Posting Angst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renne

War Child
Does anyone else ever suffer from this?

You know, when you go to reply to someone's thread/post/comment or journal/blog entry, and you suddenly think "What am I doing? Why am I saying this? Why do I think they care? I bet they all go 'Oh noes, [username] is posting again, I wish s/he/it would just STFU'!" and of course, by now you're so overcome with paranoia you delete what you've written and close the window/tab, thinking that yes, it probably was for the best that you didn't post.

Or then there is angsting over actually clicking to post. You've crafted your words to the best of your ability, or maybe you haven't. Maybe they're just throwaway words put together in a pleasing pattern. But either way you're ready - theoretically - to post them. You're previewed them half a dozen times, sure that you've finally got what you want to say down. Your mouse cursor hovers over the 'submit reply' or 'post' button, and suddenly you're angsting about what the hell you think you're doing, as if anything you might say would contribute to the discussion! And so you don't post them, because really, you think, who cares apart from you?

And then you do post, and you cringe and hate it and wish that you could or would delete it, or maybe that you hadn't even posted in the first place, because you know people are going to think you're an idiot. Or something like that.

I know it happens to me a lot. Probably part of the reason why I lurked for as long as I did before I even registered. Mmm... paranoia.

And even now I'm angsting over whether or not I should post this, because I am just that predictable. :hmm:

Last edited:
You know, when you go to reply to someone's thread/post/comment or journal/blog entry, and you suddenly think "What am I doing? Why am I saying this? Why do I think they care? I bet they all go 'Oh noes, [username] is posting again, I wish s/he/it would just STFU'!" and of course, by now you're so overcome with paranoia you delete what you've written and close the window/tab, thinking that yes, it probably was for the best that you didn't post.

I just did this 5 seconds ago :lol:

Or you post what you wrote and spend the next 20 minutes lurking to see a response finally realizing that you made a dumb as dirt comment - only to then edit it and find that once the change is saved your crappy original has been quoted and leads to a barrage of dodgness against you - I wouldn't know a thing about that :wink:

lol.

or you log off, go to bed, try to sleep, get up, log back on, reread the post, contemplate deleting it, decide against it, log off, go back to bed, try to sleep, get up, log on, reread the post, contemplate contacting a mod to delete the post, decide against it, log off, go back to bed, wake up the next morning to find no one even noticed you posted in that thread. :|

I think everyone has posting paranoia. You'll eventually get used to it and start rambling on and on and on and on and...

Or you can have your computer circumventing your angst like mine did just then and not letting you post. Yay my computer!

I'm so glad I'm not alone.
Like I've said before, it took me 4 years to find the courage to actually post...

beli said:
lol.

or you log off, go to bed, try to sleep, get up, log back on, reread the post, contemplate deleting it, decide against it, log off, go back to bed, try to sleep, get up, log on, reread the post, contemplate contacting a mod to delete the post, decide against it, log off, go back to bed, wake up the next morning to find no one even noticed you posted in that thread. :|

This is one of the funniest things I have ever read on here.

Now I know how to get soda to come out of my nose.

(Because that's exactly what happened when I read your post).:up:

And then there's the whole "Am I interupting a private joke" thingie as well...:uhoh:
And the almost 23,000+ people reading your post...
:ohmy:
And the permanent typos, of which I think I now have the most in the shortest amount of time...
:yikes:

:yes: :hug:
I think that everyone feels this way at one point or another
but since everyone who has posted in this thread is freakishly cool I always read their posts :)

There are certain posters where, no matter what you write, funny or serious, you just won't get a response or for that matter, even an acknowledgement...I tend to try to stay away from those...they seem content in their own closed world.....

Obviously none in this thread 'cause I'm here. :)

heh I worry about posts all the time, especially in Dream Out Loud. As FYM goes, I don't even post there now cuz I always come out mad....I hate being mad!

wow, I'm the queen of babbling tonight.

*thinks about not posting but posts anyway in spite of herself*

U2dork said:
And then there's the whole "Am I interupting a private joke" thingie as well...:uhoh:
And the almost 23,000+ people reading your post...
:ohmy:
And the permanent typos, of which I think I now have the most in the shortest amount of time...
:yikes:

23,000+ people reading my posts about nothing in randooom :ohmy: :yikes: Now that's scary.

You can come hang out with us in randooom anytime. We just talk about nothing :| Seriously. Half of my posts in there are because I'm too lazy to log in under my journal name and post an entry and I feel the need to share my day with Kariann and Schmeg so I just do it in randoooom. :reject:

U2dork said:

oh man, yeah!

Or you comment and wonder if people are making fun of you! :huh:

Augh, I sound so paranoid I'm sure people wonder why I even post in the first place!

Well, I'm an opinionated bitch, so I post anyway! But I do occasionally wish the morning after a late night posting frenzy that I could edit the blasted things! I also post on several much smaller boards, and they allow unlimited editing...the one hour limit sometimes causes me stress here, but I'm learning to deal with that.

That's the reason why I rarely post here!

I keep telling myself, you know its only the Internet, nobody can see you, no one knows who you are, its only words on a screen, it would be forgotten, go for it! But still...

Back
Top Bottom