Should I Wear Them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I Wear My Grandma's Earrings?

• Yes

Votes: 20 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
My grandma died last September. Before she died, she said she wanted my sister to have her diamond ring and me to have the small diamond stud earrings that she always wore...she never took those earrings out. Even though she had four daughters, other granddaughters, and a great granddaughter, she gave that jewelry to my sister and me. When we lived back home, she lived next door to us, so we were very close to her. I couldn't bear to clean the earrings and wear them though...it felt funny and wrong. I tucked the velvet box away in my closet.

I've been thinking about my grandma a lot lately. I've really been missing her. Coincidentally, on the day I was thinking about her particularly a lot, I found out that John's grandma had a stroke and was on her deathbed. The next day, I took my grandma's earrings out and brought them to a jewelry store to have them cleaned. When I got home, I put them on for the first time, but then I took them out right away and put them back in the box.

I don't know if I should wear them. I'm afraid that I will lose them, but I also just don't know if it's right to wear them. Then again, she always wore them, and it might be sort of fitting to keep them active, so to speak.

Any opinions?

Yes, I think that would be nice. Your grandmother wanted you to have them because she wanted you to wear them. I think it's a wonderful way of carrying a part of your grandmother around with you.

If you are worried about losing them, maybe you shouldn't wear them every day, but just for special occasions. Maybe Christmas time?

You should definitely wear them.

I wouldn't worry about loosing the earrings. Your good jewelery is meant to be worn and enjoyed. If you keep waiting for the right moment to wear your good jewelery, you'll never wear it.

I agree. She wanted you to have them to wear to remember her by--not to keep in the box. Wearing them is like keeping her memory alive--a tribute to her. I'm sure it would make her happy to know that you were wearing them and enjoying them and remembering her.

BC, since last nite i've been asking myself this very question! my parents called me last nite to let me know that my great aunt wanted to give me my great grandmother's wedding ring!

my great uncle died the week before thanksgiving, and i guess my great aunt wanted to give me the ring now before she dies rather than someone else deciding who to give it to after she dies (she's still in good health tho...she's 88 years old, and doesn't look a day over 70).

i was quite surprised, and honored to have the ring given to me. (i don't actually have it yet...my parents are bringing it up when they come up for christmas). but i've been saying to myself...oh geez i hope i don't lose the ring when i'm wearing it. i seem to have a knack for losing my favorite rings. i've been trying to decide if i should wear it just on special occassions or all the time. my great aunt's sister had the wedding band sized down to wear as a pinky ring and had a diamond set in it (when she was alive she worked at a jewelry store).

after seeing some of the replies in this thread, i may be rethinking how often i wear the ring too. i just hope it fits.

Actually, I just remembered something: o my communion, my nonna gave me her ring--the ring she'd had since she was a kid and had worn on her pinky finger since...well, forever. she had two daughters, and 4 other granddaughters, but gave it to me. Needless to say, even at 10 years old, I was shocked. But I love it so much--it's hers, and so much a symbol of what she means to me. I don't wear it everyday (it's too small), but have it on a chain that I wear on special occasions.

Generally, I find the key to no losing jewellery is not to take it off. My parents bought me a ring for my 18th birthday--I wore it for 3 weeks...was figeting in the car and lost it. It was lost of 6 months....we found it, and I haven't taken it off since.

if i decide to wear the ring, i probably won't take it off either...less chance to lose it.

my dad has 4 brothers and sisters, so i was surprised that she chose to give the ring to me too (not to mention all the cousins), but i guess a really am the oldest grandchild now that i think of it

:hug: all these stories make me sad and happy.. for the relatives we have lost but for how special we were to them! :heart:

BC, I agree that if you are comfortable with it you should definitely wear them. She wanted you to have and enjoy them. :)

i totally agree (although i guess this reply is late :reject: ). You might look into special backs to the earrings from a jewelry store or something if you are afraid of losing them?? Then again, if she wore them everyday, they are probably pretty secure!
:)

Yeah I agree! You should wear them. :)

My mom got my great great grandmother's earrings and she wears them all the time...and she wants to give those to me next and I know I would definitely wear them

Back
Top Bottom