Random Facts and Confessions #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well.. hopefully it turns out to be ok. it's kind of a bit butt ugly though.

question... when did slut become a term of endearment?

Aw that sucks. Maybe you can find it in another store that still has it? They can hardly throw them away if they havent' sold them all yet!

Oh, that's modern culture, didn't you know that? :happy: Apparently it's nice to talk to each other throwing insults quite constantly. Yo bitch, wazzup. and all that trash.

My ex is looking for a house to buy with her current partner and I'm feeling quite jealous and pretty damn pissed off. I clinged to the hope that there might of been some way back for us.

:hug::hug::hug:

^boo head colds! I hope you get better soon! :hug:

For the past couple of days it just dawned on me that if I want to keep my goal of retiring in 32 years, I have to put a LOT more money towards retirement. Dammit, five years ago all those retirement calculators were pretty much saying, "Hell you got time!" And now they pretty much say, "If the market continues in this trend, you're fucked. And if the market happens to be better in 30 years, you better pray you only live until 82 because you will have run out of retirement funds by then."

My company stopped matching our 401k two years ago, and the amount of money I have in there right now is pretty much equivalent to what I've put in in the last 6 years. Which means I've made nil on my investments. :grumpy: What a depressing outlook.

^ :hug: . . . it is a nightmare . . . I'm a little bit too relaxed about that stuff . . . the finality of it all scares the hell out of me . . . but last time I looked I realised I have to put way more away than I had planned to make retirement at any age a viable proposition . . . :gah: . . . don't worry when I win a basquillion dollars in the lotto I'll throw some change your way lovely and will build a blue craic island just for fun :D

nope. they don't sell the 3gs anymore, you have to wait for the 4. le :sigh:

Thats BS. My mum got a 3G one about 2 weeks after I got my 3GS (this was back in January this year..) Ie: 3G was the 'ancient' couple of year old one...while the 3GS had been out since July?

They probably hold off till the 4G comes out. If you are buying outright there is always Apples aussie website, possibly?

The more I read about the Loveparade tragedy and everything around it, the less I can believe it happened in this country. And those fucking wankers of politicians (mostly) who ignored every single warning in hope for a huge image boost even dare to say into a TV camera they didn't know of any safety concerns. How can they even watch in the mirror anymore?

That is indeed a horrible tragedy. I heard another woman died of her injuries last night? And still everyone responsible points the finger at the other.

Yes, it's now 20 people. Aged 20 to 40. The politicians say they haven't been directly involved in the planning and didn't know about any safety concerns, but now there's documents of meetings which they took part in very those very concerns have been addressed. The organiser of the Loveparade said he never made any requests that could've compromised safety, though those very same protocolls quote him as saying that the demand for emergency routes were too great. In the local administration throughout the whole process everyone wanted to make the other responsible for planning the safety concept, and everyone said "That's not our task, they are responsible for that." The fire departments of Dortmund, where the last Loveparade took part, advised the city of Duisburg in how to organise it, but much of their advice has been ignored. They have been very critical of using that tunnel.
The former police president, who now is in retirement, was against the whole thing because he didn't find it safe. Another politician, who like the mayor wanted the Loveparade in Duisburg, is probably behind the police president being retired. The police and firemen have often been saying using the tunnel and the safety plan are not good at all. In the commentary sections of articles about the Loveparade on local news websites you can see a great many people who said "This is going to cost lifes" etc. Pretty much anyone who had only a rudimentary understanding of safety at mass events said the plan wasn't safe at all. Every last one has been ignored, with the mayor now just saying, "You hear things like that before every big event." The final safety plan has been signed at 9am of the day of the parade. Usually, such plans are signed weeks before. It's true, Germans are always pessimistic and you always have people seeing a catastrophe in any event. But this time, it was not only many regular people who saw it coming, but also about every expert.
And here's the thing I don't get at all. The last two Loveparades took place inside the cities of Essen and Dortmund respectively. At both events, one million visitors have been expected. 1.3 and 1.6 million people, respectively, have showed up. But these events have been inside cities bigger than Duisburg, with numerous possibilities to retreat into side roads. The organisers of this year used different figures to plan with. For the safety concept they estimated 500,000 people. The marketing figure was one million people. The area, an old freight depot, was said to be capable of holding somewhere between 300,000 and 400,000 people. It was known from previous Loveparades that at least one million, and very likely more than that will be there. It was perfectly reasonable to think that these people don't travel all the way, some of them around the world, to be anywhere except of at the venue. All these visitors should enter and leave the field either from the west or the east through a tunnel that was 12 meters wide and about 100 meters long. Right, a tunnel. Because these things allow you to escape so easily :happy: The other way, directly from the main station, was closed of due to concerns people might walk onto the tracks. In the many months leading to the event they could have made several paths leading to the field, but they left all those spots untouched.
Unofficial figures estimate some 1.4 million people at or around the Loveparade by the time the panic broke out. Several hundred thousands or so inside the tunnel or the ways there. After, it was mentioned: But no one died inside the tunnel. Right, but five meters in front of it because this whole area proved a fucking bottleneck with nowhere to escape.

But no, none of the people involved seems to be even thinking of saying, "I'm sorry, but I fucked up."

Yes, it's now 20 people. Aged 20 to 40. The politicians say they haven't been directly involved in the planning and didn't know about any safety concerns, but now there's documents of meetings which they took part in very those very concerns have been addressed. The organiser of the Loveparade said he never made any requests that could've compromised safety, though those very same protocolls quote him as saying that the demand for emergency routes were too great. In the local administration throughout the whole process everyone wanted to make the other responsible for planning the safety concept, and everyone said "That's not our task, they are responsible for that." The fire departments of Dortmund, where the last Loveparade took part, advised the city of Duisburg in how to organise it, but much of their advice has been ignored. They have been very critical of using that tunnel.
The former police president, who now is in retirement, was against the whole thing because he didn't find it safe. Another politician, who like the mayor wanted the Loveparade in Duisburg, is probably behind the police president being retired. The police and firemen have often been saying using the tunnel and the safety plan are not good at all. In the commentary sections of articles about the Loveparade on local news websites you can see a great many people who said "This is going to cost lifes" etc. Pretty much anyone who had only a rudimentary understanding of safety at mass events said the plan wasn't safe at all. Every last one has been ignored, with the mayor now just saying, "You hear things like that before every big event." The final safety plan has been signed at 9am of the day of the parade. Usually, such plans are signed weeks before. It's true, Germans are always pessimistic and you always have people seeing a catastrophe in any event. But this time, it was not only many regular people who saw it coming, but also about every expert.
And here's the thing I don't get at all. The last two Loveparades took place inside the cities of Essen and Dortmund respectively. At both events, one million visitors have been expected. 1.3 and 1.6 million people, respectively, have showed up. But these events have been inside cities bigger than Duisburg, with numerous possibilities to retreat into side roads. The organisers of this year used different figures to plan with. For the safety concept they estimated 500,000 people. The marketing figure was one million people. The area, an old freight depot, was said to be capable of holding somewhere between 300,000 and 400,000 people. It was known from previous Loveparades that at least one million, and very likely more than that will be there. It was perfectly reasonable to think that these people don't travel all the way, some of them around the world, to be anywhere except of at the venue. All these visitors should enter and leave the field either from the west or the east through a tunnel that was 12 meters wide and about 100 meters long. Right, a tunnel. Because these things allow you to escape so easily :happy: The other way, directly from the main station, was closed of due to concerns people might walk onto the tracks. In the many months leading to the event they could have made several paths leading to the field, but they left all those spots untouched.
Unofficial figures estimate some 1.4 million people at or around the Loveparade by the time the panic broke out. Several hundred thousands or so inside the tunnel or the ways there. After, it was mentioned: But no one died inside the tunnel. Right, but five meters in front of it because this whole area proved a fucking bottleneck with nowhere to escape.

But no, none of the people involved seems to be even thinking of saying, "I'm sorry, but I fucked up."

21 now... :( It's such a tragedy, and that something like this can happen these days, in these countries. I mean come on, organisations should know better than that?? It makes me very sad and angry. Also the fact that nobodoy is indeed taking any responsibility right now, even though those persons know damn well who are to blame.

^ I think I must have been living under a rock this weekend, but have been flying around cypberspace this evening waiting for the hublet to come home and was horrified to read about this . . . ditto VV and JS . . . there really is no excuse and my heart breaks for all those families who have had to suffer the pain of loved ones lost :(

21 now... :( It's such a tragedy, and that something like this can happen these days, in these countries. I mean come on, organisations should know better than that?? It makes me very sad and angry. Also the fact that nobodoy is indeed taking any responsibility right now, even though those persons know damn well who are to blame.

I hadn't heard that yet. Then again all I have right now is the radio as my parents cancelled the paper while they're on holidays. I'm going to pick up a paper today as I'm doing groceries. It's disgusting that they were warned in advance and yet authorities still deny responsibility.

^ oh of course the silly arses will deny responsibility . . . each will point the finger at the other instead of trying to find a way to commisserate with and console the victims families and find a way to ensure that such a debacle does not eventuate again . . . for shame :angry:

my guilty pleasure in this place

:shifty:
hottest chica thread
:ohmy:

why? the innuendo and repartee is side splittingly funny, and for the most part it ain't toooooo rude; and I am nothing if not curious :giggle: :up:
would I ever post in there . . . :no: not on your nelly :lol: . . . I just like to watch :wink:

:uhoh: . . . did I just say that out loud? :shrug: . . . better out than in right :laugh:

:shifty:
hottest chica thread
:ohmy:

why? the innuendo and repartee is side splittingly funny, and for the most part it ain't toooooo rude; and I am nothing if not curious :giggle: :up:
would I ever post in there . . . :no: not on your nelly :lol: . . . I just like to watch :wink:

I know, I love that thread. :lol: I bet we could put some of their innuendo to shame.

I got a massage today, but it wasn't the fun kind. It was the painful, omg-what-did-I-do-to-my-body kind, so I just kept quoting The Hangover to distract myself. :lol:

Not a good idea to make your massage therapist laugh when they're pressing on a painful spot, though. Oww.

I got a massage today, but it wasn't the fun kind. It was the painful, omg-what-did-I-do-to-my-body kind, so I just kept quoting The Hangover to distract myself. :lol:

Not a good idea to make your massage therapist laugh when they're pressing on a painful spot, though. Oww.

Did you yell out KELLY CLARKSON*? :wink:
*yes, different movie, but still hilarious!

. . . I'm really disappointed that 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' is being remade or hollywoodified :yawn: . . . the origingal swedish movie is bloody fantastic and I really don't see how any one other than Noomi Rapace is gonna nail Lisbeth Salander . . .so there are subtitles . . . adds to it all if you ask me :shrug: . . . and I probably posted this in the wrong thread too . . . oh well :)

QUOTE=Purplereign;6859012]. . . I'm really disappointed that 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' is being remade or hollywoodified :yawn: . . . the origingal swedish movie is bloody fantastic and I really don't see how any one other than Noomi Rapace is gonna nail Lisbeth Salander . . .so there are subtitles . . . adds to it all if you ask me :shrug: . . . and I probably posted this in the wrong thread too . . . oh well :)[/QUOTE]

:shame: :laugh: :hug:

ETA: Apparently I have forgotten how to use the "quote" function . . . .

I'm thinking of going to the local hospital and applying to become a volunteer. It is only one day a week for four hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom