Random Facts and Confessions part 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have mates who power it like 80ks down residential streets. (where its 50ks). that's just stupid. and i get told i'm a 'pussy driver' :lol:

:rolleyes: I hope they get caught and lose their license. Then who's the pussy now eh?

Don't let your friends rile you up. THe limits are there for a reason, and even 10km past the limit means the distance for breaking is much bigger. So if anything suddenly crosses the road, you're fucked.

(I got into Manchester University :yippie: :shh: )

Welcome to the north :lol:

Manchester is a grand place just aslong as you can talk the lingo.

" alright ourkid " = Sorry Officer , i wasnt aware i was over the drink drive limit.

i'd be driving them everywhere, so i would purposely drive reeeal slow.

:lmao: Do Iiiiiit!!!!

My dad always speeds too, scares the shit out of me when I sit with him in a car and he friggin' drives 150 where you're allowed 120. :| He's had an accident where he strangely enough had only scratches and the whole car was fucked, and shitloads of fines. And STILL he does it. Even with other people in the car.

When I drive, I drive perfectly slow. He keeps complaining that I should 'go with the flow' and keep up with other drivers. Well, if THEY are speeding, why should I keep up with them? I'd rather have people pass me than joining their moronic speeds. I don't do anything higher than 130(only when passing, mind you).

My dad always speeds too, scares the shit out of me when I sit with him in a car and he friggin' drives 150 where you're allowed 120. :| He's had an accident where he strangely enough had only scratches and the whole car was fucked, and shitloads of fines. And STILL he does it. Even with other people in the car.

When I drive, I drive perfectly slow. He keeps complaining that I should 'go with the flow' and keep up with other drivers. Well, if THEY are speeding, why should I keep up with them? I'd rather have people pass me than joining their moronic speeds. I don't do anything higher than 130(only when passing, mind you).

150? :yikes: That would scare me. If I know someone speeds, I don't get in the car with them. My BP would be through the roof.

150? :yikes: That would scare me. If I know someone speeds, I don't get in the car with them. My BP would be through the roof.

Yes. :| And when I'm asking him why he does it, he claims he doesnt' even notice it. Well I'm friggin' pushed back in my seat so HOW CAN HE NOT NOTICE?

I hope they will make a law that people getting too many speeding fines need to do a new exam to keep their license. I'm 100% sure he'd lose his. That would finally make him learn to drive normally I hope.

better late than dead, i always say.

I hope they will make a law that people getting too many speeding fines need to do a new exam to keep their license. I'm 100% sure he'd lose his. That would finally make him learn to drive normally I hope.

:up:

Do they have a lot of speed cameras here in the NL? I think they need more, anyway :drool:

The one thing that really terrifies me, and we see it quite a lot, is people who see the barriers going down at the train crossing and then still swerve past them. Someone was driving us home once and some idiot did that. Almost hit us because the barriers were down and he had no room to drive through. :yikes:

better late than dead, i always say.
That's a good motto! :up:
:up:

Do they have a lot of speed cameras here in the NL? I think they need more, anyway :drool:

The one thing that really terrifies me, and we see it quite a lot, is people who see the barriers going down at the train crossing and then still swerve past them. Someone was driving us home once and some idiot did that. Almost hit us because the barriers were down and he had no room to drive through. :yikes:

Yeah, though they could always use more. We also have mobile 'laser guns', people hate those. :wink: Cause they don't know where they are they risk getting flashed.

Ok that's really stupid. :| Why would you want to go under those barriers when you know a friggin TRAIN is coming???? I'd rather stop early than try to hurry through, because a train ain't stopping for me! Even worse that he's endangering other people!

Yeah, though they could always use more. We also have mobile 'laser guns', people hate those. :wink: Cause they don't know where they are they risk getting flashed.

Ok that's really stupid. :| Why would you want to go under those barriers when you know a friggin TRAIN is coming???? I'd rather stop early than try to hurry through, because a train ain't stopping for me! Even worse that he's endangering other people!

That's my dream job. I'd love to be in charge of one of the those laser guns. I'd be dishing out fines left, right and centre. :drool:

I hate those train crossings. I swear there is one near our house that's louder than all the others. Whenever it goes off and I'm near it on my bike it frightens the living daylights out of me.

That's my dream job. I'd love to be in charge of one of the those laser guns. I'd be dishing out fines left, right and centre. :drool:

I hate those train crossings. I swear there is one near our house that's louder than all the others. Whenever it goes off and I'm near it on my bike it frightens the living daylights out of me.

Haha you'd be one of the most hated people alive! :lol: Sounds like fun!

I'm lucky to live in a fairly new city('74) and all trains are on a heightened surface. So every crossing is a tunnel below it. Where I had driving lessons is an older city though(mine's not allowed because it's too new and safe) and there were a few train crossings. I really hated them because my instructor always told me to go slow, look left and right and such, which I did. And ALWAYS there was some asshole behind me beeping his horn telling me to hurry the fuck up. :doh:

Haha you'd be one of the most hated people alive! :lol: Sounds like fun!

I'm lucky to live in a fairly new city('74) and all trains are on a heightened surface. So every crossing is a tunnel below it. Where I had driving lessons is an older city though(mine's not allowed because it's too new and safe) and there were a few train crossings. I really hated them because my instructor always told me to go slow, look left and right and such, which I did. And ALWAYS there was some asshole behind me beeping his horn telling me to hurry the fuck up. :doh:

At least I'd be well-known. I don't think my neighbours like me so much or they're highly suspicious of me, at least. Nowadays, after being here a year, most of them say "Hoi!" To begin with they didn't even smile back when I said hello to them. They're bizzare creatures. I'm paranoid though. Sometimes I think I get funny looks in the AH when people hear me talking English. I think it's maybe my accent. Many people seem to have a hard time understanding me :reject:

Ah, I love when people get riled up in the car. It probably makes them even more angry that we're hooting and laughing at their impatience when they're desperate to pass. Whereabouts do you live?

Ah well depends on where you live in Holland I guess. If you live in a small town or such, it's like a community. Strangers are eyed with suspicion. In a city it's less like that, but people are also more selfish and don't care much for their neighbours.

So do you speak English with a Dutch accent or Dutch with an English accent? :D
If they don't understand you, tell them to go to Friesland and try to understand THEM.:wink:

Yeah that's hillarious. They SEE a big L on the car that shows I'm a learning driver, yet they still think they can be assholes to me. :lol: Dude, I don't care you wanna hurry past me, it's a double line so you're not allowed to pass and I'm not driving fast for you where it's not allowed. I loved those days.
I live in Almere. :D Youngest big city around, about 4M below sea level.

Ah well depends on where you live in Holland I guess. If you live in a small town or such, it's like a community. Strangers are eyed with suspicion. In a city it's less like that, but people are also more selfish and don't care much for their neighbours.

So do you speak English with a Dutch accent or Dutch with an English accent? :D
If they don't understand you, tell them to go to Friesland and try to understand THEM.:wink:

Yeah that's hillarious. They SEE a big L on the car that shows I'm a learning driver, yet they still think they can be assholes to me. :lol: Dude, I don't care you wanna hurry past me, it's a double line so you're not allowed to pass and I'm not driving fast for you where it's not allowed. I loved those days.
I live in Almere. :D Youngest big city around, about 4M below sea level.

Oh, I know someone who lives there! :) Do you drive a lot? I'm afraid to drive here so...I don't. I'm happy on my bike or walking and that's about it. We don't live in such a small place, really. Our neighbours stare though. I hate that. The old dude over the road does it a lot from his balcony. He just gawks RIGHT OVER at us. I always pull down the blinds when he's doing it. That's against the rules in this part of the world but whatever. I hate people staring at me in my natural habitat. :lol: One day I had a friend over (from Belgium) and our neighbour stared in and waved. She was highly offended and thought our neighbour was really rude.

I don't have an English accent :wink: I guess I speak Dutch with my "weird" accent. People understand me so that's good enough for me :up: Lots of people think I'm American for some strange reason. I get highly offended by that. I sound nothing like any Americans I've heard. One (Clog) girl in Ikea once said "OMG, you're from Ireland!" It's the only time a foreigner has known where I am from. When people hear Salomey they think his accent is just like mine (or he's South African) but I don't hear it. I don't think he sounds very Dutch either though. He does sometimes say things that we say a lot at home. He says "wee" ALL THE TIME (I don't). I think he does it because youse Clogs love to use the diminuitive so much in your own language?

I usually drive on wednesdays to karate and back.. and sometimes if I go shopping on thursdaynight with mom I drive back or something like that. If it's really bad weather I take the car to work on sundays, since all the other days my dad works so he takes the car.
Why are you afraid to drive?
Wow that's really rude. :huh: Why do they stare like that? Ever tried to stare back at them and hold a staring contest? Or do something ridiculous to make them embarassed? :hmm: We have a neighbour two houses off, and the guy there is mental or so. His wife is a huge tank with a horrible voice that shouts all the time(fun sitting outside in summer!) and he has weird tics. ALWAYS cleans his car on saturday(even though it's not allowed due to our sewer system, you can only clean with water or at the assigned spots, gas stations). He also has this lovely habit to look out of their bedroom window with BINOCULARS! We heard that one from the neighbours across the street. They always have their curtains closed, we now know why! :coocoo:

As long as they understand you it's good. I'd rather have any european foreigner than the horrible maroc/turkish accents I get in the supermarket sometimes(I do not want to offend anyone by this, just from experience!). They speak with such bad accents I have to ask them to repeat themselves three times at least! :crack:

:grumpy: You call us Clogs??? :lol: Never heard that one before! And yes, we like using our -je and -tje's a lot. :wink:

Biertje?

I usually drive on wednesdays to karate and back.. and sometimes if I go shopping on thursdaynight with mom I drive back or something like that. If it's really bad weather I take the car to work on sundays, since all the other days my dad works so he takes the car.
Why are you afraid to drive?
Wow that's really rude. :huh: Why do they stare like that? Ever tried to stare back at them and hold a staring contest? Or do something ridiculous to make them embarassed? :hmm: We have a neighbour two houses off, and the guy there is mental or so. His wife is a huge tank with a horrible voice that shouts all the time(fun sitting outside in summer!) and he has weird tics. ALWAYS cleans his car on saturday(even though it's not allowed due to our sewer system, you can only clean with water or at the assigned spots, gas stations). He also has this lovely habit to look out of their bedroom window with BINOCULARS! We heard that one from the neighbours across the street. They always have their curtains closed, we now know why! :coocoo:

As long as they understand you it's good. I'd rather have any european foreigner than the horrible maroc/turkish accents I get in the supermarket sometimes(I do not want to offend anyone by this, just from experience!). They speak with such bad accents I have to ask them to repeat themselves three times at least! :crack:

:grumpy: You call us Clogs??? :lol: Never heard that one before! And yes, we like using our -je and -tje's a lot. :wink:

Biertje?

Ja, natuurlijk :)

I call youse all sorts of things, but mainly Clogs. I love almost all of youse so it's mainly nice things. Seriously.

I don't get our neighbours. None as weird as yours, thankfully! Over the road they're old so maybe they're just really bored. I usually wave at them and they look really pleased to be acknowledged. I do say hello but we're still at the stage where they've gone from ignoring us to a grin. No words have yet to be exchanged. I shouldn't be so mean about them. They probably help prevent thieves from coming near our house because they're always out on their balconies looking over at these houses.

I don't like driving on the right-hand side of the road, mainly because I find it hard to get in the right gear. I always think I'm in first but am really in third and stall all over the show...slightly dangerous sometimes and people start tooting at me. I once did it at one of those train crossings. I kept stalling and was first in queue. I just couldn't start. I creeped forward. Stalled again. Then the barriers came back down for one of those really long, sllloooow freight trains. Whoops! :lol: Also the roads seem really narrow here in comparison to home. I like to have a bit more space. When I'm driving I hear "You're in the wrong lane!" and "What gear are you in, exactly? That doesn't sound like we're in first gear. No really, you're not a bad driver and the only thing that makes me think we're about to die is you talking about it constantly but that is not first gear. Chill. Check the gear. Seriously. Just check it. See! We ARE in 3rd gear!!!" A LOT. Sometimes guests in the car have said "OOOOOOOOH!" or "WOOOOOW!" I'm not that bad though :rolleyes: I think I veer towards the other lane so much because I think I should be in that lane. Oh, and roundabouts are confusing. Even though I see the arrows and know which way I should be going, I always want to go the way we go round it at home. I do it all the time on my bike. I can't help myself. As you can tell, I'm a danger on the roads. That's why we're all safer with me not behind the wheel. :up:

I don't have to say much in AH except ja (I have the bonuskaart), nee (I don't want the spaarzegels) and sometimes ja (I'm collecting the spaarmunten/whatever promotion stickers you have going this week) again. This week it's hamster week, as you know, so there are no stickers to collect. I know the Q&A spiel and promotions off by heart now. My AH reclame leaflet didn't arrive this week like it usually does, though. I was a bit upset that I had to look up their hamster deals online. But the ads on tv this week have the hamsters rather than that bald AH guy. That makes me happy.

Uhh, this is probably very off topic. Sorry!

Best commercial slogan ever! :beer:

Finally someone saying we're not all grouchy and annoying! :lol:
Well Old people are indeed usually a bit reserved. Saying hi is a good beginning, and if you want to make friends, get some gossip on another neighbour. Old ladies love it!

Oh right. :doh: I forgot you're not used to driving on the right(pun well intended:wink: ) side of the road! You just gotta practice more and you'll get used to it, I'm sure!
Foreigners on a bike are always a point of attention. Especially in Amsterdam with those bright red and yellow citybikes. :lol: I always get hit or near hit by one of them when I'm there, tourists suck at riding bikes!

:up: For having a Bonuskaart! Haaaamsterrreuuuuuuuuuuuuuh :D
Have you gotten Ola ice cream yet? :D 2nd box is FREE! :lol: I put some apart while working tuesday so I wouldn't risk selling out before I got done.
The hamsters are great, I like the german one as well. :wink: But Harrie Piekema isn't bad!

Uh. Right. :uhoh: We need to find another thread to talk in I think. :lol: Do you frequent Temple Bar or can I invite you over to the Pleba party girls thread?

I told my husband I was pregnant by text message. There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this, but there you go. Don't let anyone say the romance is dead.

I am druuuunk

my roommate had 3 shots and claimed to be drunk

I was like wtf? luckily his boyfriend came home drunk anddd

I had about catorce shots

I KNOW I'LL GO CRAZY IF I DON'T GO CRAZY TONIGHT!!!

i cannot wait for 9/12 chicago

dude crazy tonight (kick the darkness vocal) is soooo going on my dance playlist next friday for my epic party.

i just want to post in here to show off that despite being used to driving on the right side for over ten years, when i was in australia a couple months ago, i drove on the left side without any major issues. :angel: :reject: though it was mostly due to having lovely concrete barriers dividing both sides of the road and lots of arrows. if it'd just been lots of open road i'm sure i would've had some fuck ups.

k, i'll shut up now. :reject:

i just want to post in here to show off that despite being used to driving on the right side for over ten years, when i was in australia a couple months ago, i drove on the left side without any major issues. :angel: :reject: though it was mostly due to having lovely concrete barriers dividing both sides of the road and lots of arrows. if it'd just been lots of open road i'm sure i would've had some fuck ups.

k, i'll shut up now. :reject:

It's always easy when you have someone before you. But when you turn on an empty road, you really have to concentrate.
I've been to Australia for over five months, and till the last day thought having the steering wheel on the right side was a strange thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom