discussions/ rants are usually found in FYM. You'd like it there. :up:

Paliughi said:

Hello Pot, meet Mr. Kettle...

Paliughi said:
Wasn't the origional poster chided for her question? I repeatedly recall others chastising her for considering her situation a "problem." .

We ask in our forum rules that our members don't name call (repeatedly calling others "bollocks" etc), attack other posters, etc. I suggest you take a look at them before continuing to post.
http://forum.interference.com/misc.php?action=faq

It is her thread and she said it was nice to be getting different views on things, so I'm not sure why you're getting so offended on her behalf.

I was a history major and a philosophy minor in college. Believe me, I learned alot from my philosophy classes. They pulled me out of my comfort zone big time (I'm a practicing Catholic) as I had not just profs who I disagreed with but also fellow students. They were atheists, agnostics, deists, you name it, they were in there. It was good for my beliefs, I finished school with them much stronger.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom