Pre Type 2 Diabetes? Advise please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A stor

Refugee
I was wondering if anyone here has Pre Type 2? I have it.

I have always been active, never obese and eat healthy 95% of the time. But, my blood sugar is still running a little high. Does anyone have any advice or know if a person can just stay in the pre-stage and never develope diabetes? My Dr. said he doesn't think I will actually develope full blown diabetes, but I am still scared.

I am 54 years old and at my ideal body weight. I eat five to seven servings of fruit and veggies per day. I had low blood sugar in my teens and twenties. At age twenty seven, I had a diabetic pregnancy. To the point, I was hospitalized. The diabetes went away after my son was born.

My Dr. seems to think that I have had the pre stage for around eight years and my fasting levels never go above 114. Pre Type 2 does run in my family, mother's side.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice you can give me. Thanks in advance.

Are you exercising? That helps, as does keeping your stress level down (as in try not to worry too much!) I'm on a low dosage of medication and so far, so good!

The misconception is that those with diabetes are all obese, drink soda all day and eat candy all the time.

This is not necessarily the case. Carbs/Starches turn to sugar. For me, I have not problem not eating candy or drinking soda. The hard part was backing off on the rice, pasta and bread. All complex carbs that turn to sugar.

You mentioned eating 5-7 servings of fruit. Fruit is has sugar. Natural as fruit and it's sugar are, they can cause issue as well. A nutritionist would be of help. I know it was a great help to me to hear the truth about serving sizes, fruits and how various foods affect blood sugar. Who eat 1/2 a banana? But that it as much as one should have, per the 2 nutritionists that I've seen since being diagnosed.

What are you blood sugar numbers before a meal and then test again 2 hours after a meal.

My doctors tell me to be between 70-100 before and 100-150 after. If you are not doing so, you should test your blood sugar at least 3-4 times a day.

If your pre-meal/fasting is 114 and under, that isn't horrible but it can be lowered. One could do that by some of the following. Exercise will help. Getting decent sleep will help. If you snore or have apnea, this can affect your blood sugar. Stress will affect your blood sugar. All things that while not easy, can all be addressed to help lower your blood sugar.

See your doctor. Ask to see a nutritionist. Follow both of their advice. It will get you on a better road.

I do exercise on a daily basis. Walking. My weight is ideal for my age and height. BMI is at 23. I forgot about fruit containing sugars. I thought since it was a natural source it would be okay. I eat a lot of veggies. My Dr. hasn't sent me to a nutritionist. Since, I am not considered to be "Diabetic" just in the pre-stage. My insurance won't cover it.

I have been researching diets on the internet for diabetics. I can make a few changes. Bread will be the hardest since I don't eat rice or pasta. And also, my Dr. told me not to stress out over this. I have several hereditary factors for Type 2. He also told me that I may never develope diabetes. My mom, aunt, and grand mother were also in the pre stages and didn't get type 2.

I am also going to buy a test meter. My Dr. said he would test my sugar levels once per year. But, I would like to have it tested more often.

On the bright side. My blood pressure and cholesteral levels are excellent! I don't have heart disease.

Edge, you have brought up an important point. People tend to think that all diabetics are overweight. I have never been medically obese. Nor do I drink soda and eat candy all day long. I prefer carrots and spinach over Milky Ways.

Thanks again, everyone. :hug:

I do exercise on a daily basis. Walking. My weight is ideal for my age and height. BMI is at 23. I forgot about fruit containing sugars. I thought since it was a natural source it would be okay. I eat a lot of veggies. My Dr. hasn't sent me to a nutritionist. Since, I am not considered to be "Diabetic" just in the pre-stage. My insurance won't cover it.

I have been researching diets on the internet for diabetics. I can make a few changes. Bread will be the hardest since I don't eat rice or pasta. And also, my Dr. told me not to stress out over this. I have several hereditary factors for Type 2. He also told me that I may never develope diabetes. My mom, aunt, and grand mother were also in the pre stages and didn't get type 2.

I am also going to buy a test meter. My Dr. said he would test my sugar levels once per year. But, I would like to have it tested more often.

On the bright side. My blood pressure and cholesteral levels are excellent! I don't have heart disease.

Edge, you have brought up an important point. People tend to think that all
diabetics are overweight. I have never been medically obese. Nor do I drink
soda and eat candy all day long. I prefer carrots and spinach over Milky
Ways.

Thanks again, everyone. :hug:

What kind of meter are you going to buy? It's important to know what your bsl average is rather than individual readings. Plus, your level will fluctuate all over a 24 hour period and won't really help you identify a problem arising. Also remember, it can take a very long time for type 2 to finally show up. You mentioned your HbA1c being only 114 mg/dl or 6.3 mmol/l. Doctors will have a black and white cut off for starting to advise you of what might eventuate. This kind of HbA1c is really nothing out of the ordinary in everyday life. I know you're aware if this, so I do hope you don't get yourself too worked up and fearing that diabetes is just around the corner. When buying yourself a meter, you want to find one that will give you a good range of averages. Te optima exceed is a superior monitor for accuracy. It stores up to 50 readings and will give you 7, 14 and 30 day averages. To get accurate averages, perhaps chart your readings upon waking (fasting), 2 hours after breakfast, before lunch, 2 hours post lunch, before dinner and 2 hours after. If you wake around 3am, that is a good time to do an overnight test as this time is when your bsl can go through a mini spike. These individual readings will give you an accurate average and show you what you food intake does to your blood sugar. Foods can be unpredictable until you're adept at carb counting. About 15 grams of carbohydrate should be considered one serving. You ought to aim for a daily carb count of 3-4 for your main meals 1-2 per in-between snack. The 6 smaller meals per day rule is a good one. A small banana or apple equals about 1 carb. 1 slice of bread is also 1 carb.

If you're exercising, eating sensibly and are an ideal weight, I'd not worry. Meters I recommend are the optium exceed or the accuchek performa. Do not get an accuchek mobile as I find it is wildly inaccurate and gives higher than actual readings in tests conducted by everyday diabetics! It's still very new technology but I think it's a way off from suitable for production. But roche diagnostics want your money. Also, try giving the customer service department of the meter you pick a call, as they often send them out for free. They make their money off the consumables.

Good luck with it all though! You're doing great. :)

Thanks Angela. I haven't bought a meter because my Dr. said he would test my blood sugar levels once per year. My blood sugar was actually higher three years ago. Pre-menopause. It was at 125 fasting level. I have since gone through menopause and lost some weight. The Dr. seems to think that this is a very good sign and he dosen't think I will actually develope Type 2. I am active and exercise (walking) on a daily basis. I also watch what I eat by getting most of my carbs from veggies.

My cholesterol levels are excellent and so is my blood pressure. My good cholesterol is at 58. My Dr. wanted it above 40. Bp was at 107/72. I was very pleased with this because my mom had high blood pressure and had to take meds for it. I'm not taking any BP meds just a cholesterol med.

Back
Top Bottom