Really need input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I need some advice/input. In a few weeks we are picking up our dog. The breeder told me that they are waiving the adoption fee for me (normally $200, not to mention the dog we're adopting is not your typical rescue, but worth about $1500, and that's not counting the years of training, socialization, medical care and the conformation title they've already put on her). They also offered me our private lesson at a reduced price, but I insisted on paying full price for that. I'd like to get them some kind of gift, you know, not that I can think of ANY gift that would EVER match the value of what they are giving us. Is that a good idea? I just don't know of a good way for us to say "thank you" other than actually saying it, but it just doesn't seem like enough. So what do you get someone that you don't know who is giving you something that's invaluable?

That's what I was thinking, but I guess how their rescue works is they basically do courtesy listings for other animal shelters or individual owners who need to re-home dogs. Apparently the "adoption fee" is just what they advertise to keep away people looking for free dogs that will be used for baiting and they assume $200 is what owners would ask to re-home a purebred. I could always donate to our shelter, but they have no connections here and I don't know what their opinions are (some people have some really strong and/or strange opinions about certain shelters).

Ask them to keep you informed and then contribute toward the adoption fee for a new owner of one of their dogs.

BonosSaint said:
Ask them to keep you informed and then contribute toward the adoption fee for a new owner of one of their dogs.

Ooo, that's a cool idea. I bet she'll like that even though she doesn't really have much to do with the rescue org (it just happens to be one of her dogs that needs a new home, not that her home isn't sufficient, but she feels the dog deserves more attention than she's getting with several other dogs in the household).

Mr. BAW said:
I'm believing that a simple Thank You would suffice unless they've asked for something more than that...

I wholeheartedly agree. If they have waived the fee for you, it's because they have already decided that they can do it, and can afford to do it, and want to do it. They feel good about placing the dog with a caring person, but realize you're a hard working 'struggling college student' and want to do you a favor. Don't worry about it, take it as they intend it and use whatever money you would have given them to take care of the dog and your other animals. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and just be grateful they've been so kind to you and don't feel bad about it, they clearly want to do it. Or look at it this way, 'pay it forward.' Many years from now when you are very financially well off you can do the same for some college kid, and that will honor their good deed.

Last edited:
Butterscotch said:

I wholeheartedly agree. If they have waived the fee for you, it's because they have already decided that they can do it, and can afford to do it, and want to do it. They feel good about placing the dog with a caring person, but realize you're a hard working 'struggling college student' and want to do you a favor. Don't worry about it, take it as they intend it and use whatever money you would have given them to take care of the dog and your other animals. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and just be grateful they've been so kind to you and don't feel bad about it, they clearly want to do it. Or look at it this way, 'pay it forward.' Many years from now when you are very financially well off you can do the same for some college kid, and that will honor their good deed.

I agree and was thinking about this as I was reading through the thread. Write a nice thank you card and someday when you are better off financially, pay it forward. You never know, a few years down the road you could be helping someone very much like yourself get the dog they always wanted.

JCOSTER said:
How about your basic Thank You card? :shrug:

:up: Sounds fine by me. You all agreed to the price (or no price at all, in this case), so you're hardly ripping them off. A nice thank you letter/card/postcard/napkin wold suffice, IMO.

samralf said:
A thank you should be enough. A box of doggie biscuts for the other dogs would be good to.

:up:

I agree with this.

Sounds like the majority are for a Thank You card, maybe some doggie treats, and of course I'll keep in touch and send her updates? Nice, that makes my job easier.

Back
Top Bottom