One Of My Cats Is Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hug:

Please don't beat yourself up about not taking him to the vet. You had no way of knowing when exactly he was going to die.

(the part about Chloe and him meowing strange was just horrible to read...) :(

Oh my god! :sad:

U2girl is right- don't beat yourself up about not taking him to the vet. I mean, you were planning on taking him there later today.

:hug:BC:hug:

U2girl said:

(the part about Chloe and him meowing strange was just horrible to read...) :(

Chloe is really upset now...I had laid some towels out on my bed to wrap him in. I laid him down, and Chloe came over and sniffed him. I tried to pet her, but she bit my hand and hissed at me. Then she just sat and kept crying. I've got Tommy wrapped up and sitting on my lap right now...I don't know what to do with him...I feel funny just setting him down somewhere...I'm waiting for Dad to get home. Chloe keeps walking by me and hissing. I think she thinks I did something bad. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Last edited:
Jesus.. cant you call the shelter or vet or someone to pick him up??

Or call your dad to come home early??

:sad:

Okay...I'm sorry...I've calmed down a little now.

I wrapped him in another towel and laid him down for now. Dad should be home within the next hour.

I guess I knew that this was coming, but it was just such a shock to find him dead in the basement. I needed to do some studying for my new job, so I thought I'd sit down by him while I did it. I brought my books down there and sat down next to him on the floor...I thought he was sleeping. But when I put my hand on him to pet him, he was cold. :sad:

All of our cats and dogs in the past that have left us had to be put to sleep...we've never discovered one of them dead. It was a shock.

Thanks for everything though, everybody...it's appreciated.....:hug:

Chloe is still giving me a little kitty growl when I go near her. :sad: She just lost her best friend though...so I guess it's understandable. I just hope she doesn't hold it against me. Kitties are just like people...except that they are sweeter, more innocent, and have a harder time understanding things.

Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry you found him like that :( I was guessing that the vet would recommend putting him to sleep tonight, but I thought you'd at least have that much time to get him there.....

Poor Chloe, she'll need some time, don't take it personally :hug:

Chloe will feel better in a few days.. or when Tommy is out of the house.. dont worry. :hug:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine.
Our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and were old have been restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by.
The animals are happy except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who has been left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted and when you and your special friend meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. . .

You then cross Rainbow Bridge together.

Oh...this pic is one of my favorites...from the gathering at my house...

Tiff (Ali Rose) & Tommy, April & Chloe, Me & Whiskers:

3369%3A43923232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2326%3D935%3D%3B96%3Dxroqdf%3E2323352638%3B83ot1lsi

Tiff loved Tommy so much too...he was always such a shy kitty, but he really took a liking to Tiff...:sad:

Kat I'm so so sorry. :sad: Cats always know when it's time and often find a quiet place to be alone when it's time. I'm sure he was sleeping when he became an :angel:

Kat, I'm so sorry about Tommy. We were just talking about him last night. Pelase let me know if there is anything I can do for ya. I'll say a lil prayer in the meantime. :hug:

The vet had asked us last week if it was possible that Tommy had feline leukemia...if he had ever been tested. Our old vet back home used to give him feline leukemia booster shots, and they only give those shots if he's been tested. Adding that to the fact that he has remained indoors, we ruled that out. HOWEVER...the lady who originally adopted him from the shelter was a friend of my mom's. We ended up taking Tommy when she didn't want him anymore. She was the one who had had him tested for feline leukemia...but a little fact that wasn't mentioned was that she LET HIM GO OUTSIDE all of the time after he was tested. :| :| :| Moron. He may have contracted leukemia back then and had it all this time.

God, I hate people. :mad:

I scanned a couple pictures...I miss him...

Chloe & Tommy...the little buddies...

3369%3A47523232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2326%3D935%3D%3B96%3Dxroqdf%3E23233795%3A%3C2%3B4ot1lsi

My sister & Tommy:

3369%3A47523232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2326%3D935%3D%3B96%3Dxroqdf%3E23233795%3A%3C2%3B5ot1lsi

Feline Leukemia can be really tricky unfortunately, we always recommended doing one test and then a second one 3 months later, just to make sure they were really negative (they may have been exposed just prior to the first test and not be positive yet). But not everyone does that, and even the vaccines are not 100% effective. I felt bad a few months ago when my cousin's cat had cancer and they didn't realize til almost the end that Fel Leuk was involved - I knew the cat was an indoor only cat, but didn't realize there was another cat around that spent 90% of the time outdoors but they occasionally let it in the house - and that's how the indoor-only kitty got it :( Before this, when we were examining a new patient and the owner said the cat has never been outside, we didn't worry about them - but owners may not realize that they can be at risk if they are in contact with cats that go in and out.

Blah, sorry, this doesn't really help you Kat, just my public service announcement so other people know to be aware of it :hug:

Oh Katherine, I?m SO sorry. :hug:

When our sweet dally, Alex, died at home, we wrapped him in 101 Dalmatian sheets before taking him to the vet. He wasn?t sick, just old. I think he liked dying at his home, lying on his favorite spot. His "wife" Annie cried for days, but she got better and has a new friend now.

RIP Tommy :sad:

3369878323232%7Ffp69%3Dot%3E2326%3D935%3D%3B96%3Dxroqdf%3E2323373%3C572%3B2ot1lsi

Bonochick, I am so sorry :sad: :hug:
Please don't think this is cheesy, but the lyrics to "Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion were really cathartic for me when my best friend, a little doggy named Shasta, passed away. I cried my eyes out reading those lyrics, it doesn't matter whether you read it as you loving Tommy, or Tommy loving you, I think it's fitting either way.
Here are the lyrics:

Because you loved me

For all those times you stood by me
For all the truth that you made me see
For all the joy you brought to my life
For all the wrong that you made right
For every dream you made come true
For all the love I found in you
I'll be forever thankful baby
You're the one who held me up
Never let me fall
You're the one who saw me through through it all

You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak
You were my eyes when I couldn't see
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach
You gave me faith 'coz you believed
I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

You gave me wings and made me fly
You touched my hand I could touch the sky
I lost my faith, you gave it back to me
You said no star was out of reach
You stood by me and I stood tall
I had your love I had it all
I'm grateful for each day you gave me
Maybe I don't know that much
But I know this much is true
I was blessed because I was loved by you

I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

You were always there for me
The tender wind that carried me
A light in the dark shining your love into my life
You've been my inspiration
Through the lies you were the truth
My world is a better place because of you

I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

(bis)

I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

I think Chloe is on her way back to being her normal self; she just knocked down over half the contents of one of my shelves in one neat dive. :mad: :laugh: :hug:

Yep...she's back, she's back...little troublemaker...

:cute:

I still miss my Tommy though. :(

Back
Top Bottom