Self-centered teenagers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
The last few months have been a much needed rude awakening for me. My grandmother died in september, we lost the election in november (which felt like a death to me), and people trying to get my dad out of his job. I feel like a completely different person than I did 4 months ago. Most of my friends on the other hand are very different. Either they have become, or I have just noticed, that they are VERY self centered. "me me me me me the world revolves around ME!!!!" It drives me crazy. More and more I have felt detached from the people in my school. My friends are very secure in their lives, and lately my world has been shaken, and I have been changed for the better from it. My friends, on the other hand, don't seem to understand the concept of caring for others and yes, life has its disappointments. Quite frankly, it angers me, and I'm getting fed up with it. This makes me all the more anxious to go to college, meet new people, have new experiences, and grow up even more. I also hope my friends grow up too. They'll learn that they are not in fact the center of the universe, and life doesn't always work out the way they like it.

There now I've got that off my chest. It's been difficult for me recently.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Good for you, U2 Democrat

For such a young woman, you truly know what it means to be a real person in this world. I wish they were more young people like yourself. You and I registered on this amazing site at the same time (Aug.), and I always enjoy reading your posts. Your posts are so insightful, thought-provoking, compassionate and witty. And to think, you were only 17 when you became addicted to the Blue Crack. Don't be too mad at your friends. They are just going through the typical teenage phase. When they get older, they'll become more mature, just like you are right now.

All Hail U2 Democrat

:heart: :up: :bow: :bow:

joerags is right U2dem :)

It usually takes a while but most kids grow out of that self-centered, world revolves around me stage, which I've come to find out in raising 4 of them, is pretty normal.

It still shocks me when one of my own do something selfless instead of selfish and I realize they are (finally!) maturing.

You're just a few steps ahead of your peers maturity-wise...and you've always struck me as someone who would relate to older people better than kids your own age so maybe once you start college, you'll find a group of friends you can relate to on a different level.

:up:

Really, when you first started posting, I thought you were 30 years old! You're amazing! Keep it up, and don't be discouraged by people your age. Maybe being around you, they'll wisen up.

I think you are wonderful and you're also an old soul and I mean that in the most flattering possible way. :)

U2democrat said:
The last few months have been a much needed rude awakening for me. My grandmother died in september, we lost the election in november (which felt like a death to me), and people trying to get my dad out of his job. I feel like a completely different person than I did 4 months ago. Most of my friends on the other hand are very different. Either they have become, or I have just noticed, that they are VERY self centered. "me me me me me the world revolves around ME!!!!" It drives me crazy. More and more I have felt detached from the people in my school. My friends are very secure in their lives, and lately my world has been shaken, and I have been changed for the better from it. My friends, on the other hand, don't seem to understand the concept of caring for others and yes, life has its disappointments. Quite frankly, it angers me, and I'm getting fed up with it. This makes me all the more anxious to go to college, meet new people, have new experiences, and grow up even more. I also hope my friends grow up too. They'll learn that they are not in fact the center of the universe, and life doesn't always work out the way they like it.

You're growing up right before our eyes...:) you will be an asset to your generation! :hug:

Self-centered....you should see some of the morons I've grown up with! I went to a rich private high school (two of the richest families in the US are here in town) which was cool b/c it was a superior education, but some of the people there seriously were living in the twilight zone! I mean, I'm talking people who've never worked a day in their lives or sacrificed one second of their time for someone else. I don't have anything againt kids who don't work b/c DUH I wouldn't if I didn't have to....but some people just don't even have the sense to realize that not having access to a car is NOT a big deal, not having your own room is NOT a big deal, not getting the electronic gadget you wanted for your birthday is NOT A BIG DEAL!!!!! :mad: :banghead:

I'm so glad my parents raised me to be completely independent - financially, emotionally, intellectually! Thanks Mom, you rock! :up:

U2dem if you are anything like me you will LOVE college! Well, I didn't like the dorm part so much (our school makes you live there for two years) b/c I get impatient when it comes to silly "girly" stuff and I can't at all relate to people that obsess over being homesick. The girls on my floor were always planning these rediculously stupid girly outings or dates and they didn't really get it through their spoiled brains that some people have to actually have jobs to pay for college....but now that I have escaped, I'm happy as a clam! :D

Last edited:
Bono's American Wife said:
It still shocks me when one of my own do something selfless instead of selfish and I realize they are (finally!) maturing.

This reminds me of how shocked my mom was when I came home for Christmas break during my freshman year of college and I actually helped her wash dishes/clean up the kitchen after dinner without being asked.

:hug: U2Dem, I now EXACTLY what you're talking about! :hug:

This is in fact my life! It's getting better now but there was a time where I could not relate to anyone, not even to those I called friends. A lot of self-centered attitude and just pure ignorance. And if I pointed it out for them I would, of course, be executed! :sigh: It's amazing how much people ask for others but don't look at how they act even in the most obvious day-to-day things of life. I found that everybody is always thinking a million things about the same thing at the same time so I sometimes feel like I can't trust anyone cause I just never know what to expect others to act anymore. Matter of fact is that a lot of people are just hypocrites, but luckily I think it’s more normal to be a hypocrite when you’re a teenager. It can be a very painful learning moment. Some grow faster some grow slower, it’s the way things go and it’s okay to not like it. Because of this of course you feel isolated and lost and that you can’t identify with anyone that lives around you, as I said that’s my life but things. You just have to be patient and understand that maybe some will never fully understand and might not be your friends anymore, cause their personalities are simply too different from yours to a point where you can’t relate anymore. I know this is not helping and I'm not sure I I'm making sense anymore though….. :scratch: I do believe however that this is a phase, a part of growing up. What I do is try to make me a better person by not doing the wrong things that I see others doing. Maybe I’ve gone a bit off topic here, I don't know, but I hope you get the message. :hug:

It WILL be better in college, just try to hang in there

Unfortunately teens aren't the only ones w/ that problem, there are plenty of people in their 30's or older who have it and never change, don't even see that they are that way. Maybe they just never grew out of it :shrug:

Wow y'all these responses have put an absolute smile on my face. Everything that has been said is so incredibly kind, thoughtful, and helpful. :hug:s to all!

I guess right now the best thing I can do is suck it up until the end of the schoolyear. Who knows, change may be right around the corner for some people. We'll see.

i am dating someone with a self-centered 16 year old daughter. it drives me :censored: crazy! its all about her and her friends and all the drama they can create in their lives. they have no clue about the world around them. :no: no concept of money because its constantly handed to her by her grandmother. :banghead: i don't know how she will survive if she chooses to go away to college! :crazy:

Most of us go through that phase, but not at the same time. Some people are in their twenties or thirties before they realize that it's not always going to go their way, hell, some people never really realize this, they go to their graves with that self-centered mentality. I still catch myself moaning about Incident X that didn't go my way.........gotta stay on your toes!

I'm in my 2nd year of uni. I am one of the youngest in my year and most of my friends are already 20/ 21, they are still selfish and petty. I was really shocked to go to a friends house and she didn't even lift up her clothes when she got changed. She left everything at her feet for her mum to pick up. She also laughed when I put my dishes in the dishwasher. She leaves her Mum to cook for her and tidy behind her. My siblings and I have been taught to put dishes into the dishwasher since we were really young. I remember putting Santa's cup and saucer in the dishwasher. :lol:

Seriously though, lazy, selfish people really shock me. All they care about is how bad their life is and expect you to listen to how they are the most unlucky person because they don't have enough money to buy 4 juicy couture tracksuits (I didn't know what they were until I met this person) when they go to America. I had mentioned briefly to my "friends" that I was having problems at home & am ill because I have been off uni for a while. I was only really contacted to listen to their boy problems/ uni problems (I wasn't there to take notes from)/ fight they were having with their parents because they blew all their loan on designer clothes. In the end I just kept my phone off. I was really not feeling well enough to listen to them talk about themselves. If I knew a friend was having problems I always phone them and offer to talk to them. The people I know, apart from three friends (who are in their mid 20's and are selfless, generous folk), have actually taken the time to ask me how things are. Although I don't particularly want to say anything it's nice to see people who actually care. I guess the people I know are just enjoying uni life and have not had to care for an ill person before, but I was really shocked that none of them ever cook/ clean at home and leave their parents to go to the supermarket by themselves. This has always been expected of us, we've always had to help do that sort of thing. I think that I'll be prepared for my year abroad, I know I'll miss everyone and get really homeisck, I really love being around my family. I can't wait to see how some of the people in my year cope with buying food, cooking, cleaning their own clothes etc. :slant:

I went off on a complete tangent and don't know what I'm talking about anymore. sorry. :|

Lara Mullen said:
I'm in my 2nd year of uni. I am one of the youngest in my year and most of my friends are already 20/ 21, they are still selfish and petty. I was really shocked to go to a friends house and she didn't even lift up her clothes when she got changed. She left everything at her feet for her mum to pick up. She also laughed when I put my dishes in the dishwasher. She leaves her Mum to cook for her and tidy behind her. My siblings and I have been taught to put dishes into the dishwasher since we were really young. I remember putting Santa's cup and saucer in the dishwasher. :lol:

Seriously though, lazy, selfish people really shock me. All they care about is how bad their life is and expect you to listen to how they are the most unlucky person because they don't have enough money to buy 4 juicy couture tracksuits (I didn't know what they were until I met this person) when they go to America. I had mentioned briefly to my "friends" that I was having problems at home & am ill because I have been off uni for a while. I was only really contacted to listen to their boy problems/ uni problems (I wasn't there to take notes from)/ fight they were having with their parents because they blew all their loan on designer clothes. In the end I just kept my phone off. I was really not feeling well enough to listen to them talk about themselves. If I knew a friend was having problems I always phone them and offer to talk to them. The people I know, apart from three friends (who are in their mid 20's and are selfless, generous folk), have actually taken the time to ask me how things are. Although I don't particularly want to say anything it's nice to see people who actually care. I guess the people I know are just enjoying uni life and have not had to care for an ill person before, but I was really shocked that none of them ever cook/ clean at home and leave their parents to go to the supermarket by themselves. This has always been expected of us, we've always had to help do that sort of thing. I think that I'll be prepared for my year abroad, I know I'll miss everyone and get really homeisck, I really love being around my family. I can't wait to see how some of the people in my year cope with buying food, cooking, cleaning their own clothes etc. :slant:

I went off on a complete tangent and don't know what I'm talking about anymore. sorry. :|

:up: :up: :up:

By the way you have 14006 posts. :shocked:

Teenagers don't suddenly become self-centered at some point in life. A lot has to do with the parent's involvement and the parent's tolerance for self-centered behavior. It starts when you teach your 2-year old to share. It never stops.

The parent's job is always getting harder as the self-centered themes of advertising continue to get pressed on younger and younger ages.

They're also insulting. They go off about how a 3.5 is just HORRIBLE, practically failing. I don't even have a 3.5. And they know it. But they don't care about my feelings at all oh no why care about Laura's feelings. :shrug: I try to be courteous in the face of their blatant insults I just don't know how long I can be kind in light of their immaturity.

It'll get better, just hang in there and when you troop off to college you'll find people who you can be on the same level as and not have little princesses wandering around asking if their bum looks big in this.
Just be careful that you don't forget how to be your age. I've seen girls grow up too fast and they loose their sence of fun. But, from what I can see, you'll have no problems with this.

Cheers and hang in there:D

TheBrazilianFly said:

:up: :up: :up:

By the way you have 14006 posts. :shocked:

I know. It's embarrassing considering I have more posts under another name. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom