..so, just because I didn't take the tenner.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
On Saturday in town, I had to pop into a sweetie shop while mum was in another, then we'd meet up.

As I was leaving the shop I noticed a ?10 note on floor, and lifted it up and said to the shop-owner that I'd just found it/somebody must have dropped it, and I handed it over to her. As I turned to go out again she shouted after me for my name and also wanted phone number.......'Why?' I asked, she said that if no-one claimed it within the next three weeks it was mine.

:eeklaugh:

So I immediately dismissed that idea and said ,'Look, just give it into Charity sure'.......and walked out.

Now, I met up with mum and told her and she immediately called me an idiot, basically, JUST because I chose NOT to take money someone else dropped! Im gonna have to confess here its annoyed me her saying that. Im annoyed she never saw it from my side of the story at all. I mean, what was so wrong in what I'd done? ...She said 'that woman will never hand that to charity, it'll go straight into her pocket!' - I did agree on that one because A) first off, how the feck would anyone remember where they dropped money! .....and B) If anything I could kick myself because in the end I COULD have lifted the money and just put it into Charity myself - and believe me, I would have done.

And then mum said things like 'Sometimes things like that are fate....a little something that you see to help you along the way, in case you're a bit broke'

I was about to say 'But ma, Im ok!'............ but left it.

She genuingly was annoyed at me for doing what I did!! In all honesty, I DONT like to keep money I find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( it felt like 'stealing' to me, at the hands of someone else's misfortune in losing it)

Sheesh!

I think I question as to whether you would too agree with my mum I was an idiot. It was my instinct not to keep it.

:tsk:

Last edited:
Maddie, you do have a good heart. This past week, my brother got his wallet stolen including $200, his I.D., and two credit cards.
The wanker could have at least taken the cash, then turned it in at the beach we were at so he could have his I.D., but nope. Jerks.

~LadyLemon~ said:
Maddie, you do have a good heart. This past week, my brother got his wallet stolen including $200, his I.D., and two credit cards.
The wanker could have at least taken the cash, then turned it in at the beach we were at so he could have his I.D., but nope. Jerks.

God, what assholes! Tell Shane I'm sorry, girl. Man, I'd be livid if I were him.

~LadyLemon~ said:

Identity theft is more valuable than the money.

Melon

That was great Maddie!

I haven't yet found money like that but I also don't think I could have kept it. Don't know if I would have come up with the charity idea but I'd probably contact the shop owner. (or the police, if I'd found money on the street)

turning it in was the right thing to do:up:

it may or may not go to charity now

i think mum should not harp on it.
saying what she thought once is reasoanable.

i don't understand why not taking it after nobody claimed it is so important. it is good to make charitable contributions as often as possible, even without found money

Definately right. :yes: When I went on a school trip to Albany, I found a twenty dollar bill on the floor but instead of keeping it I gave it to the clerk... should have dropped it into that box that was for the development of the museum... who knows... the clerk could've kept it! :madspit:

Anyway- good thing you did though. :wink:

Last edited:
I found a $50 bill when I was waitressing a few years ago - I was the only one being good and helping with the job of keeping the trash off the floor. I did tell the other girls in case any one asked about it, but no one did, so a nice $50 tip for me! :dance:

The money not ending up in charity doesn't change the fact you did a good deed. If you believe in karma and such, you shall find a reward in some way, not that a good reward was your intention which makes it even better.
I got off a train one morning and was about 80% sure I saw a man in front of me have a $50 note flutter out of his pocket, so I scooped it up and went running after him as someone called out to me "Keep it!". After running after this man (who seemed to be late for a connecting train) I finally caught him and asked "Did you drop some money?" He looked in his pockets and says "My $50!" I grinned and said "Here ya go matie". He thanked me profusely and said he had to buy his family groceries with that money. I still feel really pleased to this day. Which probably undoes any good karma, but it was the thought that counts.

Back
Top Bottom