Random facts and confessions: Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, I forgot to put my main gripe in.:doh:
I don't like that we are obliged to buy Xmas gifts for everyone . . . . and their children.(our friends and family have lots of kids). We don't have kids so everyone assumes we can afford tonnes of toys and things . In return we usually get one gift for the both of us. :|

Call me selfish but it just doesn't add up :grumpy:

I don't like that we are obliged to buy Xmas gifts for everyone . . . . and their children.(our friends and family have lots of kids). We don't have kids so everyone assumes we can afford tonnes of toys and things . In return we usually get one gift for the both of us. :|

Fuck them. Seriously. I hate the way people always assume that people without kids have more money to spend and would LOVE it to spend it on someone else's kids.

imo people should buy the presents for their own kids.

People who are so freaking comfortable money wise that they forget what its like to struggle - and seem to think that those of us who are having a rough time of it are merely being taught ' a life lesson ' . . . you know what, they may be right but there's just no need to be smug fucko . . .no need at all :rant:

:crack: exhausted self . . . thanks for listening :D

ps ^ your sig is very very lovely indeed :cute:

This is one of the exact main reasons I just don't give at all.
I hate the conglomo of it and the expectations and greed.

I tell people that want to gift me, to give it to someone else or make a donation to autism research.

Sounds like your extended family has grown to the point where you can't afford each other. :lol: That happened to our family, so a few years ago we decided to draw names, with a certain limit. That way, you just have to buy one gift, for one person, so it could be a nice one. Works for us!

Probably too late for this year, but maybe for next year? :hug:

Does this mean you're not getting my son a Christmas gift, or a birthday gift (his b'day is Dec 22). We were expecting both from you.

Z_F My birthday is Dec 22....:hyper:

I do accept b-day gifts :flirt:

:wink:

Hope you don't get that awful double barrelled christmas / birthday gift . . . that drives me bonkers :D (my poor daughter is the 27th and some members of my family still don't seem to get the gist that her birthday and christmas are 2 entirely seperate events - grrrrrr :) )

Hope you have a superly dooperly one :D

Hope you don't get that awful double barrelled christmas / birthday gift . . . that drives me bonkers :D (my poor daughter is the 27th and some members of my family still don't seem to get the gist that her birthday and christmas are 2 entirely seperate events - grrrrrr :) )

Mine's the 29th so I know the feeling. :wink:

:hug: I agree with you - you shouldn't feel obligated. If you still do, then maybe buy one gift for each family, not for each member of the family :shrug:

Years ago we'd exchange with my sister & her husband, and their two kids (my niece & nephew). I didn't mind doing the kids, and we'd buy maybe one thing for both of them & vice versa. It seemed like neither of us knew what to really get the other. Then, my sister got sick :( (she's fine now). At that point (1997) we decided not to do the adults, and just exchange with the kids, and it's been that way ever since. My nephew will be 23 this year, and my niece is 20. I never see them or hear from them, and times are really tough right now, and so I won't be sending gifts their way, nor was I able to do so for their birthdays (one of which is late Dec.). I'm sure my sister has explained it to them. And on top of it, we barely get a thank you. We might get an IM message saying thanks :| We have other nieces that we used to buy for at the holidays, but we never so much as even get an acknowledgement that they received the package from UPS. So I'm not going out of my way to get them a darn thing. I'd say that's the parents fault for not teaching them proper manners :angry: I don't even know what I'm gonna do for the holidays this year. Just watching all the special offers being emailed/advertised. I see a few things for my daughter, but she's always with me so I have to make an extra trip to pick up the things she may want.

:sigh:
\endrant :happy:

In all honesty, my parents always forgot.
I do not have one single birthday memory that came from them.
My teachers always had a small extra gift or cupcake at school along with the x mas party.
On my 14th birthday, I waited for them to say anything, but I went to bed with nothing.
The next day when I got home from school, my mom gave me a small cake with Raggedy Ann on it.
But no family or celebration.
The times I lived with my grands, they got me a cake and let me pick an xmas gift, but with so many grandchildren, I know it was hard.
The last birthday I celebrated was my 18th.
I never did past that, until my children surprised me on my 38th with a Bono cake and gifts.
It was a bitter sweet celebration.

I never held it against my parents, I knew things were tough.
But I do remember my sisters and bros having bday gifts and cakes.
To this day, I dont really care.
It's just another day.

(my poor daughter is the 27th and some members of my family still don't seem to get the gist that her birthday and christmas are 2 entirely seperate events - grrrrrr :) )

We have two birthdays a few days before Christmas (18th and 22nd). The families usually put money together to get the person something nice. It's just too costly at that time of year to be forking out money for birthday and Chrimbo presents.

:cute: Aw, well they trust you, that's a great thing!

:shifty: Any juicy stories?

Oh yeah, I'm smack dab in the middle on one right now - one guy kissed another guy's girlfriend and both boys have come to me with their sides of the story like "what should I do". At least everyone knows the truth NOW, but it was weird for a few hours when I knew more than either of them did! They're in the same class too!

We have two birthdays a few days before Christmas (18th and 22nd). The families usually put money together to get the person something nice. It's just too costly at that time of year to be forking out money for birthday and Chrimbo presents.

i've got one daughter on the 20th and one of the 31st. i wish my family were stingy at times like this, because we get 4 lots of presents within 11 days of christmas, and people wonder why i always complain they have too much stuff! i've tried putting a limit of one physical present per kid for xmas/bday, but it's not really working anymore. and then i feel really bad because everyone goes overboard and spends so much money.

I've never had a problem with having birthday on the 25th, but everyone asked me, "That sucks, doesn't it?" No, my birthday doesn't suck, thank you.
In Germany we celebrate Christmas eve, so there were always presents coming in the evening of the 24th and another bunch on the next morning. And I also didn't get half the presents my brother got who was born June 27, as many people like to assume.

But it was a lot of stress for my mother preparing two big meals and the cakes.

Phil's sis and I decided not to buy gifts for our nephew, or exchange gifts between us siblings. The kid is just 1, he won't remember this Christmas anyway. Everyone is broker than broke. No one lives near anyone else so we'd be paying more for shipping. Every other year we get together and do an exchange. If they lived nearby, I'd probably do something like a photoshoot or some nice Christmas portraits and have that be a gift. It's just too much of a pain/obligation so screw it.

I've never had a problem with having birthday on the 25th, but everyone asked me, "That sucks, doesn't it?" No, my birthday doesn't suck, thank you.
In Germany we celebrate Christmas eve, so there were always presents coming in the evening of the 24th and another bunch on the next morning. And I also didn't get half the presents my brother got who was born June 27, as many people like to assume.

I think birthdays on particular dates like this is a great thing (except my gripe about too many presents!). Mine who's date is the 31st has the best date of the year. She thinks the fireworks on tv in Sydney harbour are just for her :lol: She'll always have the next day off work to recover from a late night, it's just an overall great day. Christmas day would be the same, I imagine!
:)

Except for the fireworks. :D

It's a nice thing. I don't have to work, I don't have to go to school or university, and I never had or will have to write an exam on my birthday.

Oh yeah, I'm smack dab in the middle on one right now - one guy kissed another guy's girlfriend and both boys have come to me with their sides of the story like "what should I do". At least everyone knows the truth NOW, but it was weird for a few hours when I knew more than either of them did! They're in the same class too!

:shifty: Did ya tell them to have a bitchfight over it?

What's the girls' role in this? I mean, the guy who kissed her isn't as wrong as she is cause, it takes two persons to kiss right?

We always tend to pity people who have their birthdays around Christmas, and I know a lot of them.

My father's birthday is December 29 and that has always been stressful for us, because we have to buy presents twice for him (even though he always says he doesn't want anything). My father's girlfriend has a son whose birthday is December, 31 and his wife, her daughter in law, has her birthday on December, 24, so it's non stop action for them around Christmas and New Year. I have some friends whose birthdays are in December. There's a neverending chain on celebrations this month :lol:

I'm not much of a birthday-celebrating person, in fact, I tend to forget even my own birthday, unless people call me and congratulate me. So far, I've always worked on my birthday and it has always been just an ordinary day for me, especially since I'm not living at home anymore. When I went to school I always disliked the date of my birthday because it was in the middle of the summer holidays. I was jealous to see people being gratulated or receiving gifts when their birthdays were during the school year, while everyone seemed to forget about me.

Yeah, thats good when the kids get older, understand the value of money etc (and she's nearly a teen so has savvied up to the 'I want an expensive gift so will ask for it for both xmas and bday) but when my girl was tiny - its kinda tricky explaining to a 5 year old why she gets one present for christmas and birthday but her brothers get presents at christmas AND on their birthday . . . and I know its an expensive time of year but her birthday has always been that date so its no suprise to any one in my family - advance planning is a wonderful thing . . . I'll stop now :wink:

:shifty: Did ya tell them to have a bitchfight over it?

What's the girls' role in this? I mean, the guy who kissed her isn't as wrong as she is cause, it takes two persons to kiss right?

"Funny" you should mention fight. The guy who kissed his friend's g/f, he got punched in the jaw last year for kissing the same girl when she was dating some other guy! Got his jaw broke and had it wired shut for 6 weeks. So, NO I didn't tell them to fight over her :lol: In fact my first words were "Don't punch him in the face, okay?"

Gotta love high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom