Our Father Needs Your Prayers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rick, that story brought back memories of the home my great grandmother was in years ago. I think it is a good thing you were there and demanded attention AND GOT IT! I feel badly that you are going through so much. Did your father react to the golf hat? That was a sweet thought. Anyway my continued prayers are with you all especially with your father. The support will help keep you strong through this ordeal. :hug:

Rick, you've certainly had some drastic highs & lows since I last checked in here but I think you're handling it perfectly. I've always heard "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" & nowhere does that seem to be truer than in a long-term care facilities. I know with both of my grandparents who were in homes, I always got the impression their care was better (or at least not AS negligent) than those residents whose family didn't visit on a regular basis. And when we did have an issue, it seemed we got less run-around when the staff was familiar with us. Point is, when a family doesn't care enough to see that their loved one is getting proper treatment, the staff of these facilities very seldom will step in as surrogates.

It's a huge responsibility Rick & comes with lots of headache & heartache (which you've already found out) but you're doing a super job - I'm sure your Dad not only realizes that, but he appreciates it more than he could ever tell you.

I continue to pray for peace, comfort & strength for all of you. :hug:

Mr. BAW, you are such an awesome person. You and your family are still in my prayers. :hug: I'm glad that your dad has some peace of mind in his own room. It certainly makes me treasure every moment I have with my dad.

BAW and I visited Dad last week before our abbreviated "trip" to Oregon and again yesterday, Friday. In that 10 day period, its safe and honest to say that my father is in decline. He has lost a lot of weight despite the fact that he is eating, its just the disease taking its toll. His memory fades in and out but he still recognizes us from the moment he sees us.

Yesterday, we visited and we were joined by our niece; we walked Dad in his wheelchair and everyone of the other patients that we passed, Dad was raise his hands and say, "Halt!...this is my son Rick and his wife and their daughter (our niece but he didn't know...)" This went on countless times and it was quite humbling to see how proud he is of his family to introduce us to everyone and anyone.

I'm disappointed in the Hospice care that he receives; a number of calls to his Social worker result in the expected mumbo-jumo answers that serve the moment's purpose and nothing more...for example, we arrived yesterday for find him in a deep sleep but gasping for air; turns out his oxygen tank was empty!

Dad is bi-lingual; he speaks English to us and immediately kicks into Spanish with the nurses and staff; he makes funny comments and references to "dancing with the girls cause they have round bottoms!" He laughed a few times, it was quite warming to see. We rolled him to his dinner area and he grabbed me once again; he reminded me that he will see us again as he held my hand...as we slowly walked from the table, he said in a very proud voice, "That's my son Rick!"

Yes, Dad's still with us; he'll have more visitors today and tomorrow as my older sister and brother are in the area ... we're back home due to my injuries and the fact that I did not want to face weekend Palm Springs traffic...

I continue to plea for your continued prayer; he's a good man, he's a strong man and his pledge to "fight this angry disease" continues..we read your thoughts as they come in...we thank you so much...

from,

BAW's, Doozer, DMP and the rest......:hug:

Thanks for keeping us apprised of your father's status. Of course we are all thinking about you all and what you are going through. Continued thoughts and prayers.

I'll probably be offline for a few days and unable to read updates, but I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. :hug:

Remember to accept whatever quality moments you can get, Rick, no matter how sporadic they may come or how insignificant they may seem. I know firsthand now that those things are what will get you through when your Dad's gone... the good times that made knowing him & loving him so worthwhile. :hug:

We're going to Palm Springs this weekend; an unplanned getaway just to clear our minds of a lot....we're gonna visit Dad; I spoke with him via cellphone tonight,,,his wife held his phone to his ear and told him to say "hello to Ricardo''''....he knew better, he yelled "Hi son; where have you been?"

I'll spend some jeweled time with him this weekend...:heart: Any messages from anyone???? :)

Back
Top Bottom