Sick of it all......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Awhile back I made a post about my best friend dissing the school I wanted to go to (where I am now in and will be attending). Last weekend she spent the night at the campus and she didn't like it, but she doesn't leave it at that. She goes on about what a horrible school it is and she would rather not go to school than go there, she feels like i lied to her about it being a good school, etc. etc. She KNOWS its the only place I applied and that i love it, yet she continues to go on about how "sucky" it is. I'm really proud of the school and the 180 its done over the last 6 years (it used to be crap, now its rapidly rising through the ranks to becoming one of the best public schools in the country). Yet she continues to go off about it and stops herself short of saying "only stupid people go there." Perhaps its subconciously out of jealousy because she is 99% sure she won't get into her #1 school and she doesn't like her #2. :shrug: what do i do?

She sounds like a friend I used to have. Anytime I would be happy about anything, she would find some way to bring it (and me) down. If I got a new computer, she's belittle the make, if I got a job, she'd say how I'd be working with "yuppies" and trn up her nose, etc. You get the picture.

It sounds like she's insecure and jealous, so I wouldn't worry about her at all. You sound so geeked to be going to this school, and you should be. Sounds like it's the perfect match for you. :up:

Yeah I think jealousy is a strong factor here, and there isn't much you can do to change that.

I think I would just say something like "Well, it's a good thing you're not going there, isn't it? By the way, how's your college search going?" And then change the subject.

I think it's entirely possible that she's jealous, and she doesn't want you to get what you want in life before she gets what she wants. Be proud of your school choice, and tell her to save her drama for her mama!!

You know the answer: pray for her.

It is sad that she needs to strike out at you when she appears to be facing growing pressure to get into a college.

oh i pray that she gets into her #1 college all the time. i really want her to be happy and so she'll stop being stressed and she'll shut up about CNU (where i'm going).

she's very stubborn and high strung. she feels like anything below yale or harvard just isn't good enough (but no...she didn't apply to an ivy league school). she's very closed minded and doesn't really understand how people can have different opinions than her. (i'm making her sound really bad but you've got to take everything she says with a grain of salt, she gets carried away often.) she loses her temper very quickly and when she goes off you better not be in her way. we're really exact opposites, i guess that's why we're such good friends :lol:

Sounds like a friend I used to have. Nothing was ever good enough for her. Funny, since now she's stuck making Starbucks lattes all day b/c she flunked out of school and moved back home w/ her parents. I'd try to ignore her for now and then breathe a sigh of relief come September.

I know it must be frustrating and impossible to ignore her, so I'll just say that I, as somebody who went to the #1 ranked school in the country, know that it's much more important to choose the school that suits you than the one that's at the top of the list.

martha said:

College should be a real kick in the teeth for her then.

I will be verrry interested to see how she reacts to college life...I love and welcome varying opinions and look forward to meeting different people of different backgrounds. She also flips if she doesn't get something her way. I'm hoping that college will change her for the better...maybe she'll become more like me :wink:

anitram said:
I know it must be frustrating and impossible to ignore her, so I'll just say that I, as somebody who went to the #1 ranked school in the country, know that it's much more important to choose the school that suits you than the one that's at the top of the list.

Exactly. Isn't graduate school usually more important anyway?

U2democrat said:

Exactly. Isn't graduate school usually more important anyway?

In some ways, it is helpful to have Yale (or Harvard, etc) on your resume, because it "looks good." So yes, that can help you get into a better grad program, if you have the grades. That isn't to say that snobbery should be applied - plenty of people from all kinds of undergrad programs get into GREAT grad schools every day. And I can tell you that as somebody who's had students in her lab from different schools, your undergraduate school is no determinant in how well you will do later on in research.

On the one hand, I have a nice piece of paper to show off. On the other hand, I sometimes wish I'd have gone to a different school back then - one not so populated with people obsessed with staking their claim in life at the age of 18.

Don't worry - you'll do well if you want to do well. The sky is the limit. :)

Yikes...she got rejected from her #1 school (not so surprising) and waitlisted from her #2 school (VERY surprising). we all expected it would be a shoo-in to her #2 school....but i guess not. i'll be doing my best not to set her off today......

U2democrat said:
Yikes...she got rejected from her #1 school (not so surprising) and waitlisted from her #2 school (VERY surprising). we all expected it would be a shoo-in to her #2 school....but i guess not. i'll be doing my best not to set her off today......

Let me guess, she wanted to go to UVA or possibly UR or W&M. I'd guess JMU as her wait-list school. It's just industrial strength insecurity fueling her diss of your school of choice, let it go.

her #1 was W&M her #2 was tech. her grades are way better than mine, her extracurriculars are more plentiful, etc. etc. now i'm just concerned for her well-being. she got 1 hour of sleep last night and is completely stressed out so oi want to be the bigger person and help her cope.

That's too bad, I hear W&M is harder to get into than some Ivy league schools these days. I forgot how caught up some people get in this kind of thing and how personally they take rejection.

There's always my alma matter, VCU! :lol:

she's considering VCU, the poor girl :wink:

her brother goes to W&M right now. he's a frickin genius he'll most likely be going to MIT soon.

we'll see. i've invited her to spend the night at my house so she can kind of escape and we can watch the NCAA tourny.

U2democrat said:
Awhile back I made a post about my best friend dissing the school I wanted to go to (where I am now in and will be attending). Last weekend she spent the night at the campus and she didn't like it, but she doesn't leave it at that. She goes on about what a horrible school it is and she would rather not go to school than go there, she feels like i lied to her about it being a good school, etc. etc. She KNOWS its the only place I applied and that i love it, yet she continues to go on about how "sucky" it is. I'm really proud of the school and the 180 its done over the last 6 years (it used to be crap, now its rapidly rising through the ranks to becoming one of the best public schools in the country). Yet she continues to go off about it and stops herself short of saying "only stupid people go there." Perhaps its subconciously out of jealousy because she is 99% sure she won't get into her #1 school and she doesn't like her #2. :shrug: what do i do?
Get a great education through your own devices to show how utterly wrong she is.

U2democrat said:
her #1 was W&M her #2 was tech. her grades are way better than mine, her extracurriculars are more plentiful, etc. etc. now i'm just concerned for her well-being. she got 1 hour of sleep last night and is completely stressed out so oi want to be the bigger person and help her cope.

Poor kid. The teeth-kicking has begun. Perhaps her attitude came through in her interview or essay? She's lucky to have a friend more generous than she is.

As I've said before, so you know, the town it's in is not a desirable place to me, but everyone likes different things and I respect that. If I were you I'd have taken JMU in a heartbeat and loved the mountain and valley around it, but you're not me. But if I thought it was just that it wasn't the place for her, I'd leave it at that, but this seems personal against you and that sucks! I don't know her, but you do, and if that's the vibe you're getting from her I can't say you're wrong. Don't worry about her, she'll be gone soon;) or you will be :)

Back
Top Bottom