people who don't vote really chafe my chaps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screaming Flower

ONE love, blood, life
my apartment building is a polling place. i was just down there and there was a guy who had to be 85 in a wheelchair voting. he was rather infirm and was having all sorts of trouble, yet that obviously didn't stop him. at the same time, i have friends who aren't going to vote because they either don't give a damn or "don't know enough about the issues." :rolleyes: give me a break. take ten minutes out of your day and check out the news and see what the hell is going on in the world. i am thoroughly umimpressed with the majority of candidates in my state, yet that really isn't a good enough reason to not vote. if anything, i'm earning my right to bitch about the state of my country. people of my generation wonder why the hell politicians don't pay any attention to issues that we care about. um, maybe because our voter turnout is so freaking horrendous that we have ZERO impact on the results. :mad: you would think that after 9/11 people would actually value their democracy a little more. i guess not.

[/rant]

I voted this morning :hyper:

Although the campaign for NY Gov has been nothing but a mudslinging fest on par with Jerry Springer I voted for the least sleezy one.

The way I see it, if you don't vote, you have no right to complain how the government is run.

the polls are slanted

Screaming Flower said:
you would think that after 9/11 people would actually value their democracy a little more. i guess not.

[/rant]

i agree.

but all the research ive been reading has stated that stock market scandals and the like are more likely to jade than 9/11 is to bring peeps together at this point.

i just finished a research paper on low voter turnout. canada has seen it drop from 75.3 for 80s provincial elections to about 62% last time around. US is way worse than that even. it sucks.

____home______
__:slant:___________
___:slant:__________
__:slant:___________
____:slant:_________
_______:slant:______
_____:slant:________
__________polls_

Last edited:
diamond said:
Sometimes I have to vote to cancel out all other votes that oppose mine:| :sexywink:

thank u-
DB9
:dance:

Exactly! :wink:

I actually did an absentee voter ballot cuz I knew I would be at school all day - 7:30am to 10:00pm to be precise......:banghead:

You wear chaps?

What about us who are too young to vote :O

Anyways, my beef with voting is this: People who dont vote and then bitch about whos in office fucking up the country/province/state/city/whatever. If you dont vote, you have no right to complain, because your one vote COULD have made the difference. People who do vote have the right to complain, because if the person they voted for wins, and then doesnt represent them in the way they had hoped, they can at least say 'damn him for not representing my ideals like hes supposed to! for the majority of the public my ass!'.

If you dont know the "issues", or you do know the issues and dont know who is 'better' - vote for the one who is most likely to do the least damage.

Anyways, Im 17 and Canadian so what does it matter... Yet for some reason US election day is marked on my calender... Made in usa? aw crap! *watches calender fall apart*

:p

_________
:wave: You 'Mericans are alllllllright

Last edited:
i only wear chaps on election day

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
What about us who are too young to vote :O

i'll let it slide this time crayon boy. but only because you're in with the boofus. :wave:

i voted the way my shop steward told me to, and for free cigs!!:wave:

I agree that not voting is kind of lame, even though in the past I have been pissed at the choices and exercised my right not to vote and been on the receiving end of people's judgment. And that's one of the great things about America--we have the freedom to vote, and the freedom not to vote.

I.......was so excited.......that today was Ryan Adams's birthday.....and the day we finally got U2's Best Of (I got there right when they opened, and the U2 section is close to the entry, so I was in and out in like 3 minutes)......that I, um, didn't go vote....:uhoh: :reject:

I don't even know how to get to where my voting location is...and I don't know when I would have had time cuz I've been stuck at this stupid college all day...:crack: :scream:

Tuesdays suck...but I am surprisingly happy. :wave:

at first i thought you were messing with me and i was going to :sad: and then eat your brains for dinner.

and then i realized what you really meant. :der:

congrats! and you didn't even have to vote! :D :up:

I had a busy day today but I still made sure to go and vote. It was an important election here in Seattle because we have an initiative to build a monorail and I had to vote yes. I told myself that I was not allowed to buy the best of cd until after I voted. The cd was my reward.

Well I guess I'm a :reject: then because I have never voted nor care too.

But I dont complain about the government.

Yeah that would be great but what if it was and a lot of people dont follow politics or dont even know what they're voting for. That could hurt more than it could help.

Aye thats true Sicy. We have compulsory voting here, and unless someone can set me straight, I always had the understanding it was due to us only having a population of roughly 18-19 million - so every vote counts. We need every single vote. Not sure what the actual population count is at now...but you lot clearly have kazillions more people, so I guess you get enough willing voters....but anyways, what I'm trying to say is lol, that even with our small population, not everyone is aware, we dont all read the papers, watch the news...we aren't more in the know or anything like that in regard to issues the politicians deal with. But it works here. if people dont want to vote, they pay a fine or vote 'donkey'. 'Donkey' being a void vote.

the psychic says i'll be back there employed again....

damn absentee ballots didn't give me enough time to excercise my typical procrastination and get it in in enough time...:rant: :shrug:

Over my dead body!!!!!!! :mad:

jkayet said:
damn absentee ballots didn't give me enough time to excercise my typical procrastination and get it in in enough time...:rant: :shrug:

You got an absentee ballot???

And, NO. You are NOT coming back to work in politics. :mad: :no: :sad:

I'd be afraid to go to a psychic because I'm afraid they'd tell me all kinds of bad things. :slant:

I don't understand not voting.:scratch:

Even when I don't like any of the choices, I thank God that I have a choice at all.

I became a US citizen after living in here for all my life in April of 2000. Every year around election day, everyone would ask me (mostly co-workers) "did you vote yet" and of course I would say no, and then people were like, why not its your civic duty, you should vote, etc. So I had to explain that I couldn't vote because I'm not a US citizen, blah, blah, blah. I hated that becuase then all the other questions would start "you're not!, why?, "are you an illegal alien" etc. It was very annoying and intrusive at times, I had to tell my story over and over.

Anyway, I finally voted in November of 2000. And we all remember what happened that year with the presidential election! But at least now I can proudly say "YES I VOTED!"

although i did vote many times before over the years...i didnt vote this year. im not the type of person to complain about the government or anything, maybe the issues...i didn't pay much attention to politics this past year due to my not watching tv for a long period of time...and thats how i got my news on politics, etc...i need to understand and know what the issues are at hand, and i think if i voted on something i didnt understand and i ended up voting for something that got passed and i didnt like it, i would be feeling pretty stupid. but because i didnt vote, i can't complain for the next four years.

Re: the polls are slanted

kobayashi said:
i just finished a research paper on low voter turnout. canada has seen it drop from 75.3 for 80s provincial elections to about 62% last time around. US is way worse than that even. it sucks.

I think the voter turnout for the election yesterday was about 37%. That's just sad.

Back
Top Bottom