small confession about interference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
usually this place is great but sometimes i feel this forum saps all the fun out of being a fan of U2.
It makes me embarassed to interact with a small minority of people here and get this feeling that there's a divide between people who are "MORE a fan than somebody else" due to the way people talk to others and so on if that makes sense.

I only thought about this the other day when I listened to Achtung Baby for the first time in months and realised I'd actually stayed away from listening to U2 in general. Now it's not just because I was doing the usual thing and listening to lots of music i'd never heard before on top of the many bands I obsess over, but just because i'm reminded of people here and some of the complete crap they can say about how someone's idea of a favourite song pales in comparison to theirs blah blah blah...

sorry if anyone takes offence to this but I think the way I feel about U2 now is SO different to when I first bought The Best Of 1980-1990 after hearing The Joshua Tree as a 12 year old boy and just becoming immersed in this whole new world. Because of this band I want to be in a band myself and get my music heard by people, without I Will Follow I wouldn't be playing the guitar, and now I think of this band in a totally different way because of how what I think might start a huge row with some elite fan.

I just want to feel the same way I used to when I first heard Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bad and fuck knows how many other amazing tracks...

try not to think of it that way.. don't let that ruin your opinion of a great band.
or don't come here? :shrug:

i havent paid my premium in like almost 2 yrs, that's my confession....:lmao:

but to be serious...

ya know what i got teased and bitched at cause i couldn't spell, first time on a personal computer pretty much back in 2005(ya weird i know) and i can't spell worth shit, but instead of saying hey your a u2 fan we'll help you out.. they made fun of me. I don't care now, i even make fun of my self (my sig ahaha) but its still like how loving are we really as u2 fan with one another. Some people on here i consider a lifeline but some i don't want anything to do with just cause they're fucking jerks. i can spell now ha ha let go of what ever you have towards me. This fan site is the best on the internetz i personally think but its those few people who bring it down...:heart:

I think I said almost the exact same thing as you gb, 3, 4, 5 years ago. Whenever it was that I left. Think about what you're possibly giving up, versus what anxiety it'll save you.

As far as Interference is concerned, there are 6 or 7 people with whom I used to talk on a weekly, if not daily, basis. I probably haven't talked to any of them save for one since I was 20 (am now 23), and it's a real shame that I closed the door on good people whose only real fault was being loosely-at-best connected to this community. It happens. Life goes on. It'd be a shame to make that mistake, though. Just sayin'.

I still love pop, joshua tree, achtung baby, and ATYCLB and I definitely hate HTDAAB. Other people hate pop and love HTDAAB. I don't like Radiohead. I like blues and heavy metal. There shouldn't be fights about it, maybe there will be, maybe not, but there shouldn't be. If people don't like what you like, and they can't move beyond that, the problem is more likely theirs than it is yours. If they try to make it your problem, you have the unusual luxury of being able to ignore every word that an individual says to you here, which isn't possible in other venues. At the end of the day, the fans can't really ruin music for you, because you don't have to be involved in all that, and the music can stand on it's own merits. I can demonstrate that fairly handily, if you want to be reassured.

Anyway, part of it could be (probably is) that your tastes are changing, as tastes do over time.Just because you don't feel the same thrill as you used to when you listen to Pride doesn't mean the song is any less good, less worthy, that you like it any less, or that your memories of how great the band can make you feel have been diminished. You get used to things over time, and you're used to U2. Take some time off from the band, listen to new things, and you'll come back to it with a whole new kind of love. Just because things are different doesn't mean they're worse.

Those U2 snobs are missing the whole point of the music, in my opinion. They are so caught up with making other people feel like shit for their choice in songs, etc. that they forget that the music should speak for itself. I would think U2 wouldn't be amused with people taking their music and making other people feel inferior for it.

But yeah I guess there are plenty of good people here and as for the rest, you shouldn't let them bother you.

Here's what I've learned in all my years as an obsessive fan about a variety of things:

When it comes to the internet, if the internet are making you weary of what you love, it's time to go away for a while.

If you're getting weary of them on your own ... well, that's just the way it goes sometimes. :)

Sometimes I get a little frustrated with U2 fans, especially when I find out they behave in a way that, to me, is the exact opposite of what this band is about. But I've learned to live with it.

Interacting with U2 fans on this or any other forum has nothing to do with my love and admiration for the band. If anything, it has made my belief in the band stronger. I don't get insecure just because someone is saying negative stuff.

On the other hand, there are many people here that I really love and some subjects are very interesting and others are great fun, that's why I keep coming back. I like to thought of being connected to a community, even if I don't always understand people's behavior.

haha thanks for the responses guys, was expecting a whole heap of 'well don't come here then' but i'm grateful that you realise it was more than that. as for the music being directly related to the fans i guess it's not 100% like THAT but i don't know, i find myself thinking about this place an awful lot more when i listen to it if that makes sense :ohmy:

i'm not leaving or anything, just thought this place would be a good place to say it and cheers for the kind words :wave:

interference is awesome and i have met some kick arse friends.

but it is an internet site. dont let it get to you .
my love for u2 is much older than the internet and cant be broken by what some assholes think !

No matter where you go on the internet, there will be elitists, there will be jerks, there will be people who feel the need to rip on people and make them feel badly about themselves. However, there are also a lot of really cool, nice, and caring people. That's how it is in the real world too though. You just have to choose if you are going to let the negative people get you down and ruin the experience or if you are going to turn your attention more to the positive people and enjoy things a lot more.

I'm a mod, I have no choice. I have to deal with everyone. :mad: :lol: Ah, it's worth it though. I like doing what I can to try to make this place as nice as possible.

I know how you feel :shrug: But it's not what anyone says about songs or albums, it's other things. You have to just ignore it though and avoid being here when it bugs you too much.

Gareth,

I've noticed throughout my posting on fan websites (KISS, Duran Duran or U2), there will always be those fans who will play the "better than you" game.
As a result I decided to not give those types the satisfaction by not letting them "chase you away" from the bands you love.

This is a U2 fan forum? :shifty:
:wink:

I don't even visit a 1/4 of the threads here, so I really have no idea what's going on.
I love to write and see what my blue crack friends are up to.
I haven't been to PLEBA in ages (it actually is too much to bear at times).
I am not involved in politics and have no idea wtf POWERJUICE is. :reject:

I don't know who is related to who, who hates who, who fights with who or who is screwing who. (ok I lied about that one).
I blog, I read blogs...I clearly have no social life or outlet, so this is it for me.
:sad:

Oh yea, and I just happen to love U2.

More that anyone else, ever.

:lmao:

instead of saying hey your a u2 fan we'll help you out..

first...I think I was a little confused when I started to read the leading post in here. But let me make sure I got it right.

Gareth's confession is about some fans in general on the forum or just in the confessions? I can agree with the entirety of the forum coming from some fans, and I agree with LUA's quote up above, we all should be more like that.

I've encountered it as well and I've been here since.......2001? I still get it sometimes, but sometimes all it takes is for one of us to stick up for someone else too and just call each other out on a harsh remark or something. We all have bad days, I know I have probably been a bit more harsh at times than others, but I've also called others out on it. I sort of feel in a way that because we have all come here for the same initial reason---U2, it's binded us in a way as a family. So if someone's going to have a row with me, I'd probably PM them and take it out there rather than in an actual thread.

I think you'll find that if you just talk to the person that upset you, you'll find they really didn't mean any harm against you or anything.

misunderstandings take place on here as well at times.

I hope this made sense.

This is so me. I even wrote a blog confessing I have no clue what is going on in the U2 universe. :shifty:

I hate the "you're not a true fan if ___________________." crowd too. Sometimes the thought police are too much to bear as well. I try to ignore them the best I can in between albums. I will try to ignore them once the album comes out an I venture back into that part of the forum. :wink:

Until then, ignorance is bliss. :love:

I've been a member of a few fandoms in my internet life, and I think that the important thing is not to take it all too seriously. If at any moment I find myself thinking more about what this or that person said about the band/music on the forum, rather than spending time actually enjoying the music, it's a good time to stop and think on what I'd rather spend my emotional energy and involvement on.

when I first joined this forum it really added to my love for the band as all of a sudden this bit of feeling part of the U2 community that you also get at shows was now available in my own living room on daily basis

I guess in many ways this place is more a community nowadays than it was at the start
but I don't recognise the band I love anymore in the general way people talk about U2 over here
as much as I like to talk about the band I love it even more to listen to them

How to dismantle ... is a prime example of this
in my head I can think of many reasons why it would be least favourite U2 album
but you know what? when I listen to it I enjoy it immensely

I think in many ways people get to caught up in every aspect of the band that you can't actually hear when listening to them

anyways
no idea what I was trying to say
but yeah, don't let things get to you
and enjoy the music
cause music is the best

I've been a member of a few fandoms in my internet life, and I think that the important thing is not to take it all too seriously. If at any moment I find myself thinking more about what this or that person said about the band/music on the forum, rather than spending time actually enjoying the music, it's a good time to stop and think on what I'd rather spend my emotional energy and involvement on.

:up: This is very well said. I've stopped trying to involve myself in serious U2 discussion because there seem to be way too many people on this forum who think they know it all and their way of thinking or their favorite this or that is THE end all. I came to the realization it's not worth my time and energy and I shouldn't let my feelings get hurt because what it does boil down to is my own personal love of themusic and why I love it so much. There are a lot of idiots on here and I question whether they are really U2 fans or just groups of trollers who just like to stir people up. I ignore it, do my own thing and keep on enjoying the music. :wink:

I don't really visit the U2 related areas anymore either. I'll venture in every once in awhile just to see the news-worthy threads, then I move on.

i used to come here for the u2 news. now i come in here to lurk and stalk my friends. i dont even care what others are posting about how supposedly bad the pop album is, or is bono going bald, or whatever stuff people come up with. i will never let anyone else's opinions on u2 affect my own.

I do know they have a new album coming out and that's about it. It gives me a headache and almost makes my eyes cross just reading about it here :slant: It's like sensory overload. It will be just like the last time- I'll get the CD when it comes out but as for the rest, not interested. In general I've lost interest I guess and moved on to other priorities. It's a combination of losing interest and experiences here.

Haven't bought those remastered CDs and really have no desire to. Five years ago or so maybe I would have. I can't remember the last time I even listened to a U2 CD. Now if someone gave them to me I'd gladly accept them :D But there is a recession going on.

I really feel my love for U2 has gotten stronger in the last years, partly because and partly in spite of this forum. :lol:

I find some of the discussion here annoying on a personal level but I try to not let myself be influenced by that too much. I come here for news and I like to know everything that's going on with U2. I also come here because I find some discussion about other bands and music very interesting.

I consider myself a fan, in spite of what some people might say about "real" fans and the rest, and I feel a very strong emotional connection to the band. In fact I feel like I've never been so connected to U2's music like in the last couple of years.

At the end of the day when I turn off the computer, I forget about some of the annoying discussions going on here and just go back to the main reason why I love this band, the music.

I don't even visit a 1/4 of the threads here, so I really have no idea what's going on.
I love to write and see what my blue crack friends are up to.
I haven't been to PLEBA in ages (it actually is too much to bear at times).
I am not involved in politics and have no idea wtf POWERJUICE is. :reject:

I don't know who is related to who, who hates who, who fights with who or who is screwing who. (ok I lied about that one).
I blog, I read blogs...I clearly have no social life or outlet, so this is it for me.
:sad:

Oh yea, and I just happen to love U2.

More that anyone else, ever.

:lmao:

ditto(... okay... mostly!) When my hubby gives me a hard time about spending time on the blue crack and being addicted to U2, I tell him, most of what I do on here has very little to do with the band! I have met a few really cool people and I avoid the people who try to intimidate or belittle others.

i used to come here for the u2 news. now i come in here to lurk and stalk my friends. i dont even care what others are posting about how supposedly bad the pop album is, or is bono going bald, or whatever stuff people come up with. i will never let anyone else's opinions on u2 affect my own.

I agree with this except for the whole "lurk and stalk my friends" part. Haha!

When I first came to Interference, I used to just focus on U2 and then eventually branched on to other topics. This is the internet, so everyone's got an opinion, right? You'll agree with people and disagree with people, but you'll at least get to share your U2 perspective with them. While I've been critical about U2 on some things, I prefer to discuss the positive things about the band instead of focusing on things I "hate" about U2. That ain't my bag,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom