So not fair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I don't like to moan and complain and say "life's not fair", but for my dear grandma, I feel like it is. She has rheumatoid arthritis REALLY bad. She's had all of her finger joints replaced, both of her hips replaced, and both of her knees. It takes her FOREVER to recover from these surgeries b/c she also had/has skin cancer and the meds she takes for this leave her skin and tissue very thin a brittle. Now poor grandma has multiple slipped discs and cartiledge damage to the vertibrae in her neck. She says it's painful, but I've never heard her complain. She went to four different Drs because there is a surgery they can do to realign the vertibrae, but it involves inserting a metal rod down her neck and would limit her movements. The catch is that if they decide against the srugery, grandma has to live with the pain and the fear that any wrong movement could move a disc too far onto the spine and leave her paralyzed or dead. The worse thing is is that every summer my family goes to a cottage we rent. No one hardly cares to go anymore but me and grandma. Now she's not sure if she can go. There's not many bones left in grandma's body that haven't been broken, replaced, or attacked by arthritis.

My great grandma had the same thing, she developed it very early on in life and have to live with it into her 90's. I hope they will at least try something, at least to keep her comfortable :hug:

I ove your grandma [boy a smilie would come in handy here]

Can you take your grandma somewhere grandma/disabled friendly? Theres books of places that are accessable. Then maybe you can still spend time with her without her being in too much pain.

beli said:
Can you take your grandma somewhere grandma/disabled friendly? Theres books of places that are accessable. Then maybe you can still spend time with her without her being in too much pain.

Well, there's 2 probs with this (good) idea:

1) the place I'm going and where she wants to go is where we've been every year. I've been there every year of my entire life and my grandparents have gone since they were a young couple. I'd rather not go than go somewhere else. I can go (they still rent the cottage b/c they know how much it means to us), it will just suck without grandma.

2) I think the biggest problem is that she's not supposed to ride in the car unless she's going to the Dr. She has to wear a neck brace in the car b/c any sudden stop could cause her head to move in the wrong direction and paralyze her (keep in mine she's old and frail and can't absorb regular stops like we can). Going to the cottage is 1.5 hr drive each way, and if something were to happen, it would be a longer drive to the hospital.

It's just sad b/c I still remember taking walks with grandma, sitting on grandma's lap, and swimming with her and now she can't even go up a step or zip her pants on her own. Her mind is there and she wants to go on walks and sit by the water like she used to, she just can't.

I think it means more to her than you know that you care about her this much. People can always tell.

My grandmother is still alive, but ravaged by Alzheimer's and in a way, we lost her years ago, even if her body is still here. I'm glad we did spend a lot of time together growing up and I do sympathize with you greatly.

Back
Top Bottom