Post tramatic Stress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Dis :wave: I'm also sorry to hear about this and really can't give too much advice except that sometimes it does help just to know you're not alone. I also went thru an emergency c-section and it is a scarey thing when you see that your doctors and nurses look scared. (That baby is a healthy 18 year old now tho so it all worked out!) It always surprises me just how many of us have had similar experiences, but it also makes you feel not so alone. Although I didn't get my post-traumatic stress from that experience, but from a car accident years later... it took some time, but it did go away. Just know your not alone and it will get better! :hug:

bonocomet said:
Hey Dis :wave: I'm also sorry to hear about this and really can't give too much advice except that sometimes it does help just to know you're not alone. I also went thru an emergency c-section and it is a scarey thing when you see that your doctors and nurses look scared. (That baby is a healthy 18 year old now tho so it all worked out!) It always surprises me just how many of us have had similar experiences, but it also makes you feel not so alone. Although I didn't get my post-traumatic stress from that experience, but from a car accident years later... it took some time, but it did go away. Just know your not alone and it will get better! :hug:

thanks bonocomet:hug: yes it does help to know we are not alone:hug: I'm glad everything worked out in your case too:hug:

yeah, seeing the people scared who are in charge or your life at the moment is upsetting. My poor nurse:( I felt bad for him.

Dismantled said:

thats awful:( really awful.

i am a paraeducator in a highschool and work closely with kids. Some are from other states and countries so they kinda use me as their guardian and the person they turn to for advice or just a shoulder to cry on....I couldn't imagine losing one like that.

I'm sorry you did and I'm sorry for what happened at your school.

Thanks Dis, that is very kind of you. It really means a lot. :hug:

i had something to share about PTSD, but i just want to give :hug: all around to these incredible brave mothers (and to Mia).

Irvine511 said:
i had something to share about PTSD, but i just want to give :hug: all around to these incredible brave mothers (and to Mia).

feel free to share Irvine and thanks:hug:

Dismantled, so sorry to hear you are suffering from PTSD... :(

I had this too, it was caused when a lot of crazy things were happening in my life... Insomnia, nightmares, feeling emotionally 'loco', moodswings and whatnot... I hope you have people who you can share this with, because going through something like this alone is horrible :no: Hang in there, and if you ever want to talk to somebody (although I might not know everything about the way you are feeling right now), I'm here for you :hug:

:hug: to all the other people who are suffering from it right now or have suffered from it :heart:

Thanks JS:hug:

sorry you went through it too:( yes I do have lots of people I can share it with...it's just the sharing part that is hard for me but I am starting too and it's getting better. My husband is wonderfully understanding(he was also right there and may have a touch of it himself) and so is my family, if not then I don't know what I would do...it would suck to be alone...I feel for people who are.

!!

love2bmama said:
Dis, have you talked to your midwife about this? I wonder if that would help you, or maybe she would be able to shed some light on what happened and why. Just a thought....

NO and I don't want to...I had to call her a couple weeks ago due to bleeding...she really didn't even remember who I was..then when she did I think she felt stupid. I told her what was happening with me and she said "unless we see a clot the size of a softball I'm not impressed"...that's not an answer!!!..I was calling because bright red bleeding returned at week 9, I was concerned and was told to call if this happens.

Well, I do and don't want to talk to her....the mistake was she thought he was head down and he wasn't, he never was. I can kinda understand and I don't blame her for anything. I just don't understand her attitude towards us...but I guess she's like that with others, I know other woman who switched to an OB because of her. During labor she acted like I was just being ridiculous...even my nurse George was trying to get her to pay attention to me I think...she kept snapping at him..only when did the high risk guy come in did she start paying attention.

The next day she came into my hospital room kinda sheepish acting...but didn't really say anything. Even George gave me a hug and said he was so sorry.. The other midwife who I like said she was sorry that happened she couldn't believe it. Actually I was quite the news in the hospital..everyone knew what was going on and they felt bad:lol: they probably all heard me. It's a small 100 bed hospital.

I don't blame anyone, it's medicine..things happen like this..I just wish she cared more or something...i don't really know.

Last edited:
I just am mad at her because it could have ended so badly so easily...she had such a slack ass attitude.

It wasn't easy hearing the OR nurses say good thing he was a strong baby or else...the were NOT impressed at all.

love2bmama said:
:sad: that sucks, Dis. I don't understand how she can have that kind of attitude and do the job she does. I'm sorry. :hug:

I know.

I lost faith with her totally. I'm going with the OB who did my C-section next time. I cannot trust her and will NOT let anything like that happen to a child of mine again if I can help it.

Dismantled said:
I just am mad at her because it could have ended so badly so easily...she had such a slack ass attitude.

It wasn't easy hearing the OR nurses say good thing he was a strong baby or else...the were NOT impressed at all.

that is horrible, I'm surprised she hasn't lost babies and/or moms with that kind of poor care and lack of attention. All the midwives I've met have been wonderful, but I've heard some horror stories, too.
I don't blame you for not wanting to talk to her, can't believe she didn't even remember who you were! :madspit:

love2bmama said:

that is horrible, I'm surprised she hasn't lost babies and/or moms with that kind of poor care and lack of attention. All the midwives I've met have been wonderful, but I've heard some horror stories, too.
I don't blame you for not wanting to talk to her, can't believe she didn't even remember who you were! :madspit:

yeah...they dont' deal with that many people..where i come from is super small...plus I've been seeing them for the past year.:| kinda made me feel like crap.

I'm sure there are some wonderful midwives out there, I know there are. It's just me...once my trust in something like that is broken I can never get it back.

Thanks for the support Molly:hug:

Thanks everyone for your comments. :)

Unico and anitram, I can't imagine what you have both gone through except that that kind of fear which leaves you feeling permanently cold must be crippling. I can't imagine getting through it as well as you seem to. I hope it starts getting easier soon, unico. It's in light of your stories that I kind of feel I don't have a right to reply in here because your stories are so much more distressing and traumatic. All I have left is a really poor recollection of my daughter's first few weeks and an idea that that was the weirdest most disconnected and disjointed time of my life to date.

I'm glad you have 4 beautiful babes, love2bmama, and that in the end everything was ok in the end - in that you are all healthy and well now.

Dismantled, take care. :hug:

Unico, I'm sorry for your loss, too. :hug:

anitram said:
My main problem was insomnia, which has stayed with me to this day.

I second this. I got ptsd from something that was between an assault and an accident in fall 2005 and I think I got over almost all of it by last fall, except awful insomnia and sometimes the inability to concentrate on "real" stuff (work, school, etc that involves using my brain) as opposed to escapism stuff (uh...forum posting, tv marathons, etc). I really don't like this about myself, I used to set a goal and achieve it, and now I seem sort of self-destructive, like some part of me is trying to make me fail or less successful.

It sucks. group :hug: Time is definately good, and for me too u2 was important - I was already a ridiculous fan but I started listening to shows online and went ot a few more that fall that made me really happy and got way more into bootlegs than I ever had been. What also helped me was a really understanding amazing boyfriend I got together with right after the accident, however, as I recovered and became less needy and more myself our relationship deteriorated; poor guy, I wasn't quite who he needed me to be in the relationship anymore, and I was overjoyed at the change in myself but he was losing me and couldn't understand it. (I broke up with him a few months ago.)

I agree with anitram that it was very hard to live in a world where everyone else was OK and didn't seem to understand what I was going through. Some of my friends were pretty good about it but after a while it seemed like they thought I should have gotten over it and I was very angry and isolated by this - who were they to assume, or to imply that they could do better when it hadn't happened to them so they couldn't know how they would react cause I never thought I would have wallowed in it either. I remember finally exploding at one friend who seemed to think I was milking what happened for all it was worth after he made a snide comment - I think I have just now gotten over feeling like there's hostility between us. The ex boyfriend was really the only one who was supportive.

Something that really, really helped me was accupressure, a kind of massage. I was getting it for free from my school because of the physical damage the accident had done and the school's fear of liability. It was so relaxing mentally and helped me with the physical pain which of course helped mentally. If you can afford it I highly recommend trying accupressure or some other sort of deep-relaxing massage. It is just nice to let go of it all and let your muscles relax for a little while even though sometimes especially because of the insomnia I'd be tense again in a few hours.

Because what happened to me was kind of public knowledge at a very small school I do still get really tense and uncomfortable when I meet a new person and they say "oh you're the girl who...." Right guys, thanks.

Mia, :hug: I'll always remember that day, there was a power outage at my school and everyone was bitching about it and then I finally got onto a computer with a little battery and spent hours just shocked at what was going on while we were fretting about writing papers without power. I think that others around you are reacting in the only ways they can, even if it means making jokes, that's how some people deal with it - either actually laughing it off horrible as that is, or supressing it and having to maybe face it later on. The awful thing is that within the community, some people's reactions like that will make others feel worse. I'm so sorry.

Dis, have you thought about reporting this midwife? I certainly wouldn't feel safe going to her, neither do you... but of course don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable.

:hug:S to all who have suffered PTSD in it's various forms......

I've had it, too, for serveral different experiences [not crime-related, thank goodness].
most of mine were tied to specific places/or events that were happening at that time.

One took me about 3 yrs to totally feel safe being in that area again....

I didn't even realize that I HAD that one until one night with friends we were on our way in a car to a concert half a mile east of the area I had trouble in,and even though it was at night and I wasn't looking at any street signs, I satrted to get real shivery & scared without knowing why ........
.....until i finally saw a street sign.
I had to use brerasthing exercises and a homoeompathic remedy to help calm me down.

I'd feel sick when i was 2 blocks east and passing by the area on a bus......again it happened out of the blue because i'd been riding that bus for years, so it didn't occur to me might have a reactionh. I had to close my eyes till we passed the area.

Over time I was able to do a desensitization process to slowly make me feel safe in the area again.

ANd now I'm in that area alot with out a problem.

I do have some lingering effects from an even bigger PTSD expereince, so it hinders me under certain specific but only very occasionally so far......and compared to where i was I'm like 10,000 X's better. :happy:

but something like your besides time......... there probably are some homeopathic Flower Essenses Bach & the other kind that might help some of your symptoms Dis, or anyone else..........

Well, I'm dredging up this thread because I'm having a bit of a relapse or whatever you'd call it. I just found out that basically the conditions that led to the incident that injured me, which my university said they'd never allow again, have been reallowed, and i'm really angry and betrayed and hurt by this and mostly the more i think about it the more i get that jittery shakey re-living it feeling.

:(

oh no that's shitty.........

definatley be talking to people you feel safe with.. Then see if there's anyone that's I guess part of the chain of info/reaction so as Amy said to voice you protest..

Try to do the slow belly breath thing...it tricks one of the 2 types of nevous systems we have ( paraSYMPATHETC & SYMPATHETIC) into thinking you are safe- and THAT will ease the physcial PTSD type symptoms.

:hug: good luck!

Back
Top Bottom