Quarter Life Crisis...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-life_crisis

Characteristics of this crisis are:

* confusion of identity
* insecurity regarding the near future
* insecurity regarding present accomplishments
* re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships
* disappointment with one's job
* nostalgia for college life
* tendency to hold stronger opinions
* boredom with social interactions
* financially-rooted stress

And my "personal favorite":

A primary cause of the stress associated with the "quarter-life crisis" is financial in nature. Real wages for most people have been dropping since the 1970s, and most professions have become highly competitive. Positions of relative security-- such as tenured positions at universities and "partner" status at law firms-- have dwindled in number. This, combined with excessive downsizing, means that many Americans will never experience occupational security in their lives, and this is doubly unlikely in young adulthood. Generation X was the first generation to meet this uncertain "New Economy" en masse.

The era when a professional career meant a life of occupational security-- thus allowing an individual to proceed to establish an "inner life"-- is coming to a crashing end. Financial professionals are often expected to spend upwards of 80 hours per week in the office, and people in the legal, medical, educational, and managerial professions may average more than 60. In most cases, these long hours are de facto involuntary, reflecting economic and social insecurity. While these ills plague adults at all ages, their worst victims are ambitious, unestablished young adults.

In The Cheating Culture, David Callahan illustrates that these ills of excessive competition and insecurity do not always end once one becomes established-- by being awarded tenure or "partner" status-- and therefore the "quarter-life crisis" may actually extend beyond young adulthood. Some measure of financial security-- which usually requires occupational security-- is necessary for psychological development. Some have theorized that insecurity in the "New Economy" will place many Americans in a state of, effectively, perpetual adolescence, and that the rampant and competitive consumerism of the 1990s and 2000s indicates that this is already taking place.

So, come one, come all...how many here are in a so-called "Quarter Life Crisis"? I certainly am. I've got an M.A. that is seemingly getting me nowhere. I've applied to dozens and dozens of jobs, only to hear nothing back. I would want to move to NYC or LA, but have no money to do so, and my resumes to those cities are probably being sent to the trash, thanks to me living in crappy old worthless Michigan. I sit at home and bitch endlessly on the internet, while I make follow up calls to HR reps who probably dislike me calling. Of course, even then, that's such an improvement over the vast majority of posted jobs that I will never hear a peep out of, despite the fact that I'm more than qualified for them.

Then I want to move to Toronto to be with the only person I still love in this shitty world and it will cost me about USD $4000 combined in legal fees and application fees to get a permanent residency application through. So still, I need to get a shitty fucking job just so I can apply to move to the only place I want to be anymore so I can work there.

And, yet, after three months of being graduated, I'm still no closer to finding a job. How do you compete with people for a job that involves little more than making coffee and sticking your nose in someone's ass for a year, just so you can no longer be considered "entry-level"? Should I mention my cappuccino making skills make me a "great asset" for "their team"?

I feel as if the last six years of my life in college have been an utter waste of money. Being unemployed was something I could have done without $50,000 of student loan debt. And then there's that whole issue of "networking." Oh yes...I worked on that over the past six years, only to find that, now, my e-mails, 9 times out of 10, are no longer answered--one of which belonging to an "industry alumnus" from Emerson College that is supposed to answer these (through a program through Career Services)! I'm grossly tired of trying to contact people who clearly don't give a shit about me...and why should they? Oh that's right. That's how you get jobs in the "New Economy." Fuck talent. It's all about "who you know," rather than "what you know." And we have a President who certainly epitomizes that, that's for sure!

Now I've just got this sinking feeling that all of my talents are just doomed to get wasted in pointless "sales jobs" that advertise "opportunity," but are nothing more than a good place to waste 80 hours of your week. After all, you're young. You don't need a life and they don't want to hire two employees that work 40 hours a week. No, that would require giving two people half-assed insurance packages that require excessive co-pays and still don't amount to shit, along with a pay check that still doesn't cover rent.

What a waste, indeed, and God forbid I be able to move abroad. Europe is sealed tighter than a treasure chest...except, of course, for their citizens that live in the U.S. and take away all our jobs. Oh yes, the U.S. is the "land of opportunity" for everyone but American citizens, because immigrants serve the utmost most important function for Big Business of expanding the supply pool of labor and driving down wages. After all, their old cranky senior citizen shareholders want their ivory back scratcher down in "Sanibel."

Arrrrrgh. So, again, come one, come all! This is a most depressing forum, so there's got to be others like me. So post your grievances in great detail. It probably won't change a damn thing: the world will still look grossly hopeless and insult your intelligence the next morning, but maybe you'll feel a bit better by writing it down. I certainly do!

Melon

Last edited:
I was just instant messaging someone about my job woe, and you made me feel better...atleast I have a job.

I am 35.
6 years schooling
BS and MA degrees
No raises in 5 years...not even cost of living adjustments...
and will max out at retirement pretty much where I am now at 40 grand a year (rounding off in USD).

Ironically, you made me feel better about my plight....

Life truly sucks, apparently....

Granted, atleast I got that job, but there is always something.

Wish I had some optimism for ya. Good luck.

Last edited:
Melon,

Count your blessings.
It's not a sin to count your blessings.
Globally speaking most ppl would envy every poster in this threads postion and lot in life.

db9

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm currently reading that Alexandra Robbins' book, and it helped me realize I'm not the only pathetic case in this world. The standards are different than they were in my parents generation, and we deserve it. I mean, think of all the elections our generations have turned an apathetic ear to, all the problems we let our rich, older peers try to resolve...Well, when the owner is away, the employees will play (aka steal from us, and give special perks to their friends).

The fact that people who are barely making ends meet are forced to work 60-80 hours per week (12-16 hours a day during the work-week), makes me sick. I'd never do that. I'd rather live in poverty than sell my short life and limited experience on this earth to help other people get rich. That's bullshit.

And for everything thinks I'm complaining; you're right! It's not out of an entitlement for some 'easy' lifestyle, it's out of an entitlement for basic human rights.

If those conservatives in the capital are serious about family values, then why not address and FIX the problem with these ridiculous hourly requirements, when the salaries barely pay the basic bills?

Revolution will save our souls. Who's going to start the process?

Very true, Diamond, we are very blessed. Sometimes though it is hard to see past our own particular situation. Granted I made a choice (as did melon) about careers/college, etc. It is a lot of work getting to those goals and still feeling slapped in the face for it.

I've been having a quarter-life crisis since I was 20. :|

Fortunately, I only wasted a total of four years on my useless undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. I've now been looking for a job for three months, and out of the 30-something jobs I've applied for, I've had two interviews. The only jobs I'm qualified for (and the ones I'm over-qualified for) pay less than half of what I was making in the US, and I'm competing against (and losing jobs to) recent uni graduates with no work experience. I can't even get temping agencies to call me back. My savings is almost entirely depleted and I can't collect unemployment or get any government benefits because I have another two years here before I qualify for permanent residency/citizenship (if I can afford the fees!).

diamond said:
Count your blessings.
It's not a sin to count your blessings.
Globally speaking most ppl would envy every poster in this threads postion and lot in life.

You know, this is such a hallmark of contemporary American culture. "Don't complain." Well, look where "shutting up" has gotten us? No, I'm tired of "shutting up." This country blows, and there's nothing we can do about it. "Moral values" aren't going to pay my bills, and the institution of religion is part of the problem, not the solution. The minute they became entrenched in politics is the minute it ceased to be relevant. To hell with religion where it belongs.

I'm really at a loss. The fact remains, folks, that there is sheer logic that we must address. An increasingly global economy needs fewer and fewer workers, and with many of those jobs shifting to third-world countries, the fact remains that an increasing (and increasingly educated) population does not have the jobs. Where has our warrior saint President been during all this?

Conservatives declared war on liberals a long time ago, and we're still talking about "working together." Well, wake up. Conservatives aren't interested in working together; they want to fuck up the world in their image and then blame us when everything goes wrong. Liberals are going to have to start speaking out if they want change, and in more constructive ways than stupid hippie war protests. The war is here to stay, and the 1960s are dead and Ché Guevara is not coming back (not to mention that he would have hated us capitalist American swine); and the sooner we realize that, the better off we'll be. If we want a cultural revolution (I do not advocate violent revolution), then we need to take it in our own hands. John Kerry and his wife's millions were never going to save us, and nor did he ever really intend to do so.

I'm in the mood to create an online activist organization. Anyone else interested?

Melon

I've already got the first target of my boycott: "Quarter Life Crisis" by Alexandra Robbins. The person who runs the forums is an asshole Republican who banned me for writing an intelligent challenge to his political views (I had no clue that he was the moderator).

http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6317&pagenumber=4

So, folks. Don't buy it. Ever. Borrow it from the library, but don't give one red cent to this book. It's clear that this book is nothing more than a ploy to exploit our insecurities and make us spend money to make some Republican rich. But don't dare challenge the system. Oh no. That gets you banned, and, as we know, dissent is unpatriotic. :rolleyes:

Melon

Melon,

When I turned 25 two years ago I went through a quarter life crisis. It started several months before my birthday and lasted a good 6-8 months after my birthday. I was stuck in a job that I hated and that was leading nowhere, I was dealing with family stuff, other personal stuff. I guess in general, I I was disappointed with myself for not being where I thought I would be at the age of 25.

In general, I just felt like I was stuck and felt like I couldn't do anything about it. No one around me understood what I was feeling, so I ended up feeling very isolated from my family and friends--which did not make my situation any easier.

Eventually things did get better ... but it did take me a while to work through everything.

I think when you hit 25 it's one of those times in your life when you realize you are really not in college any more and have to really start being an adult. It's one of those milestone birthdays where you really take stock of your life and you realize you may have accomplished a lot, but that there are also areas where you may not be where you wanted to be. And those things that you haven't accomplished seem to loom larger than the good things you have accomplished.

Sorry for rambling ... but a quarter life crisis is a hell of a lot more common than people think.

JA

Melon, you've just described my life, in agonizing detail.

My synopsis: I have a BA in history, and I graduated last year with my law degree. You'd think it would be smooth sailing with those credentials, but no... My dream was to get into international human rights law, and I spent a year after graduating researching how to get into the field. As it turns out, unless you have years of experience, the options are unpaid volunteer positions, or positions that are so poorly remunerated that they might as well be unpaid. In the spring, I landed what I thought would be my dream job in The Hague, but the funding kept getting cut back, to the point that I was expected to survive on $9 000 (that's Canadian dollars, folks) for a six month period in one of the more expensive cities in the world.

:crack:

Needless to say, I'm still here in Canada. I've had to move back home with the folks, to a city I loathe. I spent the summer trying to land an articling position so I can finally become a certified lawyer, but I missed the hiring process while I was thinking I would be moving to Europe. So, I have to wait it out until the spring and compete with the new graduates, if that's the route I choose.

The most frustrating part is what to do in the meantime. Like meeganie, I'm in no man's land--under-qualified for anything I'd love to be doing, and hideously over-qualified for anything that would keep me afloat for the time being. The pinnacle of obsurdity was an interview I went to last month for a research position with an NGO. A three person interview panel for a job that would pay $8.25/hour. They were looking for a university grad with some legal experience. A real job with no pay. Something is seriously skewed with the economy when you expect that level of expertise for little more than minimum wage. (By the way, I was over-qualified for that one too.)

I'd love to move to a real city with some real prospects, but my savings are depleted. I'd love to move back to Ottawa, but I don't have the cash to move and get set up. So, I wait, here, miserable, broke, and frustrated.

Quarter life crisis in full swing.

melon said:
I'm in the mood to create an online activist organization. Anyone else interested?

I've been thinking about your post since I read it last night.

I understand your frustrations with the job market, especially after the significant education you've obtained.

No matter where you are in life, it always seems that the people above you got there because of whom they know. The idea of networking is what is sold to the masses. It takes personal relationships with key individuals.

What stuck me about the quoted material above is the word "create".

You have skills, talent, knowledge, ability, passion and drive - certainly there is something you can start up on your own. If you see something missing or wrong in the world, figure out a way to fix it and people will flock to you in support.

And keep asking questions or seeking advice. This forum has a lot of talented individuals who can help in various ways.
:up:

I have a sort of related issue.

I'm in a field which I really like and which I'm actually good at. In broad terms, I work in biomedical research. However, it is just not financially viable for me to remain at work in the public sector (I work in a research institute in one of the most renowned hospitals in the world). I could theoretically move into the pharmaceutical world and make more money, but the work there is, IMO, mindnumbing. I like research with scientists where we run our days and spend grant money as best as we know how. In the pharmaceutical industry, the only thing they care for is the bottom line, and I prefer academia. So I'm at a crossroads here, because I am considered a skilled worker, but while there is little glory in my field, there is even less money.

People who put up drywall make more money than someone with a PhD in Genetics. I swear, the more degrees you have, the less money you will make.

Oh good, it's just a quarter-life crisis, I was thinking I was only going to live to be 50. :|

This all sounds like me, too, so I won't add much more.

Danospano said:

The fact that people who are barely making ends meet are forced to work 60-80 hours per week (12-16 hours a day during the work-week), makes me sick. I'd never do that. I'd rather live in poverty than sell my short life and limited experience on this earth to help other people get rich. That's bullshit.

And for everything thinks I'm complaining; you're right! It's not out of an entitlement for some 'easy' lifestyle, it's out of an entitlement for basic human rights.

If those conservatives in the capital are serious about family values, then why not address and FIX the problem with these ridiculous hourly requirements, when the salaries barely pay the basic bills?

Revolution will save our souls. Who's going to start the process?

Amen!!! :up:

Yep, yep. This is all my life as well. I've reached the conclusion that everything sucks :wink:

Melon, I hear your pain. Also, as a side note L.A. job market sucks!! Wages are way lower all across the board. It just fucking sucks! I completely agree with your philosophies.

anitram said:
People who put up drywall make more money than someone with a PhD in Genetics. I swear, the more degrees you have, the less money you will make.

I have been advised many times NOT to get my PhD because I am much more likely to get a job with only my MA. :|

i think all the young slackers need to suck it up.

on a global scale your dramas are quite laughable.

i love u still, but not your bellyaching.
thank u,

db9

Last edited:
Yes, I'm sure most of us realize compared to the plight of others not so fortunate we really ought to suck it up and get over it, but do we really want a nation of zombies, just getting by and wasting the one life we are given? :crack:

Btw, count me in as one of the many around here with this syndrome.

diamond said:

Brilliant advice.

God knows many of us are slacking working 70 hour weeks.

i think for those who worship the 'almighty dollar' or 'recoginition from their peers', you will find a commonality in alot of the ppl who think they are suffering.

peace,
db9

frustration at not being able to find suitable employment (in my case for over a year) is not based on my worshipping the 'almighty dollar' or seeking 'recognition from my peers'. i've been lucky to have my family to catch me over the last little while, but i'd like to get a job, move out, and get on with my adult life. my problems may be small compared to others on a global scale, but they're still very real.

if i am considered 'a slacker,' it's by force, not by choice.

Last edited:
diamond said:

on a global scale your dramas are quite laughable.

i love u still, but not your bellyaching.
thank u,

db9

DB, these posts are a Confessional...while you may not entertain the fact that some of us (Interlanders) work our assess off and haven't yet seen the reward, you can't assume that they'e Bellyaching...that was pretty harsh...maybe you've chosen the wrong words or description of what you wanna say..

Think back to when we were in our 20's; life was totally different and we weren't in tune with the big picture of success...you gotta cut these kids some slack and hear them out before you assume their drama is laughable in comparison to world events...

Mr. BAW

i appreciate the grown ups that did not coddle me then -much more now.:)

going to dinner.
and i love u mr BAW, but u must steer the kids right.

peace,
diamond:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom