Profession of Faith

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I've decided to make Profession of Faith at the church I've gone to my entire life. On April 6 I go before the Elders, but I don't know what to say as far as a personal spiritual testimony. I mean, nothing major has really happened to me besides my boyfriend and my very good friend dying, both within the last year. I've grown up in a Dutch Calvinist family, community, schools, and church my entire life. I confess, I'm one of those middle-class kids who never had any major struggle in life. The only thing that's ever really put doubt in my mind as far as faith and God has been intellectual, theological stuff, and I've taken classes in college and at church so I've come to terms with what I believe and what, exactly, my church believes. So the first part of Profession, where we have to read two books, answer 13 short essay questions, and bring them to the Elders b/c they ask you two of them - this doesn't bother me b/c it's book stuff and I understand the theology and what I agree or disagree with. But as far as my testimony, I'm pretty much at a loss of what to say and I feel like if I have to sit here and think hard about it, I'd just be lying about whatever I came up with. So is it good enough to say that God has always been the Way, Truth, and Light and because of that I've been able to avoid things that lots of people struggle with in high school and college (drugs, drinking, sex, smoking, etc). I feel like such a goodie-goodie :reject: I suppose I could always use my time to preach about AIDS in Africa; I bet some of these old farts forgot Africa exists.

Good luck Liv...
my sister did her Profession of Faith two years ago... that's a very personal choice, and I think that is a proof of conviction in the things one believe...

:hug:

lore

I'm not sure if this is what you need exactly Liv, but is your position in life what has allowed you to look around, outside yourself to learn, question and ultimately answer your questions? I dont know if questions is the right word, but everything you are now is because of who you are allowed to be. Talk about your cousin and friend if this important. You wouldn't misuse them in any way so I dont think you should worry. Whatever brings you up to that point, when you are standing before them is your spiritual testimony.
Sorry this makes no sense at all lol. I can't write lately lol...Ever, actually :D
Good luck with it though!

I think every person of faith has something or a series of events that has led them to where they are. Even if you've never struggled off the path so to speak and have always had the church in your background and life there has to be something that cements your faith. Maybe it wasn't some life altering event that made you turn your life around, maybe it was just a lifetime of friends and family that have been there to support you. Not everyone has a single event that they can look back on, these may be the most enticing "Hollywood" type of testimonies, but some it's just been a growing process. Obviously you didn't have the same strength of faith at 5, an age when very little is questioned, than you do now. So maybe your faith has been a lifetime long building and growing rather than a turn around or a come back, but there is still something that made this growth possible.

Ok yes I know 5 years old are in fact very inquisitive, but how many of them do you know are questioning if their parents religion is good for them, or maybe their parents aren't religious are they questioning if they need religion. At 5 years old you are questioning why the moon seems to follow me when we're driving in the car at night or how santa comes to my house when my house doesn't have a fireplace, but their faith is that of their parents.

I agree with NBC. My Nana is a Methodist. I was still living in the city (ie where there are religious people) when I was three. No one could give me a straight answer on whos tummy God came out of etc but someone explained the mud-dinosaurs-monkeys (ie evolution) to me and thats what I stuck with. Despite my Nanas best attempts.

A lot of churches these days let kids make Profession of Faith. Many of my grade school friends did it in 3rd grade. The arguement is that "faith like a child", genuine, joyful love and curiosity for God without all of the speculation and doubt that comes with age and intellegence is becoming more and more attractive. However, even though my church (as in, my physical church, not the entire denomination) is Calvinist, we take very seriously the whole"...and subscribing to the rituals and creed of the church...yadda yadda" bit which means you've REALLY got to know your stuff before you make the step.

Could you talk about how your faith has grown? Not necessarily things you've struggled with, but things that have strengthened it and what it's motivated you to do/become more interested in(insert AIDS in Africa issue here)?

I had to do one before I was baptized (also in a Calvinist church) when I was about 16. I don't remember a single thing I said, though. :der:

Back
Top Bottom