Parents split up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacHat

Refugee
Well my year's gotten off to a crap start.
Mum rang me last night and informed me her and dad are splitting up, after 22 years of marriage. She said that they'd just grown apart and I'd seen that happening for a while, but it's still surprising, y'know?
I'm 21 and living away from home, so I don't have to deal with the stress of who's living with whom etc. But I'm still pretty down in the dumps about it :| .
Anyone been in a similar situation? Got any advice for dealing with this? I need a bit of support cos it's pretty sad.

Anyway, just needed toget that off my chest, it's gonna be weird
having them no longer together, but it's for the best in the end *sigh*.

Mum said they're gonna stay friends, it's just better that they're apart from now on.

I'd rather have them apart and happy than together and ending up hating each other.

Same happened to me when I was 21:| I know how you feel:hug: if you ever wanna talk about things here I will be more than willing to listen and just talk:hug:

:hug: :hug:

They're ringing tonight so I can talk more to them about it, which should be good.
One thing that weirds me out a bit is that they're selling the house, which I grew up in :huh: . But hopefully I'll get over that later, it's just a weird thought, that the house I grew up in wont be there for me to stay in when I go home!

Im sorry about your parent's MacHat and about your childhood home :hug: Sure it will be hard to see the place of so many memories have new occupants. I hope everything turns out well when everything is said and done.

Yeah, I think in the end things will work out, but it's gonna be a little strange for a time while they work out their seperate lives and such.

Wow, my heart goes out to you. I hope you can work through it and altho it hurts and yea, 22 yrs is a long time to be married, I can tell you love both your parents and want to stay loyal to each of them. I hope it's amicable and not one of those nasty split ups, where the folks will be tugging you in 2 different directions.

Just try to understand and love each unconditionally as they do you. Sellign the childhood home will be difficult, and it will take some getting used to visiting the parents at their individual respective homes, but sometimes being a grown up and being dealt some of this stuff isn't all that fun.

My dad left my mom 2 days after my wedding while I was on my honeymoon. Dad had been having an affair and my sister and I knew about it. It was shocking, it was horrible. I hated my father. I hated the woman he was with even more especially when she would call me all drunk trying to tell me my father loved me and missed me and inviting me over. Meanwhile my mother was hysterical and in a really bad state emotionally. My sister was still at home and would call me at all hours to come talk mom out of the bathroom where she'd locked herself, or to make mom eat....it was 18 mos of this but my folks actually got back together and were very happy. Unfortunately my father passed away at age 58, 3 days shy of his 59th birthday. Now that I look back all I could really do was hope they were happy in their choices and love them. I wish I'd spent more time with my dad.

Good luck to you and know you can count on support here. :hug:

Thanks Carek :hug:
I'm sorry you didn't get to spend more time with your dad :hug:.

I talked to the folks on the phone tonight, they seem to be okay, they're still both going to my cousin's wedding at the end of the month. It'll take a while, but I think things will work out for the both of them in the end.

Back
Top Bottom