Prayers/crossed fingers please....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
....my friend Joe just got a new kidney! He has a disease that attacks kidneys. Originally, he was without both of his kidneys until he got his first transplant from an aunt. After time, his body attacked that kidney and then he went for years with no kidneys. I can't really remember a time he wasn't doing his own dialisis (sp?) four times a day. He always tells the little kids he hasn't peed in years! He's had trouble with other infections, which have prevented him from getting the new kidney because they won't do the surgery unless you're in perfect health. This morning he finally got the new kidney from his mother-in-law and it looks like blood is going into it. Hopefully he won't have any rejection complications. We're also hoping that the technology will be so advanced by the time the disease kills this new kidney that he can get a fake kidney.

Well so far, so good, but please keep him in mind as it will be a long recovery in order to keep infections and rejection away.

"Operation Kidney Transplant Success! The surgeon just came in and told us that both Joe and my mom are in recovery. Joe's new kidney has already produced 2 liters of urine!! My mom is out of recovery, and Joe will hopefully be out of recovery in a couple of hours. Praise God!"

Best of luck for him during the recovery and longterm and best of luck to the researchers out there. :)

crossfingers.gif

Wow, this is some serious stuff. My thoughts and good wishes and prayers are certainly out there for Joe, your mom and I hope long term they will be healthy and happy.

Carek1230 said:
Wow, this is some serious stuff. My thoughts and good wishes and prayers are certainly out there for Joe, your mom and I hope long term they will be healthy and happy.

Thanks for all the kind words! He's doing very well, currently living in the "transplant" housing at Mayo.

I should clarify that it's not my mom's kidney, it's Joe's mother-in-law's. The bit I quoted earlier was from Joe's wife. We're all just family friends who've known each other our entire lives. Although I'm sure my mom would give him her kidney if she was a match.

It's kind of interesting to me since I don't know a lot about medical stuff. They figured that the first transplant was attacked so fast because they found such a perfect match (I thought it was his aunt at first, but it was his dad, I remember now). This time, they used Joe's mom-in-law because she is a less perfect match and they are hoping the disease will be less likely to attack this kidney. They've also used two people considerably older than Joe because while his sisters are matches, they need to save the younger kidneys for later if a fake kidney is not invented.

nbcrusader said:
Is Joe doing better today?

I think so, I'll check for the latest...

February 25, 2006 at 11:26 AM EST

Joe is doing pretty good too. He is struggling with some high blood pressure, but the doctors are working with it and are giving him more medications for it. His creatinine slid down a little more again today to 2.8.

17 February 24, 2006 at 01:17 PM EST

The nurses unhooked Joe from all of his I.V.'s. He got up today and took a shower and went for a couple of walks. The doctors continue to bring good reports to us. When Joe got here before the transplant, his creatinine level (which measures the toxins in his body) was at 16. After the transplant, the number went down to 8. Today it went down to 3.8!! And the doctors expect it to get down even more. They said a healthy number would be about 0.9 or 1. So the kidney is working REALLY well!

:up:

I'm going to Gulf Shores, Alabama for my family's spring break and Joe's family (including Joe, unless there's a problem) will be there too. So soon we'll get a week's worth of good relaxation in the sun :D

Back
Top Bottom