on the new album and my U2fandom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unforgettableFOXfire

I serve MacPhisto
Apart from the fact that its been almost a year, or maybe even more than a year since Ive posted on the actual boards here, I do have a confession to make.

While I still love U2, the new album is probably one of my least favourites.

I can't even explain why. The only song I don't even care for is Vertigo, and I like all the other ones. I loved some of the press that the album got, and I loved what the band had to say. I still respect bono for his political efforts, and everything. The new album is vibrant, alive, and ringing with new energy and a departure from ATYCLB. And yet... it still ranks behind JT, AB, Pop, R&H, ATYCLB, and boy. Was it become too pop-oriented? I don't even think it was that. ATYCLB was really popular, and that didn't bother me. It's not even like the whole 'yeah we're sellouts because selling out is awesome' thing did anything but make me laugh. I'm truly at a loss to explain why I've only listened to the album a handful of times since christmas, and why I always change the channel or station when I hear it on the radio or see it on tv. I just don't like it that much.

And the thing is, I'm still going to see them in Toronto in the fall, and I've actually come to fear the passion and the vigour with which some people defend the band. I almost don't even want to go see them as a U2 fan, but just as a music lover; I fear telling other U2 fans that I don't like the new album, as the resultant conversation is invariably the same: 'OMG, you don't like the new album?! Blasphemer! Bono is a hot angelic manbeast to whom I must make sweet monkey love! Get out of my sight, traitor!' ... okay, well, obviously it's not as bad as that, but still... Its hard to relax when you might offend someone's sensibilities when you say you don't really like their favourite song/album, and they get into a whole discussion about how/why its awesome and try to demonstrate how much more knowledge about U2 they've come to possess by reading every article, seeing every documentary, interview, as though their knowing more made their opinion more right/made them a 'better' fan. Why people try to make others feel inferior because of this kind of stuff, when they should be enjoying themselves, irunno.

I feel detached from everyone, that I can't relate to the U2 community anymore, and that I ought best observe the awesomeness of the band from the outside; free of the frenzied fanatacism of bonoholics and lusty larry mullen fans. And hence my disappearance, and continued absence.

I hope everyone's doing well.

Take care.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
'OMG, you don't like the new album?! Blasphemer! Bono is a hot angelic manbeast to whom I must make sweet monkey love! Get out of my sight, traitor!'

:laugh:

While I still love the band as much as I did when I started getting into them, I can see where you're coming from. These fans are rabid in their defense of the band and, frankly, that scares me. I'm not talking about ones who are just passionate about being a U2 fan and who really do love most everything they've ever done; I'm talking about the ones who will pick a fight just because another fan can't for the life of them see one good reason why Acrobat should be played live. ;)

I feel detached from everyone, that I can't relate to the U2 community anymore, and that I ought best observe the awesomeness of the band from the outside; free of the frenzied fanatacism of bonoholics and lusty larry mullen fans.

Hey, I take offense to that, Mister. ;)

We miss you around here. Hope all is well kiddo. :)

Re: Re: on the new album and my U2fandom

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I'm talking about the ones who will pick a fight just because another fan can't for the life of them see one good reason why Acrobat should be played live. ;)

Well, apart from Acrobat being one of the best songs ever written ;) I agree with you, though. I like U2 but the idea of getting ragey because someone doesnt have the same fervor about them is just absurd. Of course, laughing at these people just ticks them off even more. lol.

Hey, I take offense to that, Mister. ;)

We miss you around here. Hope all is well kiddo. :)

:p don't be offended. If I were a lady, or gay, I'd totally be a lusty larry mullen fan myself. Maybe not fanfic/posting pictures and drooling lusty, but, ya know ;P

Everything is going well, though. It's been a long year, though. When I'm done my next 2 exams, I might start popping in more frequently over the summer months, catch people's tour pictures and stuff. Of course, I might be too busy working and having sex (not at the same time, though), so we'll have to wait and see. :laugh: Having a proper life is wonderful.

My journal here is going to stay on permanent lockdown, though. People who want to be involved in my life know where to find me.

Cheers.

The new album isn't really near the top for me either.

But I'll see you in Toronto in the fall! Come and say hi. :wink:

Your journal was fun too.

anitram said:
The new album isn't really near the top for me either.

But I'll see you in Toronto in the fall! Come and say hi. :wink:

Your journal was fun too.

My girlfriend bought the tickets, and I'm not sure which show it is, but I'll keep an eye out :)

Back
Top Bottom