Quitting work to go to school full time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
I'm seriously considering quitting work to go back to college full time. I'm just not satisfied with the slow pace that I'm going right now and the opportunities I'm missing by having to work full time. I'm working on a preliminary plan to see if it's finacially feasible. Has anyone here done this that could offer up some advice?

Have you thought about getting a night job?

I wish I could go back to school full time then it won't take me forever to get my degree. I fear that my financial aid might run out. :(

If anything I'd only work part time if I could go back full time. The hassle of work interfering with study time is one of many factors that's bothering me right now.

Do it, clarity! I'm going back to school tommorow after having stopped going for a few years and I am so excited. At first I was scared because I'd basically been working full time but then I realized that I could get enough financial aid to help me with tuition and some living expenses and wouldn't have to work as much---it's totally worth it if you think about it, sure you'll go into some debt but it's a sound investment in your future. Do you have a husband or children or any similar responsibilities at the moment? If not, then I say jump right in. The only thing stopping you is you!

Well, I am soon to finish a two year stint at university. I spent a few years before hand saving up though, just so I could get enough capital behind me. I didn't really want to have to work as I know it can interfere with study time and the course people advised us all not too anyway. However a couple of my coursemates managed part time work, they were just alot more organised and self motivated than I was!

What do you plan to study?

If you can do it, do it. I'd recommend getting some sort of part time job (my wife waitressed and bartended while finishing school. Felxible hours, cash pay) to have some spending money and to cover any costs. But it beats a dead end full time job.

I would say go for it. You can always find different part time jobs that fit your school schedule. I worked three part time jobs while a full-time student, so about 30 hrs a week total. I used financial aid and loans for school, and then work money went towards rent, books, utilities, and medical expenses.

Phil is going to do the same thing - quit work to go back for a second degree.

Yeah, I just did it. I did my undergrad then did some grad work, and then worked for a couple of years in research before going back to law school this September.

It's a bit of an adjustment living like a student anymore (had to get rid of my car, for example, have to live with a couple of roommates, etc), but I really love it. Definitely the right decision and as humans we're really adaptable so all it will take is a few weeks to get used to your new schedule.

I went to the "Preview Day" at UIC and I have to say that I'm completely sold! I found out which classes I should have before I apply and am making plans to get those done. If everything goes the way I hope I should be going back to school full time some time around fall 2008. I'm so excited! :hyper:

I'm doing the same thing. I'm giving up a really good career to go back to school to be a pastry chef. It's what I've always wanted to do. I'm moving back in with my parents at the end of November. :scream: That's going to be so tough but worth it in the end to not have to worry about paying rent. My program is 15 months and the last 2 is an internship, hopefully in another state. I don't have the option of doing anything part time. It's a very strict program so I have to just give up my life as I know it now and live for school for the next year. I'm going to try to convince my current employer to let me stay part time. If they say no then I'll just get a job doing whatever. I'm so scared but so excited to finally be doing what I've always wanted.

My original idea was to move into a studio apartment and take out an additional loan. After I saw all of the dollar amounts on paper I decided the addtional loan wasn't a good idea. Plan B was to move back home with my parents. I'm very fortunate they said yes to my moving in and no to my giving them anything for rent. They want me to just focus on school.

Not sure if that really helps in anyway but good luck! It'll all work out if you want to do it!!

I originally started going to school part time then realized it was going to take me way too long. I started full time last fall and cut back to only working Friday nights and Saturday mornings. I'm a waitress so it worked out well. I only work 12 hours a week but make good money waitressing. I'm also married which helps a lot. We've had to cut back on our spending, but it's no big deal. I have loans out, but I should be able to pay them off quickly when I get a job.

Good luck!

martha said:
Note to self: Encourage arw much more. :drool:

:flirt: why thank you.

Eventually I'll be able to bake for you all you want. My goal in life for after school is to move somewhere to the Southern CA desert, hopefully in a posh resort in Palm Springs, and make pastries for the rest of my life with Joshua trees, palm trees, and the mountains in my backyard.

Back
Top Bottom