"No Gifts" is BS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Why do people put 'No Gifts' on birthday party/wedding/whatever invitations? They're still expecting you to bring a gift. They tell you not to but they'll still be offended or insulted if you don't. It is BS.

Seems to me, anyone who tells me "No Gifts" then gets pissed because I read their invitation and properly followed directions was just looking to stroke their own ego i.e. "Look how much everyone loves me! - I told them not to bring gifts, but they think I'm so swell, they just couldn't help themselves!!"

These people are not worthy of my time, concern, gifts or presence in their lives. :|

namckur, have you actually experienced someone getting pissed when you don't bring them gifts?? :huh:

It's my birthday next month [17th] and like last year, I'll probably just ask for a couple of records and so on...but I'm quite serious when I say people shouldn't make a fuss about it in the way of gifts, etc...I just get a bit embarassed that people go to such fuss!! :ohmy:

The only time I've seen this was on a wedding invitation. The couple was leaving to do missions in a third world country for an indefinite period of time and honestly didn't need any appliances or housewares. Instead, they gave an account for their favorite non-profit so you could donate there instead of buying a gift.

If I receive a no gifts invitation, I don't bring a gift...period. I might bring a card or a bottle of wine but that's it. If the person who did the inviting gets pissed, too bad. Don't say no gifts unless you mean no gifts.

Likewise, if I extend a no gifts invitation, I HONESTLY don't expect gifts. I get a little miffed when people ignore my request and bring them anyway. It makes the people who actually listened and didn't bring one feel like asses, just like in the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode April mentioned :wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
The only time I've seen this was on a wedding invitation. The couple was leaving to do missions in a third world country for an indefinite period of time and honestly didn't need any appliances or housewares. Instead, they gave an account for their favorite non-profit so you could donate there instead of buying a gift.

:up:

We had a 60th birthday party to attend at the start of the year and the person said no gifts but a donation for the Tsunami.

A group of us bought a small gift to show him how much we cared but we also put in a generous amount for his collection. We raised a good amount that night and had a ball!

That was a personal thing to buy the gift, if it hadn't been someone close I would have taken a bottle of wine or flowers.

Oh by the way I hit 40 this year, had a small party but hell I was having all the presents I could get!!

Call me a selfish bitch but I don't care!

OMG, I hate the no gifts thing. My friend had a birthday party, I can't remember if it was for her, or for her 1 year old, (it was a few years ago) but the invitation clearly stated no gifts. So...I didn't bring one, and I was the ONLY one. :mad: I was so embarassed, and so humiliated at having been put in that position! :angry:

Bono's American Wife said:
If I receive a no gifts invitation, I don't bring a gift...period. I might bring a card or a bottle of wine but that's it. If the person who did the inviting gets pissed, too bad. Don't say no gifts unless you mean no gifts.

Likewise, if I extend a no gifts invitation, I HONESTLY don't expect gifts. I get a little miffed when people ignore my request and bring them anyway. It makes the people who actually listened and didn't bring one feel like asses, just like in the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode April mentioned :wink:

Wanna know how far our No Gifts policy extends; BAW and I never buy each other Xmas gifts; we buy our own and let each other wrap them and then, Surprise! but we got what we wanted and its worked for 17 years...No gifts; I like that policy.

I've never seen that here, we all like gifts I guess :D... and I think is weird, but I can understand in the case that liv posted.

I did a little reunion for my graduation party... but I didn't expect giftsfrom my friends... I didn't tell them cuz it would sound too pretentious I guess, and I knew that any of us have money :huh: so I didn't mentioned the gifts thing... they brought me wine, candies and stuff like that.

If I was to receive a "no gifts" message from anybody other than my mom, my dad, or my sister, I would oblige. Ask (for nothing) and you shall receive (nothing). :wink:

melon said:
I wonder if it is rude to say "Bring Money"? :sexywink:

Melon

here there's a thing called "cash rain" when you bring money instead of a gift. Is usual in girl's 15th birthdays (like the american 16th birthday). If you write "bring money" it would be rude I guess... but I've found some invitation cards when there's a "cash rain" note.. but it doesn't force anybody to not bring a gift... and I think is better to give cash in some cases.

HMm.......... maybe I'll find someone who says " no gifts" for their wedding, and then wait outside...

when guests with gifts come, I'll just take it out of their hands, saying I was a hired "gift negator". My payment will be the gifts, of course.

Of course........... having a bunch of toasters as my loot might not be as flattering as I perceive....... :eyebrow: :(

For Honor said:
HMm.......... maybe I'll find someone who says " no gifts" for their wedding, and then wait outside...

when guests with gifts come, I'll just take it out of their hands, saying I was a hired "gift negator". My payment will be the gifts, of course.

Of course........... having a bunch of toasters as my loot might not be as flattering as I perceive....... :eyebrow: :(

:lmao:

oh, and a note to all guys: if a girl says she doesn't want a gift for whatever, she's lying. :wink:

Mrs. Edge said:
OMG, I hate the no gifts thing. My friend had a birthday party, I can't remember if it was for her, or for her 1 year old, (it was a few years ago) but the invitation clearly stated no gifts. So...I didn't bring one, and I was the ONLY one. :mad: I was so embarassed, and so humiliated at having been put in that position! :angry:

I know! I was invited to a birthday party with a "no gifts" rule. We were just supposed to bring a potluck item for the meal (which I did -- a very nice one at that). But I didn't bring a gift...and everyone else did. I was not amused. :grumpy:

melon said:
I wonder if it is rude to say "Bring Money"? :sexywink:

Melon

I was invited to a bridal shower earlier this year and on the bottom of the invitation it said:

"Please note, this is a cash only shower."

Back
Top Bottom